Corsair Community

H80i still incomplete after 3 months of back and forth with Corsair!

Specter

First off i would like to say that i am a patient individual and do not usually take someones head off when they screw up, i believe in giving someone a chance to fix their mistake as we all make them. This on the other had in a 3 month on going issue with missing hardware and incompetent customer support when reached by phone. This was my first Corsair product and just may be my last all based on this unresolved ongoing terrible first time experience!

A little background story.

I purchased my H80i on 12/2/2012, it was a bold move after watching many reviews and pictures and all the fame Corsair receives for it products from many review sites I jumped on this cooler because i did not want another Asetek clone with some companies branding. This was from CoolIT, better block, thicker hoses, SATA connection, and a nice double thick 120 rad. Then there was the $15 off promo code along with $15 MIR which made it almost $70. Where could i go wrong i thought. Big mistake.

I received my unit on 12/5/2012 and unboxed my unit right away and to my surprise i am missing the Y cable to power the fans, 4 washers, and the 4 short screws i needed to mount the unit using a single fan which is how i wanted to mount the unit :mad:.

Attached image 1 showing what i received after unboxing

No problem i contact Newegg for an RMA but i should not have to pay to ship back an incomplete product or a restocking fee because someone did a poor quality check so i went straight to Corsair Tech Support that very same day explaining what was missing from my unit and if they can ship it out to me. This was on 12/5/2012.

Within 24 hours i received a generated email asking for my shipping info so they can mail out the missing parts. Fine. I was happy, in less that 15 minutes of receiving the email i replied back with my shipping information and started to read this forum and discovered many users complaining about pump noise, noisy fans, horrible software, etc. I reached out to a friend who also had an H80i and borrowed their Y cable since strangely they were not using it, hooked up my unit on a test bench install Corsair link 2.2 and flashed 1.0.4 firmware and ran into the same issues as users on this forum. My pump was quiet but my fans were loud, when i set the software to "quiet" they let off a high pitch wine. No problem, i went out and brought 2 PWM fans from another company hooked them up to the unit and no more noise, but then the unit could not control the fans properly, it was either "quiet mode" which ran the fans at the lowest 800RPM or any other mode that ran the fans full blast at 1500RPM. I now knew why my friend was not using the Y cable, the software sucked! I connected the fans to my motherboard header with a PWM Y cable and it was way better.

A week goes by it is now 12/17/2012, no word from Corsair about my missing items. I had to hunt on this forums for a number to call Corsair. That is ridiculous the number is not on the "contact us" link. So i finally call, and after all the waiting and transferring i am told they will transfer to someone who will assist me. Great, i ask for the extension umber so i can get right to that person if the connection drops, #270. Guess what, im transfered right to voicemail. Im on the phone for more that 10 minutes and i get transfered to voicemail? That is bull and not the way to treat a customer.

I call back within a few minutes and get transfered to the same voicemail again. Now im getting upset and start asking for names because someone is not doing their job. Harold, #270 have a name, and i finally got to them on the 3rd try. I am told that i would be issued an RMA and he would update the ticket. Great. Im happy again i can play with my new toy on Christmas :D:. Nope :mad:. Corsair shuts down for the holidays, so now i have to wait till January for my items.

It is now 1/16/2013, a month has gone by and i still cannot use my unit as it was intended. I can no longer return the unit to Newegg for a refund and cut my losses either because i already cut out the UPC code and mailed in the MIR, I am stuck dealing with Corsair. I call, again transfered to voicemail, call again, used the extension, right to voicemail. Called back sounding upset and i got back to the same Harold again. I asked whats going on with my parts? I get the most illogical response, "they did not receive the unit." I almost snapped but i maintain my peace, calmly explained according to my case number that was created on the 6th of December these parts were suppose to be mailed out to me, i was not suppose to mail anything back.

Fine. Harold comes through, he would ship out the screw kit so at least i can mount it in my case with proper screws, but they do not have any Y cables, I didnt care i just wanted to mount the thing since im running non corsair fans from the motherboard. 2 days later i get a package. Im happy:D:!

I open the package and now im beginning to see a pattern of incompetence:roll:. I receive 8 long screws (Item D), 8 washers (Item J), and 8 thumbscrews to secure the block to the CPU (Item K). The only thing right in that package was the washers!!

Attached image 2 showing what was mailed to me

The very same day i updated my case number, this is on 1/18/2013 and guess what, nothing, nada , zip, zilch from Corsair on my case number.

It is not fair to give a customer the run around with a botched product and make them hold the bag. It is bad enough the unit came with non PWM high pitched wine fans, terrible software that made all my Segate HDDs read heads slam every 3 seconds, and bad enough that i am missing hardware and been brushed aside for 3 months now. The only good that came out of this was i received my MIR, and i was fortunate enough that flashing mine to 1.0.4 firmware did not mess up my unit like so many other users units.

Now i am joining the forums so someone out there from Corsair can read this and fix this. My case number is 5353335 , please look into this and make it right. I am loosing my patience and when it is lost my next stop will be at the BBB website.

dsc01395wh.jpg.26248ea94620738acda9b329d99cb826.jpg

imag0754f.thumb.jpg.853892033753367b1e63a5b920ab45e7.jpg

Specter, the H80i does not come with a y cable. You will need to purchase the y cable separately if you want to run them off the MB since the fans plug into the cooling block itself they are not required..

Heres a list of the package contents from the product description.

Contents

Corsair Hydro Series H80i High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

Magnetic Multi-platform mounting kit for all modern CPU sockets

Dual SP120L High Performance Fans

USB Cable for Corsair Link™ Compatibility

Fan and radiator mounting screws

Thermal compound (pre-applied)

Quick Start Guide

http://www.corsair.com/us/cpu-cooling-kits/hydro-series-water-cooling-cpu-cooler/hydro-series-h80i-high-performance-liquid-cpu-cooler.html

Specter, the H80i does not come with a y cable. You will need to purchase the y cable separately if you want to run them off the MB since the fans plug into the cooling block itself they are not required..

Heres a list of the package contents from the product description.

http://www.corsair.com/us/cpu-cooling-kits/hydro-series-water-cooling-cpu-cooler/hydro-series-h80i-high-performance-liquid-cpu-cooler.html

Also, even the screw kits do not come with a y cable....

http://www.corsair.com/us/parts/cooling-parts/hydro-series-h60-h80-h100-universal-bracket-kit.html

According to your pics you should have everything that comes in a sealed package. What else besides the Ycable do you think your missing?

I am a little puzzled here. First, do you own a H80i?

If you do then please explain to me how did you connect both fans to the CPU block without that proprietary Y cable :confused:.

The first link you provided shows the Y cable in the last image.

The second link you provided shows accessories from the old H series. I have an i model.

Attached is a picture from my instruction manual. Notice (Item L) Fan Power Cable, that is the Y cable, that is the cable i never received, that is the cable i need to run the fans from the CPU block.

dsc01397a.jpg.05e30fab2f09881e9a6ceda652369f05.jpg

Im sorry Specter, I misunderstood you issue....I thought you were wanting a standard y cable so you could run the fans off your MB. Not the power cable for cooling block..Just dis-regard my last post entirely. and I will edit out the parts that are wrong.

However, I really suggest you call them back to have this sorted. RamGuy will eventually see this but it could take a day or so before the ball gets rolling .

Sorry about the confusion.

But, the H80i is shipped with two fans for push/pull configuration.

So, you don't need the short screws, and only four washer for the case side.

That picture looks like the H100i contents

I think the user guide/quick starter is wrong.

But, the H80i is shipped with two fans for push/pull configuration.

So, you don't need the short screws, and only four washer for the case side.

That picture looks like the H100i contents

I think the user guide/quick starter is wrong.

Well the picture of how to set up the push/pull setup for the H80i shows it using 8 washers (one on each screw) so something is amiss here, but i'll appreciate that maybe the short screws aren't meant to be included (but why not).

is an unboxing of the H80i, is in spanish but you can see that there is only 4 washers and no short screws (min 5:28).

You can always mount with one fan in pull configuration.

In that video, look at exactly

, it shows a picture (on the right) of how to set up the push/pull and clearly shows 8 washers with the 8 screws. Again I never made a big fuss about this, but there is clearly something that needs to be fixed - either the hardware included in the H80i kit or the little manual that incorrectly shows what parts you should have.

I would like to thank everyone for their input.

If the manual is indeed wrong on the accessories included then it was a misleading product from the start that affected my purchasing decision.

If i had know before hand that this unit did not ship with all 8 washers or the short screws then i would not have purchased it.:mad:

The washers are essential because it prevents the screws from scratching up the paint job. Also the long screws are too long, if the washers are not used then upon install there is a huge risk of screwing into the radiator fins, damaging them, not to mention stripping out the threads on the radiator making it useless.

To make this unit work as intended i already had to go out and purchase 2 alternate PWM fans, a PWM Y cable, and use 4 of the #6-32*9 screws that came with my case to mount the radiator to the inner fan frame then use traditions screws to mount the outer fan frame to the case (only someone with a Storm Scout 2 will understand why it was mounted this way).

What bothers me most about this whole thing is i had to hunt on the forums for a number to call corsair and every time i called i am transfered to a voicemail box. I should not have to be breathing down someones back to be simply shipped missing items. At this point i do not even care about the Y cable anymore because of the high pitch whine of the cheaply included fans when connected to the CPU block, and the alternate PWM fans i purchased cannot be controlled correctly by Corsair Link so im already running them off the motherboard.

Also the long screws are too long, if the washers are not used then upon install there is a huge risk of screwing into the radiator fins, damaging them, not to mention stripping out the threads on the radiator making it useless.

Not true, You would have to run the screws into the tubes to cause any damage. A couple of bent fins is normal for any cooling loop. Even my custom loop (EK 240 RAD)the screw holes are positioned so they are in line with the fins and not the tubes for this reason.

What bothers me most about this whole thing is i had to hunt on the forums for a number to call corsair and every time i called i am transfered to a voicemail box. I should not have to be breathing down someones back to be simply shipped missing items.

Are you sure your calling when they are open? Thats about the only time CS would go straight to a voicemail. Otherwise it should answer and you would be put on hold if they were busy.

Are you sure your calling when they are open? Thats about the only time CS would go straight to a voicemail. Otherwise it should answer and you would be put on hold if they were busy.

I called them them when they are open because they are 3 hours behind my timezone. When i got home from work at 6-7pm and i called them it should be 3-4pm in the afternoon there so someone is still working. I did get a live person when i called, its when i got transfered to the "parts" department when i got sent straight to voicemail. This is on several occasions, not just one.

I have not called back since 1/16/2013 because i knew if i was transfered to voicemail one more time i would have turned into that disrespectful customer who does nothing but yell and use profanity to get their point across.

I've notified both the tech support supervisor and the product manager. We'll get this sorted out ASAP.

Thank you. Hopefully now some progress can be made through the forums and through the phone it got me nowhere.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employee

Spector

I am sorry that happened we were a little behind through Christmas and New Year and then with Chinese New Year we ran out of a lot of the parts.

Can you provide a list of what you need and your case number and I will see it gets shipped out ASAP Or if we do not have the parts needed will replace the unit for you at our expense.

• 2 weeks later...

It is now more that 5 business days since this thread was updated, and I have not received any communication from Corsair.

Web support was not updated to reflect anything, nor have I received any email indicating anything. It is now March! I brought this thing the first week of December, this is ridiculous. Do I have to become another annoying whining poster asking everyday what my progress, instead of being nice waiting a few business days between posts just to get progress?!

It is now more that 5 business days since this thread was updated, and I have not received any communication from Corsair.

Web support was not updated to reflect anything, nor have I received any email indicating anything. It is now March! I brought this thing the first week of December, this is ridiculous. Do I have to become another annoying whining poster asking everyday what my progress, instead of being nice waiting a few business days between posts just to get progress?!

email and posts take unneeded time for the customer,why not look below and call them directly,itll save time

http://www.corsair.com/us/company/contact/

Alright, I have gathered the specific parts myself and made sure that we are sending out the correct parts. Customer service will contact you shortly for updates.

Thanks, ill give it another few business days from your post to see if im contacted by corsair support with a tracking number.

email and posts take unneeded time for the customer,why not look below and call them directly,itll save time

http://www.corsair.com/us/company/contact/

Did you read the first post of this thread?:confused:

Note of how many times I called and was directed to voicemail, and still got nowhere.

By posting on the forums it voices my opinion publicly, this in turn lets potential buyers know what they may endure after buying the I series coolers.:sunglasse

Thank you, I received the parts today, missed them yesterday because I did not know UPS was coming. As for the parts, still no short screws but what I received will make up for it. Ill just visit the hardware store for the short screws.

Thanks again.

Archived