Corsair Community

ram heatsinks for video cards??

BiOGrr8xTc

Actually if the video card did not have any type of heatsink on the memory with the stock cooling on the card, you would not have to put them on when using a water block to cool the GPU. As long as you don't want to overclock the memory it shouldn't run any hotter than when the video card was air cooled. It wouldn't be a bad idea to put heatsinks on the memory anyway since this would help keep the memory cooler than without them. I'm running a ATI 9800 Pro with a Koolance CPU-180-L06 water block on it. The Koolace block comes with ram heatsinks in the kit. I'm also running a 120 mm fan at the end of the video card to get airflow over the ram heatsinks. I am able to clock the core to 450 MHz and mem to 390 MHz rock stable. Stock for this card it 380 core and 340 mem. Although my 9800 Pro is a later made one which has a R360 core and the same memory that the 9800 XT has so essentially that design ran at 412 core 365 mem stock. Still, not a bad overclock for only $185.00 US plus tax! :laughing:

BiO|Grr8xTc, I was not sure if I was going to cool the BGA chips on my 9700 until I felt how hot they were. I bought some of the Tweakmonster BGA Ramsinks from Frozencpu and also put a fan on the end of the car for better circulation. Here is a pic for you. I think it's better to cooller that hotter. [URL=http://img1.exs.cx/img1/4825/DCP_2608.jpg]BGA Ramsinks on 9700 card[/URL]. Marc

Wired, The fans are from the MAX3 N/B heatsink and the stock heatsink from the 9700 card. I actually used the same plugs on the mobo and card for power. I used a hot glue gun for the application. It worked pretty well and can be removed if necessary. I know the bigger fan help cool the BGA ramsinks and thought the smaller fan one to the left would look good. btw, I was not that impressed with the lapping job on the Tweakmonsters. I took some time and did it myself with some tempered glass and some fine sand paper. I would read up on installing these to the memory chips as you can ruin the card if any of the adhesive gets pushed out and makes contact with the chips connectors. Be carefull, don't use too much adhesive and TAKE YOUR TIME. Marc

[quote name='H2COOL'] ... I would read up on installing these to the memory chips as you can ruin the card if any of the adhesive gets pushed out and makes contact with the chips connectors. Be carefull, don't use too much adhesive and TAKE YOUR TIME. Marc[/QUOTE] Marc, The HC comes with the NON-conduction thermal paste. It is the Shin-Etsu MicroSI G-765. So spreading this onto chips wouldn't be a problem. We have smeared this stuff purposely over the processors to evaluate the claim. The stuff holds up well. Both AMD and Intel call this out in the OEM specs as the thermal paste to use. As for other thermal pastes, it is unknown their conductivity. Glad that you know about this little problem and are able to alert others too. Using conductive thermal paste can RUIN a MOBO, Video card or any other PCB. :biggrin: Stev

[quote name='H2COOL']Bio-Hazard, I was looking at some pics of your system but could not find the fan on the vid card. Do you have other pics that we can see. Marc[/QUOTE] My fan is mounted on the side panel of the case over the video card, I'll have to take a pic to show you all as most of my pics are of the inside of the case with the side panel off............... :eek:

[quote name='Bio-Hazard']My fan is mounted on the side panel of the case over the video card, I'll have to take a pic to show you all as most of my pics are of the inside of the case with the side panel off............... :eek:[/QUOTE] Bio-Hazard, A smart method indeed. I like it! :biggrin: Stev

Archived