Corsair Community

New High End Build Running Hot

toro1966

hey folks - brand new to the forums here. I just finished a new build - specs below and the temps seem very high, even at idle. My system:

Ryzen 9 3900X

MSI MEG ACE X570 MB

Corsair 680X Crystal Case

32GB DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB

PCIe Gen 4 Sabrent 1TB NVME SSD

Corsair H100i AIO (240)

Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super GPU

Fans: 3 120s in front as intake. 1x120 in rear as exhaust. 2x120s in bottom as intake, AIO (240) at top of case with fans exhausting over the radiator out of the case.

Temps - 47-55ish at idle. Under load when doing the Heaven Benchmark temps went up to 71 (based on Core Temp 1.15.1 app). Using Cinebench for about 5 minutes, temp went up to 77 deg.

AIO seems to be working and all fans running. iCue shows both fans and pump in AIO. I have them set to balanced right now but have put them on extreme with no real change in Fans set to PWM in BIOS with MSI "Smart Fan" checked to regulate speed based on temp.

Any thoughts? Only thing I can think of is to set top radiator to intake and bottom 120s to exhaust. Wondering if it's the AIO or case design. My son has nearly this exact same spec'd setup but in a NZXT H710i case using a Deepcool Castle 360 EX AIO and his temps are significantly lower (35-40) at idle.

System is stock and not overclocked. Only have XMP enabled in BIOS. All fans in BIOS set to PWM. Thanks in advance for any help.

Regardless of CPU make or model, the actual wattage coming off the CPU at idle is a pittance and any cooler can easily expel it without effort. When you see higher than expected idle temperatures, there are usually two things to check: 1) the internal case temperature is 40 something degrees and thus everything else must be that as a minimum temperature (not likely in this instance); 2) the CPU is being loaded with voltage and thus has reason not to be at low idle.

The second can be harder to spot on recent CPUs because of new methods of handling CPU power states at the hardware level. Take a look at your Vcore. If it never drops down below 1.00V, it likely is being kept up by something. However, the days of old where the processor just sat on 0.60v all day long are gone and this is part of the CPU power states referenced above. Windows power plans are another one to watch. Not uncommon for people to put it on "High Performance" without being aware that has a 100% uptime for the clocks.

You also should make a comparison of the coolant temperature in iCUE (H100i Temp) to CPU temps. If there is a genuine load, the coolant is going up. Most people will have an idle coolant temp of +4-7C above room temperature and I would expect a load rise of between 6-10C on a 240mm with that processor, but it is a bit application dependent. If you see 20C room temp, 24C coolant temp, and 40C idle temp, something is probably keeping the Vcore up. I don't think you have a contact issue or the stress tests would have ended in seconds.

Thanks c-

I do have the power management set to Ryzen Balanced I believe it is in the Windows power profiles. I did look at CPU-Z and I never saw any did below 1.17 or so. It was usually between 1.3 and 1.4.

I did look at the iCue temps and the coolant temp is about 32, the ambient temp is in the low 20's (21-22), and the cpu temp is 45-60 at idle.

+10C over ambient is a bit warm. Does the top glass feel hot as well?

So the CPU voltage is usually up. That is now common, but compare this to the actual CPU % load in Task Manager, iCUE, etc. Obviously if it is running 15-20%+ all the time, something is using CPU resources. Also even with warmer than expect environmental conditions, the CPU should sit around the coolant temp --- low to mid 30s and not what you are reporting. That suggests there is some activity or load.

Quit iCUE from the task manger and monitor CPU temps from another app. There were initial reports of any monitoring program keeping Ryzen 3000 clocks up, but I am unsure of the current status. There was a lot of politicking around as to whether AMD should have made different behavior decisions or whether all program creators need to change the fundamental design of their products. Last I heard there were some BIOS updates to alleviate some of this, so it may also be down to setting up the BIOS behaviors -- something also necessary on Intel platforms before running synthetic stress tests.