Corsair Community

CORSAIR Force MP600 Gen4 PCIe x4 NVMe M.2 SSD

I'm building a new PC. Decided to go with the new offerings from AMD. In preparation for Launch Day (July 7), I preordered a 1TB CORSAIR Force MP600 Gen4 PCIe x4 NVMe M.2 SSD along with a RM1000i power supply, H150i Pro AIO, iCue Commander Pro and Vengeance Pro RGB RAM a week and a half ago during the 15% off sale. Then I bought an Asus ROG Strix X570-E motherboard and 3700X on Launch Day. My Corsair order arrived first. I noticed the tall fins on the MP600 heat sink and wondered if 1) it would physically fit on this motherboard and 2) if it didn't fit, then can I take off the factory heat sink and use the ones that come with the Asus motherboard. I tried to get a definitive answer from Corsair Support but no dice. I sent DMs to support via Twitter and nothing. I contacted "CorsairArt" who is labeled as "Manufacturer" on Amazon and that person addressed my second question stating,

"It is not recommended to remove the heatsink as it is required to maintain optimal temperatures for consistently high performance but we will not reject a warranty claim due to a removed heat sink alone."

Since I couldn't get a definitive answer to my first question I decided to try myself. When the motherboard arrived, I tried to install MP600 with the heat sink and unfortunately it doesn't fit in either slot with Asus chipset fan cover on. (see attached). Asus support says the cover is required in order for the fan to properly cool the M.2 SSDs.

My question is, do I take the recommended heat sink off so I can use the ones which came with my motherboard and see what happens? Feel like I'm the guinea pig here as it appears no one seems to know. Or should I return it? I'm leaning towards returning it but no one from Corsair Support is responding to my inquiries.

MP600.thumb.JPEG.537e8f082ca9480161b27c8b5b449ff7.JPEG

Looks like Corsair have just re-badged a NVMe heatsink which is readily available on eBay for a modest sum. I toyed with the idea of purchasing a pair some time ago for my Synology DS-918+ cache, but eventually went for something slimmer instead. These type of heatsinks are normally attached with a semi-sticky thermal pad, which should be easy to remove. Whether, or not, this is how Corsair do it, only you will know.

This review shows it without the heatsink... https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/corsair-mp600-pcie-4-nvme-ssd-review,1.html

Whereas Corsair should be applauded for actually supplying a heatsink, it may be superfluous for high-end mobo's that have factory fitted NVMe heatsinks, as you have noted.

It's the same with my Aorus Master mobo.

If it were me, I'd remove it and stick with the mobo heatsink. You could always stick the body of the Corsair heatsink on top of the mobo heatsink, if it has a flat top !

PS. Having read that review of the MP600, I'm happy sticking with the two MP510 960Gb drives that I bought for a song, on my mobo at least !

Edited by Yemble

One thing to keep in mind on the NVMe drives and the spreaders that come on a board they tend to only keep one side cool(?). Only board I have seen that deals with both sides is the MSI Meg Ace (IIRC). But that only applies to drives that use both sides of the PCB.

But I also prefer Samsung drives, not that it makes much of a difference in this case :)

I'm building a new PC. Decided to go with the new offerings from AMD. In preparation for Launch Day (July 7), I preordered a 1TB CORSAIR Force MP600 Gen4 PCIe x4 NVMe M.2 SSD along with a RM1000i power supply, H150i Pro AIO, iCue Commander Pro and Vengeance Pro RGB RAM a week and a half ago during the 15% off sale. Then I bought an Asus ROG Strix X570-E motherboard and 3700X on Launch Day. My Corsair order arrived first. I noticed the tall fins on the MP600 heat sink and wondered if 1) it would physically fit on this motherboard and 2) if it didn't fit, then can I take off the factory heat sink and use the ones that come with the Asus motherboard. I tried to get a definitive answer from Corsair Support but no dice. I sent DMs to support via Twitter and nothing. I contacted "CorsairArt" who is labeled as "Manufacturer" on Amazon and that person addressed my second question stating,

"It is not recommended to remove the heatsink as it is required to maintain optimal temperatures for consistently high performance but we will not reject a warranty claim due to a removed heat sink alone."

Since I couldn't get a definitive answer to my first question I decided to try myself. When the motherboard arrived, I tried to install MP600 with the heat sink and unfortunately it doesn't fit in either slot with Asus chipset fan cover on. (see attached). Asus support says the cover is required in order for the fan to properly cool the M.2 SSDs.

My question is, do I take the recommended heat sink off so I can use the ones which came with my motherboard and see what happens? Feel like I'm the guinea pig here as it appears no one seems to know. Or should I return it? I'm leaning towards returning it but no one from Corsair Support is responding to my inquiries.

I personally can't wait to ditch the 570-E.

Layout of the chipset fan sits right smack dab in the middle of a beefy GPU in the 1st slot. Add in to install/remove the m2 drive you need to unscrew said chipset fan cover(non captive #$@@#%^@#$ tiny screws) then the 2 heatsink screws. After removing the GPU btw, which isn't exactly the easiest considering the lock tab for the slot is about 3/16" away from the heatsink for the top m2 as well as the chipset cover.

I don't know if there are gen4 cards that don't sacrifice speed, but looking into that in the 1st slot and moving the GPU down to clear the chipset fan would be my first inclination.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
My mobo has two m.2 slots (Crosshair Hero VIII), one tied to the CPU pcie lanes, the other tied to the x570 chipset. I installed mine in the lower chipset slot, leaving the corsair heatsink on, because the first slot requires that you use the mobo heatsink no matter what. Has anyone done any testing on which method provides better cooling?