Corsair Community

Cooling setup for Phanteks Entho M

MDH994

Hey guys I am getting the Phanteks Entho M Acrylic case soon.

just wondering if this would be the best way to setup the system for cooling.

cooling setup:

Nzxt Kraken x61 280mm

2x Corsair Af120 Quite up top

4x Corsair ML140 For Radiator Push/pull

1x Corsair Af140 Quite for rear

should I do exhaust or intake for rear.

Specs Are:

Gigabyte 990fx Gaming

AMD Fx8350 Oc @ 4.6ghz

16gb 2133mhz ddr3

Evga gtx 1080 Ftw

2tb Black, 850 evo 256gb and 950 Pro m.2 256gb

blah.png.18bd9181b70dc998b9fd8cb82abce6e1.png

My preference is to dump waste heat directly out of the case rather than into it. To that end, I like the radiator in the top as exhaust unless something makes that difficult or impossible. It leaves you with the intended front to back air flow, an unrestricted front intake, and it would also save you a set ML140 fans. You certainly don't need push-pull in the top.

With the radiator in front, you substantially restrict the amount of air you can bring into the case. In combination with the warmer exhaust coming out of the radiator, you are likely to run warmer case temperatures than the above set-up. If you have another reason to set the case up this way, like sliding in under a desk with no top clearance, then these are compromises you can probably live with. This is likely why you mentioned using the rear 140mm as intake. However, it does not serve its intended function if the air comes in one place and exits 2 inches away. It won't move the warmer air out of the case. I would still run the rear 140mm as exhaust in this set-up to keep the warm air from the front moving up and out. Since it takes all of 60 seconds to flip that fan around, this is certainly something you can experiment with and see.

If you have another reason to set the case up this way, like sliding in under a desk with no top clearance, then these are compromises you can probably live with. This is likely why you mentioned using the rear 140mm as intake. However, it does not serve its intended function if the air comes in one place and exits 2 inches away. It won't move the warmer air out of the case. I would still run the rear 140mm as exhaust in this set-up to keep the warm air from the front moving up and out. Since it takes all of 60 seconds to flip that fan around, this is certainly something you can experiment with and see.

Yea you raise some really good points.. the main reason is I just don't like the look of top mount radiators especially with the nzxt kraken because the pipes are so long they just look untidy from what I have seen in photo's. This is my current setup with the nzxt s340 case and for a 4.6ghz overclocked fx 8350 my temps are awesome (idle : 20-25c, Load 40-50c) so I still want the push pull because I think it looks heaps better.

Top fan is exhaust and rear is intake.

On second thought after looking at some photo's I think I could get used to top mount..

This corsair 450D image is the way I would do it if I did a top mount..

20160811_204302.thumb.jpg.13950a3509a9543040edb21ad10ef739.jpg

1602219545_CorsairAirflow.png.84b086aae5f141a0c77a6967ea1037b8.png

I just had a new PC built using the Enthoo Pro M case and I had my radiator mounted to the top. It looks amazing and allows the 2 front fans I have to push sufficient air through the case. I have the stock Phantek fan that comes with the case as an exhaust and I cant complain about it, its not noisy and does its job.

I'll put up a picture or 2 for you when I get home so you can see what my setup looks like, it might help you decide.

I just had a new PC built using the Enthoo Pro M case and I had my radiator mounted to the top. It looks amazing and allows the 2 front fans I have to push sufficient air through the case. I have the stock Phantek fan that comes with the case as an exhaust and I cant complain about it, its not noisy and does its job.

I'll put up a picture or 2 for you when I get home so you can see what my setup looks like, it might help you decide.

sounds ideal.. I have decided I can't be bothered waiting for weeks for it to come back into stock. so I have decided to go for the corsair 400c case. It looks a bit nicer in my opinion and my brother needs a new case for his pc.

OK, but that does change the plot a little. On the 400C, 280mm radiators are front mount only, so the X61 must go there. However, the difference in this design is the no drive bay, short distance from that front radiator to the top exhaust. You don't have to pull all that heat through the center of the case to get rid of it. You don't need push-pull on any 280mm radiator from a cooling perspective, but I am more open to doing when the radiator is the only source of intake. However, most of the 1080's are long and thin. You may wish to double check if push-pull is possible with that GPU and 80mm of fan/rad/fan in front of the 400C/Q. Either way, I would certainly give it go with one set of MLPro LED before doubling up. 3 AF140 style fans can certainly manage the exhaust duties and you should not need to blast those to do the job.

OK, but that does change the plot a little. On the 400C, 280mm radiators are front mount only, so the X61 must go there. However, the difference in this design is the no drive bay, short distance from that front radiator to the top exhaust. You don't have to pull all that heat through the center of the case to get rid of it. You don't need push-pull on any 280mm radiator from a cooling perspective, but I am more open to doing when the radiator is the only source of intake. However, most of the 1080's are long and thin. You may wish to double check if push-pull is possible with that GPU and 80mm of fan/rad/fan in front of the 400C/Q. Either way, I would certainly give it go with one set of MLPro LED before doubling up. 3 AF140 style fans can certainly manage the exhaust duties and you should not need to blast those to do the job.

yea cheers for the reply that clears up a bit was just unsure if rear should be intake or exhaust.

The clearance I don't think will be an issue seeing as the pc can fit up to 370mm gfx cards and the evga 1080 (Length: 10.5in - 266.7mm)

The 400c is pretty much just like the s340 just looks a bit more premium quality and I want to move away from the black/red colour scheme. I love the way my s340 looks but its time for a change more of a black/white colour scheme with rgb watercooler and rgb gfx card. To match my k70 rgb rapid fire and m65 rgb :D

also the fans I am using on the rad aren't the pro ones they are these ones

http://www.pccasegear.com/products/36037?gclid=CI_v2Kz9u84CFYWXvAodpEcBjw&gclsrc=aw.ds

The standard ML140 won't be any different in performance than the LED models. I don't think you need a lot of fan speed with this set-up. However, the one limitation would be something that needs direct cooling, like an M.2 drive. Those little guys usually need some direct air. Mine idles a good 15C+ over the case temperature, even with diffuse airflow style 120mm fans 4 inches away. My case temps are quite low and never get past 30C even on the hottest days, so I can get by, however your normal low case temp will probably be about 30C in a 22C room and go up from there. You might want to stick with standard SSD's and frankly, you aren't missing out on much.

The standard ML140 won't be any different in performance than the LED models. I don't think you need a lot of fan speed with this set-up. However, the one limitation would be something that needs direct cooling, like an M.2 drive. Those little guys usually need some direct air. Mine idles a good 15C+ over the case temperature, even with diffuse airflow style 120mm fans 4 inches away. My case temps are quite low and never get past 30C even on the hottest days, so I can get by, however your normal low case temp will probably be about 30C in a 22C room and go up from there. You might want to stick with standard SSD's and frankly, you aren't missing out on much.

Yea true that. I have already have the 4 ml fans, so I might aswell use them :P

also my m.2 for some reason gigabyte decided to have the mount directly under the graphics card.. so if I do a push pull setup on the front I will get plenty of airflow from the front and the exhausts should bring the air straight over all the components keeping it all nice and cool. usually the room is kept at about 22c.

My m.2 slot is there as well. However, the funny thing is manually turning on my "zero spin" GPU fans to a low level while on the desktop will shed 6-7C off the m.2 drive in a minute or two, which suggests it doesn't need a strong breeze, just something moving the air around it.

The main thing I need to cool and the thing that gets a bit hot is the northbridgr of my motherboard. My cpu voltages arnt that high less the 1.48 volt and for some treason this just gets so hot. That is the main reason I thought an intake in the rear would be alright. I have it in my current setup and it seems to cool it down much more then the rear being an exhaust

Archived