Corsair Community

iCUE broke and caused a temperature issue

Shado the Wolf

There needs to be an option to use corsair link to control the fan curve(s) exclusively,

iCUE broke overnight leaving my fans at ~600 rpm on an aggressively overclocked CPU. This is a full custom loop that's never had a cooling issue until trying to use iCUE instead of Link4.

While i like the degree of control i get using iCUE it isnt worth damaging my cpu just for the extra lighting controls. for the time being im back to CUE2 and Link4.

Do you have logs? I think we need to understand what happened here so that it can be fixed. Without logs or more details, it's tough to do.

1) Are the fans controlled by a Commander Pro?

If yes:

1a) What kind of fans are these?

1b) What is the control variable?

2) You mentioned that this happened "overnight". Did the system sleep? Did you log out? Was iCue running? Or did it crash somewhere in there?

i don't have logs but did check the event viewer, and it shows errors with link and icue

Yes they're controlled by a commander pro,

it is 6 120LLs, 5 of which are meant to be on the performance curve,

and yes overnight, i run a passive mining program which without proper cooling can cause my cpu to overheat since they are on the same loop

but this morning after recovering from the crash i checked the fan curve settings all were set to quiet, and even after being set back to performance, one of the fans would not get up to the set speed while being set on the exact same curve and on the cpu package temp.

after switching back to CUE2 and link4 all the fans were fully controllable and are running on the correct curve.

I'll stick with this for a few more months then try icue again to see if anythings improved

After a restart, the profile will be set to the first in the list. Was the profile with the desired curve the first on the list?

For the Commander Pro - and this is also true for Link - using values other than the CoPro's thermistors will require software to be running for the curve to be properly applied. If you use the thermistors, then the CoPro can actually handle the fan curves without any software running at all - once it's set. For your scenario, I would absolutely recommend that you do this.

There's a couple of ways that you could accomplish this. The best is likely to have a temperature reading directly from the loop - there are various fittings that provide a temperature sensor. The CoPro will take a standard 10K sensor so these should work just fine. The other way is to put one of the thermistors in the exhaust flow from the radiator. This make take a little experimentation but what I've seen (on my H115i Pro) is that the exhaust temperature is ~0.5C higher than the radiator temperature. This way the fans spin up as the heat load that they are actually dissipating increases and spin down as that same heat load decreases. CPU temperature isn't a good control variable in these cases as it's very indirect and, in your case, extremely indirect (GPUs cause higher heat load than the CPU).

I'll look into getting a fitting with a temp sensor,

but that only addresses the major part of my issue, the minor part was that one of my fans wouldnt get up to speed when on the same curve and sensor as the other 4, this isnt good as the fan that wasnt spinning up is on my larger radiator. i'll give it another shot after i get that new fitting.

Ah ha! Its not just me then!

I found while gaming that my GPU temps rocketed (I have a LL120 attached to the GPUs rad which is connected to the commander pro) while gaming. I quickly discovered that all my profiles had been set back to "Quiet" too

So I recreated all my profiles, and resumed gaming, only to find my GPU temps were still high! All my fans are connected to my commander pro, and associated to a temperature, for example, my GPU fan and a second which feeds air to that corner or the case read their temperature from the GPU directly. It appeared as it Cue was ignoring this input and just sits at 600rpm. This has happened on two separate fans now, and both read the same temp source but have different profiles.

Restarting the Corsair Service in services cured it on one fan, but not the second time when it happened to the second fan.

Let me know what logs I can provide if it'll assist in resolving the issue. :)

Thanks

This seems to be an issue on the new release. See also here.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=177219

The two solutions I have found so far are to use the curve presets in upper right corner of the graph or take your graph points and make them all landmark, even numbers (30C=700, 35C=900 rpm, etc).

There have a been a few reportings of the "reset to quiet" bug, but it not consistent. I would also suggest running a temp probe to the exhaust side of the GPU radiator (or any others) and using this as the control source. GPU temp will be more or less the same, but requires Link to be active. Also, if this is a mining rig where you are not sitting there with it, the early release version of the software might not be ideal or beneficial to you. You just need stuff to work and this is why people often use mechanical or fixed controls for that type of set-up.

Archived