Corsair Community

Make sure your system is stable before changing pump speed.

karajan

A little story and a lesson i learned in hard way. This happened to me long time ago. But i thought i just share it :)

While i was stress testing to see if my OC was stable, i decided to change the pump speed to see how it affects CPU temps.

Just when i applied new speed, system froze... unstable OC, BSOD.

It didn't take too long until i noticed my CPU was running at 800Mhz, super slow. Could not boot into windows. even in bios it was struggling to run. Temp was at 100C!

Basically pump speed was set to 0... what a mess!

So i shutdown my PC, plugged out all power cables, waited like 10 minutes for pump to cool down. (It was really warm!)

Then i tried to get into windows, I only had a few minutes before the CPU reached 100C again and shutdown itself.

So again after 10 minutes i reduced Vcore voltage as low as it made sense! Finally i could get into windows and set pump speed back to Quiet mode. And there i revived my cooler :3

Not to be paranoid or anything, just make sure your system is stable before changing the pump speed. Because it can be a PITA if you get unlucky...

That cooler is still running good though ;)

----

My suggestion to Corsair is to include hard reset button on their coolers because that would be really handy for cases like this.

Edited by karajan