Corsair Community

Zero room for OC Dominator Plat RGB RAM

brighttail

So I went ahead and bought the CMT32GX4M4C3200C16 version of 4x8gb sticks that run at Timings of 16-18-16-36.

I really do like the look of this RAM and the RGB lighting is second to none. I have owned Corsiar Dominator Platinum RAM for the last 10 or so years and have ALWAYS been able to overclock a kit. The amount of Overclock has always varied a bit, sometimes I could go from 3000MHz to 3200 or even 3600MHz. Other times I couldn't up the frequency but could tighten the timings a bit.

One of the things I love about the Dominator Platinum series is you can put some extra voltage through them and they remain pretty damn stable.

Unfortunately with this kit, I have quite literally have not been able to move any numbers past the default XMP settings, even when I go on manual. Nothing will POST or boot.

I get that Corsair has been more diligent when it comes to binning the RAM kits, ensuring that you get at least what you paid for but I find it disappointing that this is the first set of this absolute PREMIUM RAM and I can't overclock it at all.

So I'm wondering if anyone has had the opportunity to try? I saw that some of the higher frequency kits of 4000 or the 3200 version with CL14 were able to be OC'd so I'm just wondering if I got really unlucky or has Corsair truly locked down the cheaper end of these RGB kits?

Thanks,

3200 seems to be an unlikely cliff for a X299 board, but you never know. My now 'ancient' 4x4 Dominator 3200C15 for X99 clocked right up to 4000 on my Z370 Code. The 4x8GB Dominator RGB 3600C16 kit that replaced it will run 4000+, but there were some small changes for me. My Dom RGB kit does not like any of the Asus Tweak 1/2 levels. That is an instant fail every time. However, with tertiary a bit relaxed, the speed just keeps going up. The returns up there are small to non-existent, but it boots and runs.

As always, watch your SA and IO voltage on Asus boards. Nobody needs 1.40v for those. Try 3466 with the same primary timings as XMP and 1.39v. Leave secondary and tertiary timings on auto. If you can that to work, then there is a stepping stone toward 3733 or something else.

3200 seems to be an unlikely cliff for a X299 board, but you never know. My now 'ancient' 4x4 Dominator 3200C15 for X99 clocked right up to 4000 on my Z370 Code. The 4x8GB Dominator RGB 3600C16 kit that replaced it will run 4000+, but there were some small changes for me. My Dom RGB kit does not like any of the Asus Tweak 1/2 levels. That is an instant fail every time. However, with tertiary a bit relaxed, the speed just keeps going up. The returns up there are small to non-existent, but it boots and runs.

As always, watch your SA and IO voltage on Asus boards. Nobody needs 1.40v for those. Try 3466 with the same primary timings as XMP and 1.39v. Leave secondary and tertiary timings on auto. If you can that to work, then there is a stepping stone toward 3733 or something else.

I have another kit of Dominator Platinum that was 3200 and got it to run at 3600 quite easily with only 1.38v. I have tried just the CAS and tried to relax that to 18 and 19 just to see if I could get up to 3466.

Sadly on my old x99 R5E board, there was a setting in the DRAM that helped. In Mode 1 it would help OC and in mode 2 it would help compatibility but this newer board doesn't have that setting. :(

So I took some of your suggestions and started with 1.39v and was actually able to get a stable 3600 from 3200 by changing the timing from

16-18-18-36 to 18-21-21-43 Not sure about the right calculation there but memtest did all the modules full 105% with no errors. A thought occurred to me are there other settings like in the VCCIO or such I need to be giving a boost to help. FYI I did have the initial boot boot with 1.42v and the landing voltage was 1.39.

I haven't checked to see if moving this all to 3600 with the relaxed timings is doing better or worse than the 3200 at XMP timings yet. There are trade offs!

Suggestions?