Corsair Community

Flash Voyager Slider 128GB and System Image

hawkeyelar

Before posting, I contacted tech support but only got the following replies:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Subject Flash Voyager Slider 128 GB

Description Is there any way to change the USB to appear as a SSD or at least NOT as a removable drive to Windows in order to do a system image backup?

Ticket Comments

Comment

Created By: Jamey TS (8/22/2015 5:36 PM)

Hello Hawkeyelar,

I would try using the same method in order to make the drive bootable. There are also third party software tools available that may be able to do this process for you.

Created By: Hawkeyelar (8/21/2015 11:26 AM)

I tried the Microsoft page instructions but sit get 'not a valid drive location' when trying to save system image to the Corsair USB 128MB (see attached jpg). I formatted it as NTFS and even tried to do a fat32 format (but got 'drive size too big with this fat32 attempt). Any other suggestions?

Created By: Technical Support Rep (8/21/2015 8:23 AM)

Please visit the URL below for more information:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/jj200124.aspx

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

When I use various 'make USB bootable' options, I still can't get enough space to do a ~60GB Windows 10 system image backup (Windows 7 recovery option) as I get an error about the USB not being a valid storage option (See attached jpg). I have tried the HP bootdisk option, trying to change the info in the USB from 'removable' to 'fixed' disk without success.

Any suggestions on how to make the 128GB USB usable to Windows system image backup would be greatly appreciated.

Corsair.thumb.jpg.109908959f09f3dbb6da6142adb51c05.jpg

Wish it were that easy. Yes, I formatted the Corsair 128GB flash drive with NTFS. The problem is that when using the Windows 'System Image' backup, it sees the Corsair flash drive as a 'removable drive' and gives an error message that the image can't be saved there. Working with tech support, I've mentioned old forums talking about the RMB (removable media bit) that can be 'flipped' with Lexar drives but apparently can't be with Corsair drives. If it could, the flash drive would 'appear' to Windows 10 (or other version for that matter) as a FIXED --not removable-- drive and would allow backup. This is a pain since I can easily backup a windows 'system image' to a 1 or 2 TB external drive (which obviously aren't fixed and are removable too, like the flash drive). Just a quirk with this procedure. Looking for a workaround (other than having to use 3rd party backup software, such Macrium or Acronis).

Archived