Corsair Community

120gb SSD only displaying 112gb

As I was installing windows 7 on my new Corsair Reactor Series CSSD-R120GB2-BRKT 2.5" 120GB I noticed that it said 112 gb. I didn't think much of it till I was done. Sure enough its only recognized as having 112gb. I checked to make sure there wasn't any other partitions created and there wasn't. Is this common? I couldn't find anything related anywhere. What can be done? Thanks in advance.

yeah that's typical. My P128 is 119GB. Manufactures use the 1000mb = 1gb but it's really 1024MB per GB and that's what the computer reports. It's basically marketing and it won't change unless everyone in the industry changes. If someone advertises 120GB and someone else advertises 112GB your not going to notice the small print that says 1000MB = 1GB or 1024MB = 1GB.

• 2 weeks later...

This happens on all hard drives, you'll notice a difference in the advertised and actual amount of space on HDDs as well. This has been going on for years. It's just an accepted industry standard.

Yes, it is because the advertised space goes by the shortcut that 1000mb is 1 Gb, when in reality 1024mb is 1Gb. The computer reads the actual space on the disk and the advertised space is going by the short cut.

Another note...the larger the hard drive you have, the more difference there will be due to there being a 24mb difference in each Gb calculated.

Archived