Corsair Community

Incompatible corsair ram

1974darrenh

I have bought a computer that has one stick of Corsair CML16GX3M2A1600C10 installed. Runs fine on its own. I also have a new stick of Corsair CML8GX3M1A1600C10 which also runs fine on its own, but if I put the 2 together, my PC wont boot at all.

Motherboard is ASUS P8Z77-V-LX with latest BIOS update.

Any ideas please?

:confused:

You’ve combined modules from two different kits. It is electrically sensitive enough that subtle material differences can cause problems. These two appear to be the same size and type, so you might have a shot at it by upping voltage a little. You likely cannot use XMP to set the 1600 overclock value and will need to manually set timings for anything other than 1333.

What happened the other 8GB stick from the CML16.... kit? Was this bought from a builder who split the kit apart?

It will be BIOS specific. Most Asus BIOS let you enter by mashing delete. Then within it you will need to find "DRAM voltage". DDR3 is typically 1.50v at default. You should be able to go up to 1.65v. I also would check to see if XMP is enabled. Having it on with a mixed kit likely leads to instant failure and if it is enabled, unchecking it could resolve the prime issue. Edited by c-attack