Corsair Community

Really confused concerning Gigabyte EX58-UD4P and dominator 1600 memory

bratboy

I hope someone can help me on this. I just ordered a nice new Gigabyte EX58-UD4P and 6 2xgig sticks of Dominator 1600 DDR3 Memory.

Now if I'm understanding correctly I can only use 3 Sticks over 1333 speed in triple channel mode and then only at 1333 speed? At least according to this page at Gigabyte:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/MemorySupport/motherboard_memory_ga-ex58-ud4p.pdf

Is that correct and if I want to use all 12 megs in triple channel I'll have to run at 1333? or if I am willing to run a dual channel mode then I can use all 12 gigs? What would be my best option since I run Vista x64

Would appreciate some advice

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Corsair Employee

This board should run the 6 modules just fine. However, their specification is stating that the MOBO does not "officially" support 6 modules at speeds above 1333. However, this will be mostly dependent upon your CPU and specifically the memory controller. So, it will all depend on how strong the memory controller is on your CPU. There is no guarantee here but most i7 CPUs I have seen with users trying 12GB have gone above 1600. You'll need to install and test for stability.

Let us know if you have any issues.

Ack, I had sent a question asking Gigabyte support about this and this was their response <cringe>

"Hello,

1600,1800,2000 DDR3 are supported on this board, please log on this web click on memory support list for info :

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2986

Note : memory higher then 1333mhz only support single stick per channel, mother board has 3 channel 6 slots that tells on 3 stick memory can be use when using 1600,1800,2000 mhz type memory ."

Does this mean I need to look for a different MB if I want to use all 12 gigs and if so what MB would you recommend?

• Corsair Employee

I have seen users with 6 modules but not specifically 6 of our 1600s. So far, the Gigabyte X58s seem very stable with 6 up.

Most with 6 modules running above 1333 have to make some minor adjustments to the memory controller voltage due to the load of running 6 up.

• Corsair Employee

The same answer above still applies. I have not personally tested this Gigabyte MOBO but, in general the Gigabyte X58 boards are doing well in the cases where I have seen 6 modules. As noted, this is mainly dependent upon the memory controller which is on your EE 965 CPU.

This board should run the 6 modules just fine. However, their specification is stating that the MOBO does not "officially" support 6 modules at speeds above 1333. However, this will be mostly dependent upon your CPU and specifically the memory controller. So, it will all depend on how strong the memory controller is on your CPU. There is no guarantee here but most i7 CPUs I have seen with users trying 12GB have gone above 1600. You'll need to install and test for stability.

Well I still have time to change my MB choice. Whats the status on the P6T motherboards by ASUS? Do they handle 6 x 2gb well, their manual also seems to have the same issue & says:

"Due to Intel CPU spec definition, XMP DIMMs and DDR3-1600 are supported for one DIMM per channel only"

Would I be better off just buying 12 gigs of 1333 speed Dominator memory and saving the 1600 memory for later of can the 1600 speed memory be ran at 1333?

This is all very frustrating to me, hehe

No board manufacturer will support two dimms per channel at XMP or 1600+ Memory.

It is there way of saying that they will not RMA for such issues. They state 12GB and 1600+, not 12GB at 1600+ for this reason.

This does NOT mean the board will not work 12GB four up, it means that if the board does not, you can't RMA it for that reason.

Well I still have time to change my MB choice. Whats the status on the P6T motherboards by ASUS? Do they handle 6 x 2gb well, their manual also seems to have the same issue & says:

"Due to Intel CPU spec definition, XMP DIMMs and DDR3-1600 are supported for one DIMM per channel only"

• Corsair Employee

I personally have run 6 x 2GB on the P6T Deluxe and at well above 1600 using an ES EE965 CPU. But I believe that you will have an equal chance using the Gigabyte or ASUS MOBO and again, for the same reasons posted above relating to your CPU.

Please note again, this is dependent upon the memory controller on the CPU, NOT the motherboard.

I have merged your threads and answered this question multiple times. Please do not create multiple threads on the same topic.

My apologies, was trying to ask in different ways to see if someone else had actual experience I could get feedback from.

Anyway so is the best thing to do then to put together the new MB install all 6 mem chips, make sure I have the latest bios, boot up go into bios and first load failsafe settings then optimized settings and cross fingers and then if it fails to boot pull 3 of the chips?

You mention possibly needing to up the mem controller voltage. What would you recommend if I'm not planning, at least for now to OC the sytem

Sorry for asking so many "STUPID" questions but this is a new experience for me and I want to do things right/safely

• Corsair Employee

Your questions are not stupid and in many cases, we wish users would ask questions BEFORE acting ;):

My suggestion would be to install the first kit of 3 modules to the system, boot to BIOS, manually set the memory frequency, voltage, and timings to the tested specifications for the memory you buy, and then install the OS. Once you use your system and verify it to be fully stable, power off and install the other memory kit. Then, boot with a Memtest disk and see if the system is stable with 6 modules for 1 full pass of Memtest. If it is stable, boot to the OS and make sure the system is still fully stable.

If you have stability issues, contact us and we'll help you tweak the BIOS.

Okay, will pray and give things a shot. You mentioned using a memtest disk to boot to to test the system after I add the second set of memory. I have only found a version of memtest that requires one of the following OS's,Win98/98SE/Me/2000/XP, at this location:

http://memtest.en.softonic.com/

Is this the app your talking about or am I looking in the wrong place?

Well I managed to get enough umpff together to at least get the MB rdy. Instlled just 6 gigs and my Cooler Master V8 CPU cooler and hooked up the SATA cables I plan to use now hopefully on Thursday I'll have the gumption to pull out the old MB & PSU and try to get the new stuff up and running. Crossing fingers all goes well. Think its gonna be a bit of a bugger tho to later add those othe 3 sticks since the V8 is rather large but where theres a will theres a way hehe

Archived