Corsair Community

Corsair High Performance SP120 fans

Nomanor

Their top speed is rated at 2350 RPM

Any idea if I can drop it with a Fan Controller? For example, when the system is idle, would i be able to dial down the speed to 1400 or something?

They also ship with an in-line resistor that will drop the speed approximately by half.

They also ship with an in-line resistor that will drop the speed approximately by half.

So there is no reason to buy the "Quiet" version, i can just get High Performance and drop the speed when needed, right?

Well not exactly. The in-line resistor is a separate cable that attaches to the regular cable. To vary the speed at will means you'd have to go into your case and remove the resistor cable when you wanted to increase the speed (and the reverse when you want to slow them down). So if you want to vary the speed on the fly then, yes, you'll need a fan controller. I apologize; I realize now I misread your original question.

I recently purchased one of these Fans for some reason my motherboard monitoring software (AI suite Thermal Radar) and the bios doesn't sense it and reads 0 rpm even though it actually spins up physically. Faulty fan? or to do with my mobo?

I've tried all the other fan headers which pick up my other fans, just not the Corsair SP120 high performance.

Blah, Took my fan back and it seems to be working fine on their Asus motherboard, They suggested a bios update and a CMOS reset, Completed both of those tasks and its still not reading the fan... So puzzled.

Are you using another monitoring program at the same time as AI Suite? If so, that is the problem. AI Suite can get confused when another program is reading fan speeds or temps.

Have you tried the fan on any other fan headers on your board? Some AMD board fan headers have optional settings such as PWM or voltage control which must be set for whatever fan you are using.

No other monitoring system is being used, tried every fan header on the motherboard, all the the other fans work fine but this one. even in the bios it reads as N/A, however it does sometimes flicker for a split second showing very low rpm like 50 or so then goes back to N/A. I even attached the voltage step down adapter to the fan to no avail. My motherboard just can't recognise/monitor this fan in any header even after a Bios flash and CMOS reset.

which is silly because my motherboard is bearly a year old.

• 6 months later...

I just picked them up and slapped them onto my H80i and i connected them to my motherboards CPU fans i use a Asus p8z77-v mobo

and now there quiet running at 1600rpm now i can actually tolerate them, i use to hook it up to the corsair link and they run at 2000 rpm and sounded like jet engines

• Corsair Employee
Although, I thought they released a new firmware to enhance compatibility, but I can't confirm.

That would be on a later version. For now, only the H80i stocks fans will be the only fan that can fully utilize the fan controller on the cooler.

Archived