The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Corsair Link

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.91 average. Display Modes
Old 08-29-2014, 02:49 PM

POST ID # = 724971
Skcorpion86 Reputation: 10
Default Does any LED's work with corsair link?

Does any RGB LEDs work with corsair link? I know I can buy the corsair link lighting kit and get 3 strips of leds, but what if I want more than 3 strips, could I just buy some more strips from somewhere else?

And do I have to have the Corsair commander mini to get LED's to work with corsair link in sync with my 100i LED?

Thanks for the help....

Old 08-29-2014, 03:08 PM
Corsair Employee
Fauxbeard's PC Specs

POST ID # = 724973
Fauxbeard Reputation: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skcorpion86 View Post
Does any RGB LEDs work with corsair link?
I can only officially state that our Lighting node or Commander Mini will only work with our RGB LED strips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skcorpion86 View Post
And do I have to have the Corsair commander mini to get LED's to work with corsair link in sync with my 100i LED?
No, the H100i LED can be controlled separately through the Link software WITHOUT the Commander Mini.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:17 PM

POST ID # = 724976
Skcorpion86 Reputation: 10

[QUOTE=Corsair Bunny Foo Foo #5;724973]I can only officially state that our Lighting node or Commander Mini will only work with our RGB LED strips.

Thanks for the answer....

Is there any way to possibly get more than 3 strips? buy them separate or something?

Old 09-11-2014, 02:24 PM
nh_790's PC Specs

POST ID # = 727065
nh_790 Reputation: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair Bunny Foo Foo #5 View Post
I can only officially state that our Lighting node or Commander Mini will only work with our RGB LED strips.

"Oficially" huh...thats a good way of putting that without getting in trouble with the bosses.... :)

I can officially state that any RGB LED strips work fine.

I have 18 LED's across the top and bottom of my 540 and 22 down the side running of a Commander mini and there are no problems at all.

You have to make your own cables since the corsair ones aren't standard, but its super easy to do.

[IMG][/IMG]

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:08 PM
BipolarBear's PC Specs

POST ID # = 727354
BipolarBear Reputation: 18

Interesting. I've been eyeing off some cheap rgb led strips on ebay, these look like they come with a 4 pin connection, ready to be plugged into a led controller. Can you tell me what I need to do to connect these to the led input on the commander mini? Do I need to purchase a compatible connector, then cut and solder?

Old 09-12-2014, 02:56 PM
nh_790's PC Specs

POST ID # = 727395

Quote:
Originally Posted by BipolarBear View Post
Interesting. I've been eyeing off some cheap rgb led strips on ebay, these look like they come with a 4 pin connection, ready to be plugged into a led controller. Can you tell me what I need to do to connect these to the led input on the commander mini? Do I need to purchase a compatible connector, then cut and solder?
Sure.

Honestly I didnt even solder. these things run on such low power, I think they just need to not touch other wires or metal...

I just twisted the wires together and wrapped with electrical tape. I'm sure someone will give me crap about that, but seems to work fine.

Anyways, the setup:

The connector used on the mini and lighting node is called an I2C or IIC connector. These days I think they are used for Arduino devices mostly. It also happens to be the exact same connector as was used on the old audio cables you used to have to use to on IDE Optical drives before XP.

I happened to have a couple of these old audio cables still so that's what I used.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The cables I had had 1 thicker wire and two thinner ones, i took 2 cables apart so i could use the slightly thicker wire (one at each end x2 cables)

So i ended up with 4 of these:

[IMG][/IMG]

So, I remove the red and white wires, and put in the other 3 black wires, and connect some extra red, green, blue, and black wires that I had from an old motherboard front panel connector.

The result looks like this:
[IMG][/IMG]

Make sure you get the order right, Corsair is not using the standard order.

Corsair:

12v
B
R
G

Standard:

12v
G
R
B

Then i got a 5 meter spool of 5050 RGB LED lights from ebay, probably similar to what you are looking at, as well as a 10 pack of solderless connectors. Total cost about 25 bucks.

[IMG][/IMG]

Around the front of the case you need to connect the red, green, blue and black wires to one of the solderless connectors and connect the solderless connector to the led strip. I just cut one of the connectors in half.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Then around your case however you want, cutting custom lengths and using the solderless connectors where needed, corners etc.

[IMG][/IMG]

I need to stick some double sided tape on the solderless connectors so that they dont peel away but the end result works pretty well. Hopefully this helps.

[IMG][/IMG]

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:46 PM
BipolarBear's PC Specs

POST ID # = 727432

That's a great write-up, thanks very much. I think I also have some of those old CD audio cables around somewhere. I might have a crack at this next week.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:24 PM
Corsair Employee
Fauxbeard's PC Specs

POST ID # = 727461
Fauxbeard Reputation: 19

nh_790

Old 09-13-2014, 11:01 AM
nh_790's PC Specs

POST ID # = 727605

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protocol48 View Post
Is that Spool of LED strip made by "HitLights"? (as I have a couple of their indoor spools, one I used in my kitchen as under-cabinet lighting)
No.

The one i used was "Supernight LED"

I think any standard 12v LED should work tho.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:37 AM
nh_790's PC Specs

POST ID # = 727613

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protocol48 View Post
Thanks, I chat with a Corsair tech at least once a month and in July their light strips had a ETA of August end. I chatted last week and now there is no ETA for the light strips! So thanks for the help,; Since we are going to light our cases, too bad Corsair missed the boat and is making zero dollars on case lighting strips.

I just looked up the companies Supernight in Oregon and Hitlights in Louisiana and they are making almost exactly the same products, same strips, same remotes. Amazon is selling both products. Somebody in Asia must be supplying to both these companies! The patent must have expired.
Even if the corsair ones were available I think doing it yourself is a better solution. 3 strips with 3 lights each would not have worked for me, at any price. Even if the corsair ones were available I would have still gone with the approach I did. Being able to cut custom lengths is critical IMO.

If you look at the LED's you have and look at the corsair ones ill bet you will see they are identical, with the exception of the reversed G and B, and the connector. These are all probably made in the same factory in china, and re-branded.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:08 PM
BipolarBear's PC Specs

POST ID # = 728079

woohoo it works! I can't get the leds to show up well on a pic though... this is just a 3 led offcut i was using for testing.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:26 PM
Jerre03's PC Specs

POST ID # = 742683
Jerre03 Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauxbeard View Post
No, the H100i LED can be controlled separately through the Link software WITHOUT the Commander Mini.
I just recieved the Corsair Link RGB LED Lighting Kit and i thought that it will work with my H100i, apparently it doesn't, do you really need a node or commander to make te leds work?

Old 11-19-2014, 10:01 PM
Specter's PC Specs

POST ID # = 742688
Specter Reputation: 22

Correct. The Corsair Link RGB LED Lighting Kit is useless without a Lighting Node or a Corsair Commander Mini.

the Corsair Link RGB LED Lighting Kit will not connect directly to a H100i or a H80i.

Old 06-06-2015, 09:25 PM

POST ID # = 783400
HarBear Reputation: 10
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by nh_790 View Post
No.

The one i used was "Supernight LED"

I think any standard 12v LED should work tho.
Very impressive mod!!!

I want to do something reverse here. So I am planning on buying two the Airflow Platinum Fans which has LED L2C connectors. I want to chain it to the end of my Supernight LED strip and control it with a remote. Could I do it with this Cruis Pixhawk I2C splitter?

Old 06-12-2015, 06:36 PM
nh_790's PC Specs

POST ID # = 784557

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarBear View Post
Very impressive mod!!!

I want to do something reverse here. So I am planning on buying two the Airflow Platinum Fans which has LED L2C connectors. I want to chain it to the end of my Supernight LED strip and control it with a remote. Could I do it with this Cruis Pixhawk I2C splitter?
Sorry for the late reply, I don't check the forum very often.

And thanks for the compliment about the case, I'm very happy with it. Since I wrote this up I have redone the wiring in the corners so it looks proper (no more multicolored wires just hanging about)

As far as your question, I think electrically what you want to do would be fine, there is nothing to LED's, they need 12v power and ground...you can even run them on molex or sata power if you don't wanna change colors or dim etc.

You just have to get the connection from the end of your LED strip into the LED wire on the dominator airflow.

At some point you will have to make your own cable since the channels on corsair stuff are not in the standard order (I mentioned this in my post)

I would try and find a cable with a connector that you don't mind cutting, since you probably don't want to cut the cable on the dominator airflow. What you are looking for is the EXACT connector you would find on an old IDE optical drive. the connectors on what you linked don't look the same as that (but i could be mistaken)

Tags
100i, comander, corsair, led, link