Corsair Community

H80iGT fan RPM 0 pump RPM 900

WarshipOwl

Hi,

I've been reading so many different things on this and nothing seems to have fixed it so far but the sound of my fan is really starting to annoy me and I cant control its speed!

First up I'm running a i7 6700 cpu on a ASUS Z170-p motherboard with a H80iGT cooling. Its not a new system or anything, ive had it quite a while, it was only the gpu that got upgraded from its original.

In my attached image you can see what my link is showing me and I cant do anything to control the CPU Fan but I can control the pump from 900rpm in "quiet" mode to 1770 rpm in "performance" the actual sound different in that pump is pretty much nothing because of how loud the CPU fan is right now.

i've read this can be because of ASUS Qfan control thing. I tried disabling that but then my fan hits like 2000rpm and gets even louder. When it boots into windows the fan speed shows in link but I have zero control over it still.

I also tried ignoring using Link and trying to use the Qfan control but it doesnt let me manually choose fan speeds, i'm locked at 75% speed minimum and in quiet mode i think its like 40-50%

What is going on here? I want quiet fans when idle... :( being on this forum shouldnt be taxing my fans.

Please help me :(:

Link.thumb.PNG.de50facd791b2c0efd3c45d7d736d296.PNG

You are cutting the voltage to cooler below the point where it can start the PWM fans and also putting a lot of electrical strain on the pump. Both fans and pump are meant to run at 12v. You need to put QFan control for header powering the unit back to “disabled” or “full speed”. Both lock the power supply at 12v. Then you can adjust the fans from within Link using the Configure tab. Click on the fans rpm reading.

However, if you connected the fans to motherboard then it is normal for the AIO fan controller to read 0 rpm and you need to sort things through the BIOS for the fan headers. The pump still needs its 12v and that header still needs to be at disabled/full speed.

You are cutting the voltage to cooler below the point where it can start the PWM fans and also putting a lot of electrical strain on the pump. Both fans and pump are meant to run at 12v. You need to put QFan control for header powering the unit back to “disabled” or “full speed”. Both lock the power supply at 12v. Then you can adjust the fans from within Link using the Configure tab. Click on the fans rpm reading.

However, if you connected the fans to motherboard then it is normal for the AIO fan controller to read 0 rpm and you need to sort things through the BIOS for the fan headers. The pump still needs its 12v and that header still needs to be at disabled/full speed.

Hey thanks for responding.

So the system was built by SCAN about 4 years ago maybe. I only really noticed the sound this year but havent had time to do anything about it.

If I do the above, as in my original post it just gives me no control and the speeds go max. full speed everything and no control at all! It does however begin to read the RPM of the cpu fan! so there is no issue with it being able to see the rpm.

Here are some photos I tried to get of the system. You'll see the h80iGT is only 3 pin? and sits in the CPU fan header. then they for whatever reason put a cable that says " to motherboard cpu fan" into the chasis fan slot which then goes round the back to this little bridge like board which i assume is for hooking up multiple fans? however it is only hooked up to the front chasis fan! nothing else... why?

So with this setup I assume its all plugged into the correct location? but with qfan control ON I have control over my water pump but nothing about cpu fan. with it disabled I have no control of anything but both RPMs read maximum output.

Just to note, the pump and fan are working... they arent idle. I just cant control anything about the cpu fan and it reads 0rpm.

278511476_WhatsAppImage2020-09-12at16_57_40.thumb.jpeg.83266a207f3a027cdf9e1bb43936b786.jpeg

328725917_WhatsAppImage2020-09-12at16_57.41(4).thumb.jpeg.835d00f1d25cb43890435dd507e57dff.jpeg

2126958895_WhatsAppImage2020-09-12at16_57.41(2).thumb.jpeg.af12aa595d5da324fce0df96a90a6664.jpeg

1615789636_WhatsAppImage2020-09-12at16_57.41(1).thumb.jpeg.261b7b84c0a3683cadb558c28d4a38fe.jpeg

Let's be super clear - if you aren't providing the full 12V to the pump, it is not working correctly.

As for the profile - no it isn't quiet. Part of it is the curve, part is the fans. You can absolutely adjust the curve so that it isn't quite so obnoxious.

but i cant configure the curve? thats why im here asking why i cant control anything about it...

you and the over both say make sure its getting the full 12V but as i've shown above, disabling everything smashes it to max.

So you say you are being clear...but you arent be clear at all! you say i can absolutely adjust it, i'm saying it wont let me.

Edited by WarshipOwl

Did scan take your H80i v2 header and run it to a fan hub on the back of the motherboard? One that appears to be sharing control with other case fans? I can see why that would be a problem and it would make all the case fans run at maximum.

If the above is true, you need to get the H80i v2 lead off that hub and put it directly on CPU fan. Then take the fan hub master control lead that is on CPU fan now and move it to a CHA_FAN header. DO NOT use OPT. It will copy the CPU fan header.

Now that you have separated the case fans from the H80i's power delivery, you can run the cooler properly, controlling it's fans through Link and the case fans through the BIOS.

Did scan take your H80i v2 header and run it to a fan hub on the back of the motherboard? One that appears to be sharing control with other case fans? I can see why that would be a problem and it would make all the case fans run at maximum.

If the above is true, you need to get the H80i v2 lead off that hub and put it directly on CPU fan. Then take the fan hub master control lead that is on CPU fan now and move it to a CHA_FAN header. DO NOT use OPT. It will copy the CPU fan header.

Now that you have separated the case fans from the H80i's power delivery, you can run the cooler properly, controlling it's fans through Link and the case fans through the BIOS.

I believe from what I can see the cooler is going straight to the CPU header (is it meant to only be 3 pins from the cooler?) and the hub CPU port is going to the chasis header. The hub almost seems pointless because its only powering 1 chasis fan! so the fan could go straight the chasis fan itself. Sorry my phone camera is real blurry these days but I'll rename the photos to be clearer whats in them!

so hub to chasis - the cable with the cpu sticker on it (i dont know why) goes to chasis header from the hub cpu port.

the from hub - is from the hub into the chasis header

cooler - straight from side of the cooler into the cpu header with 3 pins

hubtochasis.thumb.PNG.cf608035f2fa722b753ab1e84bc856a4.PNG

fromhub.PNG.3862c6fec30322811731e6c70c11bda7.PNG

cooler.thumb.PNG.202e1983f6b353827f737568f16ffce0.PNG

OK, then if the hub is not tied to other case fans and it's only the H80i v2 fans blasting, that is something you should be able control through Link.

On the Configure tab, go to the right and click on the fan RPM number between the pump speed and coolant temp. It should create a pop up box with control. If I remember correctly, there are two way to access the graph, but I haven't used Link in a few years now.

OK, then if the hub is not tied to other case fans and it's only the H80i v2 fans blasting, that is something you should be able control through Link.

On the Configure tab, go to the right and click on the fan RPM number between the pump speed and coolant temp. It should create a pop up box with control. If I remember correctly, there are two way to access the graph, but I haven't used Link in a few years now.

Yes and this is where my problem begins. It ignores the curve.

See attached - https://forum.corsair.com/v3/attachment.php?attachmentid=39032&d=1599927163. Its a silent profile and shouldnt be reaching 100% speeds.

Custom profile with even lower curves does nothing. None of them will control the fan. which is why im at a complete loss to why i cant get it to just work.

Perhaps we are looking at this the wrong way and it’s a fan issue. Try swapping the two fan connectors on the H80i splitter. If the controlling fan has a PWM wire issue, this is what would happen. You only need one of the two in control.

If that does not work, then it’s possible there is a problem with the controller. You need to run the pump at 12v or your temps will be terrible. Thus the better solution is to move the two radiator fans to the MB for control. That would also indicate if there is a fan problem or not.