The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-20-2004, 10:00 AM

POST ID # = 122896
Willi792 Reputation: 10

I also have a P4P800 with a P4 3.0GHz and can't get the fsb higher than 210 (stable).

If I would have known that I would never have bought such expensive rams............

Old 05-20-2004, 10:46 AM

POST ID # = 122899
Carcinigen Reputation: 10
Default Thanks ram guy

Thanks for posting that info I hope it helps someone else make a wise choice.

I am planning on buying a 2.4C for this setup and building a new rig for the 3.2C because I have a gig of twinx1024-3000 that I can o/c to 400 and should run great. That way I have 2 nice systems that run around 3 GHz and maximize all my settings.

I am happy with the pc4000 I just need to adjust my system so it will perform

Ram guy if you have any suggestions for my plans I am all ears!
FX5900XT-VTD 128 /53.03 /DX9.0b
SEAGATE (3) 120 GIGS 2/W RAID 0
MAXTOR 100 GIG
Creative Audigy Platinum Pro
Pacific Digital Mach-8 DVD Burner
Pioneer DVD Rom
450w PSU
XP Pro SP1

Old 05-20-2004, 12:41 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 122909
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

Ricbec
First off if a module will not run on one MB at a given setting but will on another; that is not a module problem. In addition, I have had several reporting that updating to the latest bios solved any problems they were having. If your reseller has a problem they should contact us and we will be happy to help them. But there are many reasons that could have an effect on this type of an O.C. not just the memory. For the record, we have always suggested Canterwood chipset as it has performed better in our tests. I would appreciate it if you would take a different approach. Again, for the 3rd or 4th or 5th time please talk to your reseller and have then replace your modules or submit the RMA directly to us and we will be happy to replace them.

Willi792
Please look up your CPU at www.overclockers.com and that is about right for 3.0 or 3.2 GHz CPU's 210-220 MHz. Sorry!

Carcinigen
Please review some of the forums and maybe do a search for the make and model of MB you are planning on getting. To make sure it will run at what you intend running it at. And or use our post XMS Qualification and Testing as a reference when choosing a new MB and I think you will have a better experience.

Last edited by RAM GUY; 05-26-2004 at 08:48 PM.

Old 05-26-2004, 08:33 PM
Ricbec's PC Specs

POST ID # = 124054
Ricbec Reputation: 10

RAM GUY,

I tried updating to the latest BIOS, but that was no help, I have not yet tested these modules one at a time, I have been to busy.

I feel that you are missing the point I am trying to make.

So what if my system will not reach CAS2, CAS2.5 is hardly any different, and I cannot notice any performance difference in real world use, I am happy with how well this system runs.

My issue simply was really all to do with the marketing and advertising of Corsair memory. To state "Rated to run at 2-3-3-6 on ALL Intel platforms" is far to general a statement when there are a thousand different factors that could prevent something to work asd it is rated to do.

A better statement would be "Rated to run at maximum 2-3-3-6 on all properly configured Intel platforms"........that leaves room for movement, and simply states that you may come accross some Intel systems that it wont do it.

That is all I meant.....I am not trying to talk down Corsair, or you RAMGUY.

I will let you know how I go once I finally tested this memory one stick at a time!.

One last question though, Ive been meaning to ask this for ages!, I noticed in the "Qualified Vendors List" for my Mobo, it says that the XMS3200C2 cannot run in dual channel mode with all four slots occupied, is this still the case?, this is one thing I definately overlooked!, just as well I got a gigs worth!

Ohh, one more question, so that means the last one wasnt really the last one!

Can you tell me anything about "Dual Channel, Linear mode" and "Dual Channel, Dynamic Mode", I have had a few discussions about this, and no one seems to be able to find any real useful information about it!.......simply put, from what we have been able to decipher, the 865/875 chipsets are supposed to run in Dual Channel Dynamic Mode, yet EVERYBODYS rigs are running Dual Channel Linear mode.....do you have any insight into this matter?....Intel wont help of course!

Old 05-26-2004, 08:56 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 124059

All I can tell you is our modules are tested on a MB at the rated speed, if they will not run at the rated speed because of a module problem we will be happy to replace them... However, we or I cannot guarantee that every MB will be able to run at the settings we test or use. That is just un-realistic to expect that. And one of the reasons we have supplied you with the make and model of MB we use as well as the bios settings. Please see XMS Qualification and Testing for the complete list. I personally along with many other users and professionals have consistently been able to run our modules above spec, I am sorry that you are having trouble, but short of offering to replace your modules I am not sure I can do anything else to help you. I will be happy to forward your comments to our marketing and will but I do not know what will come of it. So again, I will be happy to help you get your modules replaced either directly or by your reseller, just please let me know who they are and or send me an email and I will do what ever I can. But that will NOT fix a problem with your MB or CPU! Not that there is one!

Last edited by RAM GUY; 06-04-2004 at 07:27 PM.

Old 05-27-2004, 07:06 PM
Ricbec's PC Specs

POST ID # = 124257

I thankyou RAM GUY for being so prepared to replace these modules, it really shows that your customer support, is really second to none.

Please dont get me wrong, I love these modules, they do perform very well, even if it is a half clock slower than it could be.

I still have not tested these modules one at a time, but I'm thinking that that may be a fruitless excersise as I know these modules will do 2-3-3-6, but only with the rest of the system overclocked by at least 10%, and in doing so "Partially" disables the Memory acceleration mode (PAT), so it becomes 6 of 1, or half a dozon of the other, they end up cancelling out each other, so I may as well just stick with 2.5-3-3-6-4 with PAT fully enabled, it is as solid as a rock, which is one reason this mobo wont get replaced even if the memory isssues turn out to be mobo related, as it is not too easy now to get a 865PE chipset to run completely stable with PAT enabled.

This is pretty much all I have to say on this matter until I properly test these modules, all I will say in closing is that it would be nice to see the Corsairmicro website be changed to properly reflect what the product "is capable of", by this I mean to simply reflect that yes, some people may not get exactly what the product can do, due to many factors, that will remove any potential confusion.

You didnt answer any of my questions from my last post, was this an oversight, or do you prefer to handle one matter at a time!

Thankyou for your time RAMGUY, I still think, Corsair rocks!!

Old 05-31-2004, 11:59 PM
Ricbec's PC Specs

POST ID # = 124765
Default Update

Okay RAM GUY, here is the current situation.

I have finally tested these modules one at a time, It became more urgent after reading a post on how someone had a P4C800 with the same memory as me, with very much the same problems.

I pulled one stick out of slot 3, and ran memtest (latest version 1.15) on the stick I left on slot 1, I had USB Legacy support disabled, voltage to 2.75V and PAT disabled, everything else stock.

I set timings of 2-3-3-6, and ram memtest for 7 runs without a hitch, then, out of curiousity, I ran the test again on the same stick, this time with PAT enabled, I let it run for 4 full passes, again, without a hitch.

I then swapped sticks over in slot 1, and ram memtest again, disabling PAT beforehand, errors started at the end of test 5, continued into test 6, and didnt seem to want to go any further, and remember PAT was diabled.

I then put both sticks back in, returning the system to dual channel mode, ran memtest again, to find the errors started this time in test 4.

I found this interesting because prior to this round of testing, I had tried memtest (the last version) with the same confiuration, but I was getting errors within the first 10 seconds of it running, and this time round, i got through to the 4th test before anything showed up!.

What do you make of this?, what do yo think I should try now?

Old 06-02-2004, 07:54 PM
Ricbec's PC Specs

POST ID # = 125112

Your very quite RAM GUY

I have been running this system with only the one stick of memory installed, obviosly the one that didnt return errors in memtest, latency settings are 2-3-3-5-4, with Memory Acceleration Mode enabled, and it is very stable.

Right now it is running, like I said, 2-3-3-5-4, I havent really been able to tell if having 2-3-3-5, is any better than 2-3-3-6, what do you think on this?

Anyway, I have contacted my Corsair reseller regarding the memory, I am still awaiting a reply, I am a little concerned however because I just noticed last night that my receipt for the memory, has a different item number to what I actually ordered, according to the reciept, I have TwinX1024 3200----but I actually have the TwinX1024 3200C2, which on their site is worth $80 more than what I paid for it!, I am just a little worried that they may try to say that they sent me the wrong memory, and try to replace these modules witht the ones shown on my receipt-------scary!, as I had never dealt with this company prior to buying this memory and Mobo from them-----ive got no idea how they are going to want to handle this matter!

I may need to RMA them directly to you, which I have no idea how to do about, I have never sent memory internationally, in fact, I have never sent anything internationally!

I'll keep you posted on what is happening!

Old 06-02-2004, 08:05 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 125113

Sorry for the delay, I would double check the label on the modules and make sure you have the C2 modules. In addition, memory pricing is not very stable and the price may have gone up since you purchased these. In addition, I have no problem replacing them directly if needed.

Old 06-02-2004, 08:39 PM
Ricbec's PC Specs

POST ID # = 125132

I definately have the C2 version.

I will let you know how I go with my reseller, I really hope they will come to the party, but simply, if they dont, well I wont be buying the parts for the next rig I build in a few weeks from them!, but I should be OK.
Just so you know, my modules came From Gamedude Computers www.gamedude.com.au

Fingers crossed!

Old 06-03-2004, 07:21 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 125323

Mine too! Please let me know how you make out with them or if there is anything I can do to help!

Old 06-03-2004, 07:42 PM
Ricbec's PC Specs

POST ID # = 125329

Still havnt heard anything!, I may have to give them a call!.

Hmm, Im wondering if I have to send these direct to you RAM GUY, would I be stung with an Import Tax, heard of that happening to a person who bought a mobile phone from the USA, he got stung with Import Tax, I shouldnt do, as Im wouldnt actually be buying anything.....hmm. may have to check that out!.......do you know anything about this?........

Old 06-04-2004, 05:20 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 125538

I really do not normally take care of that type of issue. However, they should not charge any type of tax or fee other than sometimes the freight forwarder sometimes charges the cost of over and above shipping to the receiver depending on the specific countries import laws.

If you can send me an email with the persons contact phone# and email address I will be happy to see what I can do!

Old 06-04-2004, 07:22 PM
Ricbec's PC Specs

POST ID # = 125581

Well I finaly spoke to my reseller yesterday, wouldnt reply to my e-mails, so I cought him on the phone, he said to send in the memory, they will test it, and if they find it faulty, they said they would send it to their distributor for REPAIR?, didnt think that could be done without sending it all the way back to USA, I wouldve thought it wouldve been replaced on the spot!.

I hope they will be testing it in the same way that you ask us to tset memory!, cause they said if it doesnt appear faulty to them, they will have a $25 charge.......hmm, they better test it properly!

Damn, they want me to send both sticks in at the same time...that'll leave me without a rig for a couple of weeks!!!

I enquired about how the memory listed on my invoice didnt match what was written on the modules, he said that since I bought this memory that Corsair have changed there coding or something?, and that I did in fact recieve the right memory.

This leaves me confused, as at the time of researching memory, I couldne decide whether to go C2 or LL, I decided to go C2, as there was a &60 price difference between the 2 - now there is only $10 difference.....ohh well, as long as there is no problems with them!

Makes me wonder though if I should send them straight to you, at least then I'll know that ther modules will be tested properly!

i'll have to think about it!........im very cost aware

Old 06-04-2004, 07:36 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 125583

Well considering what they told you I would have to suggest that you consider sending them to us. For a few reasons!
1. First all RMA's are replaced with new modules! No exceptions!
2. If you get charged 25.00 and get the same modules back you may be a little upset. I know I would!
3. I think If you check it's not going to cost that much to send them to us. And we will pay the shipping back to you. So you only need to pay it one way!