Corsair Community

Asus Maximus Formula & 4xCM21024-6400 (2xTWIN2X2048-6400)

codecks

Hello,

I'm having some problem with the mentionned ram and mobo.

I did tests all four modules in one single slot with memtest 1.7, memtest 2.0 and currentely scanning the modules with windows memory diagnostic tool.

Latest Bios.

Bios settings are set to default.

After doing the tests with memtest 1.7 and 2.0 the results showed me that 3 of the 4 memory modules had problems.

I decided to do some more tests and put them in another computer (P4 3.2 + Asus P5AD2-Premium) where they all passed the test (memtest 1.7) without any error ?!? So, I really don't know where the problem is now.

A friend of mine bought exactly the same pc, and I allready tested some of my modules in his pc and it seems (except one memory module I still have to test) that I have the same results so I don't think my motherboard has a problem. (His bios has not been updated btw)

I also ran the tests of my friend his memory in his pc (same brand and type as mine) and it appaers that 2 of the 4 modules are not passing the tests.

I'm really don't know what to do, is it possible that from the 4 modules I bought 3 are defective, and from the 4 my friend bought 2 are defective ?

Seems a lot to me, so I'm thinking of some compatibility issue...

I really need some advice for further testing and possibilities to tweak the bios.

Thanks

Dimitri, Belgium

• Corsair Employee

Please make sure that you have the latest Bios version and then load setup/optimized defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 volts and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

And let me know on what test you get errors.

Also set the Command Rate to 2t and set TRC if it's listed to 24.

Ok, tested one module as you said (2.1v)

Results:

test 3 - pass 0 - failing address 000382c9f8 -- 898.6mb good dfdfdfdf - bad dfdfdfdf - err-bits 00000020 - count 1

---------------------------------------

test 3 - pass 0 - failing address 0000000024 -- 0.0mb - good 00000000 - bad ffffffff - err-bits ffffffff - count 2

----------------------------------------

test 3 - pass 0 - failing address 0000000003 -- 0.0mb - good 00000000 - bad ffffffff - err-bits ffffffff - count 3

----------------------------------------

One more thing that bothers me is:

In memtest, the chipset en ram settings report [CAS 5 - 1 - 1 - 63 / Dual Channel], but in bios I used 5 - 5 - 5 - 12 (as specified) ?

With the same memtest but on my old pc (P4 3.2Gb + P5AD2 Premium) CAS report in memtest is ok [CAS 5 - 5 - 5 -12 / Single Channel]

Is this normal ? Also note de Dual channel vs Single channel...

Thank in advance for your comments and suggestions.

RamGuy, I used the ram specified settings 5-5-5-12, disabled legacy usb...

2.1V didn't make any difference

Meanwhile, I found this on the memTest86+ forum:

About timings, yes, there is a bug on P35/X38 with Memtest86+ 2.00 and chipset initialization

http://forum.x86-secret.com/showthread.php?t=7890

It explains the bad timing reported by memTest86+, but I think it is only a reporting problem, ram test should pass anyway....

I'll leave it like that for now. System seems to be stable. No freezes, bleu screens or reboots. The tests did never work on any maximus mobo.

Could it be that the memory testing tools are failing with this particular config (maximus + q6600 + corsair xms 6400) ?

3 of the 4 memory modules always fail to pass the tests with memtest86+.

Did some stresstesting with superpi. But it fails too in 32MB. Vista reports an error of superpi and then ends superpi. I really think this memory is incompatible with the maximus motherboard :(

• Corsair Employee

Have you tried testing the modules one at a time to make sure one is not failing? And did you set the memory frequency at DDR667 with all four installed?

Also with 4 modules you should be running the memory at DDR667 and set the NB/MCH Voltage to +.05 Volts as well.

yep, one at a time. Also tried at 667mhz. I think the ram is incompatible with the maximus. In the asus qvl they recommend the CM2-1024-6400c4, my modules are without the c4. Can this be the problem.

Another thing I noticed is that on the memory modules timings are set as 5-5-5-12 at 1.9v and in cpu-z spd report 5-5-5-18 at 1.8v.

• Corsair Employee
That is correct and what is set in the SPD, the tested settings would need to be manually set. Please check and see if TRC is listed and if so set it to 24 and see if that makes a difference. Also do you have the latest BIOS?

thanks, what bothers me is that they seem to work with my old system. no memtest errors. and on my new system with the asus maximus the 3 failing modules do always fail at the same address. (different address for each module, but each test gives an error on the same address (ex. 270.3mb for module 1, 895 for module 2...)

Failing test is generally test number 3.

What info would you like about cpu and ram ?

What I can tell you now is that the fsb is 266

ddr2 @ 800mhz

ram @ 5-5-5-12

but there are a lot of params, and I allready tweaked and tested a lot of different settings, but always the same.

I set most of the important settings to manual

I'm currently testing my system with memtest v2.01. I think there's something wrong with memtest v2.0. It cannot display the ASUS Commando chipset type (Intel 965) & run very slow in Test #0. I currently testing it with ASUS Commando (Intel E6550 /w 2 GB PC6400), ASUS P5W DH Deluxe (Intel C2D 6600 /w 2 GB PC6400), & ASUS P5K Premium/Wifi-AP (Intel E6550 /w 8 GB PC6400). I set the cpu vcore 1.35v for al the system.

I have found the Maximus to often produce memory test errors with memtest. I have found this on three boards tested. However, the memory when tested on P5K Premium, Commando and 965P-DS3 do not produce errors.

Test with Prime95 Memory test. Test for 8 hours on "Lots of RAM Tested".

Download Prime95 (OS: 9x/Me/NT/2k/XP) ---> Here

Download Prime95 (OS: XP x64/2003 x64) ---> Here

Results?

I have found the Maximus to often produce memory test errors with memtest. I have found this on three boards tested. However, the memory when tested on P5K Premium, Commando and 965P-DS3 do not produce errors.

Test with Prime95 Memory test. Test for 8 hours on "Lots of RAM Tested".

Download Prime95 (OS: 9x/Me/NT/2k/XP) ---> Here

Download Prime95 (OS: XP x64/2003 x64) ---> Here

Results?

Does prime95 also work with vista 64 bit ?

Archived