Corsair Community

Power supply not turning off.

Scylipt

Hi all

I am hoping somebody can help with a problem I have.

When my computer is set to shut down, the process follows through the usual power off process and it seems everything turns off except the power supply fan, maybe also the VGA fan, I just hear a fan going, and the monitor. Windows shuts down and the monitor screen is black though is still powered on.

If I tell computer to restart, the process follows the usual restart process and turns itself OFF. No fans are on, all lights are off and it seems no power is in the system at all, as if a normal shutdown had taken place. After a 5 to 10 second period the system springs back into life and reboots back into windows as if it had just completed its restart process.

This problem began after a change in PSU. Before the problem, a 500W generic PSU was connected but would power the computer with only the SSD and CD drive attached, the graphic card secondary HDD and sound cards were all removed. I then purchased a 850W Corsair and attached the rest of my computer to the PCI and PCIE slots. I then noticed that the computer was failing to shut down correctly as stated above.

Things I have tried.

Booted into Linux Mint to see if it was a windows problem, the computer still failed to power off.

Turned off all Services and drivers except essential windows ones for a clean boot http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

What I will try unless you have a better option is to remove all hardware then add them one at a time to see when the problem occurs. However I would rather avoid doing this unless its a final option.

I did read somewhere and have also seen that there is a power option within BIos but I didnt want to mess around with it. Could it be a possible solution? There are only 2 power options that I can see. Would it be safe to switch to the other?

If I have missed out anything that will help fix this problem, please ask.

Regards, Henry.

Archived