Corsair Community

Black Screening / Video Card output switching off from iCUE

WhiskeyOmega

Since uninstalling icue, my system has been working fine.

Very disappointed with Corsair. The issue I have now is that there is no driver for the H100 Pro. You can only do this with icue. I wish I could return the Cooler but Novatech are not being great as the cooler isn’t physically broken even though the software to run it is!!!

Looks like I’m going to have to eBay the cooler, lose some money from my purchase & buy a different cooler.

This really has made me not want to buy any more Corsair products & not overly pleased with the way Novatech is handling the situation.

Hello,

Did you try to set iCue fans thermal sensor on motherboard and not processor?

• 5 weeks later...

So glad I found this thread. Didn’t know what exactly in iCUE that was causing my freezing and crashing. Problem still persists to this day. I’ll try the renaming of the DLL files when I get off from work in a couple of hours.

This actually happens on my z390 board, which is an ASUS Maximus XI HERO. Processor is a 9900k and a STRIX 1080ti.

Sad that this problem still persists to this day.

Edited by Hero

• 2 weeks later...
So here we are 2 years later and I still cannot use icue properly . Still no X79 support but im told icue isnt the only control program having this problem as NZXT Cam also no longer supports X79 due to the exact same issue with CPUID. So I get that now. Even though Ive just been lied to now for 2 years. Now I just have an on going issue with icue just causing cpu spikes all the time so I cant even use it without it draning my cpu. Whats even worse is neither of of these issue you acknoledge as a known issue even though I and other people have been screaming at you for 2 years to sort this. Im going to Computex on Sunday and I will make it well known just how bad this software is and just how little you care

Just started having this issue when I installed an H115I Pro Platinum RGB into my system. Mind you that I have been running iCUE for a year plus with my keyboard, mouse, and headset without any issues. It ran fine for a day or so as well after I installed the H115i Pro Platinum RGB. Once I started adding in monitors into the dashboard (H115i, CPU & motherboard sensors) is when things went south and I started getting the black screen lock ups and the system freezing to the point that I had to power it off with the PSU. To make it even more scary, after a couple of the crashes, my Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming motherboard would try to reboot, and then would fail to even POST and was showing an error with the CPU by hanging on the CPU LED on the motherboard diagnostics test.

This sounds like a known issue with the current and past versions of the iCUE software, which is kind of a major bummer as I was considering swapping out my RAM and entire RGB setup to be corsair as well so that I would be able to control everything from iCUE. Now I am kind of having second thoughts about that and even considering returning the H115i, even though it works amazingly well at cooling my system. ( An unstable system isn't worth much, no matter how cool it runs )

I guess my main question right now is, in the meantime, while I decide if I am going to start the return process and look elsewhere for a solution. If I rename the .dll files that others have mentioned, does the H115i go off the coolant temp to control fan speed or does it go off of the actual tdie temp and will I still be able to control the RGB in my current Corsair products if I rename those .dll files?

Thank you in advance for any answers to my questions.

Just started having this issue when I installed an H115I Pro Platinum RGB into my system. Mind you that I have been running iCUE for a year plus with my keyboard, mouse, and headset without any issues. It ran fine for a day or so as well after I installed the H115i Pro Platinum RGB. Once I started adding in monitors into the dashboard (H115i, CPU & motherboard sensors) is when things went south and I started getting the black screen lock ups and the system freezing to the point that I had to power it off with the PSU. To make it even more scary, after a couple of the crashes, my Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming motherboard would try to reboot, and then would fail to even POST and was showing an error with the CPU by hanging on the CPU LED on the motherboard diagnostics test.

This sounds like a known issue with the current and past versions of the iCUE software, which is kind of a major bummer as I was considering swapping out my RAM and entire RGB setup to be corsair as well so that I would be able to control everything from iCUE. Now I am kind of having second thoughts about that and even considering returning the H115i, even though it works amazingly well at cooling my system. ( An unstable system isn't worth much, no matter how cool it runs )

I guess my main question right now is, in the meantime, while I decide if I am going to start the return process and look elsewhere for a solution. If I rename the .dll files that others have mentioned, does the H115i go off the coolant temp to control fan speed or does it go off of the actual tdie temp and will I still be able to control the RGB in my current Corsair products if I rename those .dll files?

Thank you in advance for any answers to my questions.

First - to be clear, your case is not an example of the issue discussed on this thread. While the symptoms may be similar, if not the same, you are not running an Intel HEDT platform (X79, IIRC).

That said, you can try to rename the CPUID dlls to see if that helps. If you do, iCUE won't be able to monitor any system temps - so you won't have the tdie temperatures, GPU temperatures, HDD temperatures. You WILL have the H115i coolant temperature as that comes through the USB interface. Make sure that you report back if this resolves the black screen issue.

I would also strongly suggest that you make sure that all of your chipset/USB drivers are UP TO DATE as well as your cooler's firmware. There have been issues specifically with the AMD USB (AsMedia) chips and the Platinum coolers but a) most are resolved and b) this wasn't a symptom. Instead, the cooler would disconnect from USB.

First - to be clear, your case is not an example of the issue discussed on this thread. While the symptoms may be similar, if not the same, you are not running an Intel HEDT platform (X79, IIRC).

That said, you can try to rename the CPUID dlls to see if that helps. If you do, iCUE won't be able to monitor any system temps - so you won't have the tdie temperatures, GPU temperatures, HDD temperatures. You WILL have the H115i coolant temperature as that comes through the USB interface. Make sure that you report back if this resolves the black screen issue.

I would also strongly suggest that you make sure that all of your chipset/USB drivers are UP TO DATE as well as your cooler's firmware. There have been issues specifically with the AMD USB (AsMedia) chips and the Platinum coolers but a) most are resolved and b) this wasn't a symptom. Instead, the cooler would disconnect from USB.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate the quick response.

Looking through other posts in the forum, it may have been something else that could have been the black-screen lockup issue as well.

I've always run HWinfo to monitor other system temps/data as well.

I use the non-portable version and I have not told HWinfo to not monitor Corsair items. First, I am going to try and uninstall HWinfo and get the portable version and make sure it is not monitoring Corsair information and give that a try before I try and rename the .dll files. From what I have read, the portable version is a bit better about not having things loaded in the background when it is stopped. I imagine that running HWinfo and iCUE could have been causing an issue where HWinfo and iCUE were trying to access the same point at the same time and causing the hardware or some subsystem to go into a fault state.

It would be nice if there was a way to have iCUE display that system/hardware information(temps, fan & pump RPMs, coolant temp...) in a smaller window than the entire iCUE window, or even better, in the notification area with a hover-over icon that would give you the information that you have selected to be monitored in iCUE.

Edited to add: I do have the latest firmware, BIOS, iCUE, and hardware drivers installed.

Let us know your results. I have reported this on the Beta channel.

Ok, I uninstalled HWinfo. Got the portable version and can report that I have had no black screen crashes since then. I did also turn off the Corsair stuff in HWinfo as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Late to this thread, reckon I'd add another data point.

I've been fighting the black screen issue for a couple weeks now, first attributed it to the specific game I had been playing almost exclusively lately (Witcher 3 GOTY). But then started seeing it when I started playing POE:Legion this last week, so I did some more digging and found this thread.

FYI, never had ANY black screen issue with my other binge game, Division 2 (with the Corsair SDK enabled). Come to think of it, I had no real issues at all before installing the Commander Pro (used iCue with the PSU, RAM and headphones for months before CoPro and LL fans and RGB strip were installed)

Asus Strix B450 motherboard (with Aura and AI Suite software NOT installed)

Custom loop watercooled AMD Ryzen 5 2600 at stock (Asus "Level 4") boost clocks and voltages

16GB (2x 8GB) Corsair RGB Pro 3200 RAM at stock clocks

Corsair AX860i PSU with Link module

Corsair Void Pro wireless headphones

4x Corsair Lighting Link RGB strips

Custom loop watercooled EVGA RTX 2070 XC Gaming at stock EVGA boost clocks

XSPC 270 PWM D5 pump/res combo

5x Corsair LL120 intake fans on 240 and 320 radiator

1x Corsair LL140 exhaust fan

1x Corsair RGB node

1x Corsair Commander Pro

LL Fans connected to Corsair RGB hub connected to CoPro

LL Fans, PWM pump on CoPro fan headers

AX860i on CoPro USB port

Thermistor from reservoir on CoPro thermistor header

Custom fan and pump speed curves set by reservoir water temp thermistor.

AIDA64 Extreme for CPU/GPU/Mobo monitoring (NO Corsair sensors are monitored)

Razer Deathstalker Pro keyboard (with AIDA64 info sent to the LCD)

I can stop the issue by renaming the CPUIDSDK.dll and CPUIDSDK64.dll files in the iCue directory.

While I don't mind losing the iCue ability to monitor motherboard/CPU/GPU temps since all my curves are handled by thermistor temp and the rest of the hardware is monitored by AIDA64, it also removes my ability to even see the RGB Pro RAM in iCue, which does bother me.

Edited by Croak

• 2 weeks later...
After scratching my head for the last month or so, I've found this thread. It started after I picked up my Corsair K55 and Harpoon and installed the iCue software. My current set up is an Asus ROG B350, Ryzen 5 2400G, Corsair Vengeance RGB and a Gigabyte Windforce GTX1060. With the iCue software installed, I would generally get 1 black screen a day at random and some days 2 or 3. Only recourse is to flip the psu power switch. Also, although rarely, the system would just reboot. I've checked through all the system logs to see what could cause the crash to no avail. I've reseated the ram and gpu, changed the psu, upgraded to an AIO cooler and nothing has helped. Only fix so far has been to uninstall iCue to which the system has not had an issue for most of the day so far. But I actually like the iCue software and miss my macros and color sync for my keyboard, mouse and ram. I really don't want to get rid my Corsair items as they work well aside from the software. What should I try? I'm all ears at this point.

So 3 days later after uninstalling iCue, I am still black screen free. Now the question is, how do I get my macros and colors back without using iCue? So could it be something like the SteelSeries software, that particular software would not let my PC sleep while running. Although, if I remember correctly, iCue if closed would still not let me use my macros and colors would revert.

So 3 days later after uninstalling iCue, I am still black screen free. Now the question is, how do I get my macros and colors back without using iCue? So could it be something like the SteelSeries software, that particular software would not let my PC sleep while running. Although, if I remember correctly, iCue if closed would still not let me use my macros and colors would revert.

Have you tried renaming the CPUID SDK dll's? While you lose non-Corsair system monitoring, that seems to have resolve the issue with the x79's (IIRC) that were the source of this thread. Keep in mind that, while your symptoms may be the same or similar, there is likely a different underlying cause - so don't assume that you are in this same bucket or that it isn't/won't be/can't be fixed.

Have you tried renaming the CPUID SDK dll's? While you lose non-Corsair system monitoring, that seems to have resolve the issue with the x79's (IIRC) that were the source of this thread. Keep in mind that, while your symptoms may be the same or similar, there is likely a different underlying cause - so don't assume that you are in this same bucket or that it isn't/won't be/can't be fixed.

No, I haven't tried that yet. I also understand this isn't the same platform, but there are others who have the same platform as me with similar issues. Seems odd that with all these different systems all have the same or similar issues. With the iCue right in the middle of it. I don't remember but did anyone else also run HWmonitor as well?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I was able to get a Asus x99-A II mobo and a i7 5960x cpu from work. so far with that board I've haven't any more black screens. with my EVGA x79 dark mobo and 4930K setup, I got black screens with anything corsair running. After switching, I'm able to run ICUE all day while gaming and 3D creating.

I know it's not a fix but, maybe if you're able to get a different mobo and cpu your faith in Corsair may be restored.

Hi, guys! I was the author of reddit thread A YEAR ago (

)

Following that, I had a short Private Message conversation with user "Corsair James" (a Corsair employee, as I understand), where he had me test some beta-build, with modifying the CPUIDFeatures.xml file.

This is, it did work for me. For a time.

However, recently i had to reinstall the system, they already deleted that beta-build, so I installed the official one.

The problem was back.

I tried to have the same CPUIDFeatures.xml fix with that official build, but it didn't help.

Only iCUE uninstall worked. Which is sad, I still have a couple of Corsair devices.

It is really bad, that even a YEAR later, there's no fix.

I found this thread by luck. Too bad there is no solution :(. I'm having the same issue described here, I'm running a 4930k with a Asus Rampage black edition X79.

I recently upgraded to a RTX2080 founders edition from a GTX980 and also purchased a Corsair h115i pro the same day after installing everything and starting up my fist game I got the black screen about an hour into game play, dealt with it for about a week before I called Nvidia (got the card from a friend) and after troubleshooting with them they okay'ed for an RMA. I installed the 980 back and everything was great, get the card two weeks later installed it and black screen again. After that I'm starting to think there has to be something else happening after searching for a few hours for solutions I stumble across this thread, I had no Idea this had been going on for so long and being ignored.

I guess I'm stuck with a brand new card I can't use for now.

It's not been ignored. The issue is in the CPUIDSDK ... look in your iCUE folder for CPUIDSDK64.dll and rename it (after closing iCUE and stopping the service) to CPUIDSDK64.bak. That fixes the issue most of the time. I would suggest that you try that.

It's not been ignored. The issue is in the CPUIDSDK ... look in your iCUE folder for CPUIDSDK64.dll and rename it (after closing iCUE and stopping the service) to CPUIDSDK64.bak. That fixes the issue most of the time. I would suggest that you try that.

Nope. Just tried, didn't help (3 hours from that action to the bug). What else?

I'm having the same issue causing frustration (as im gaming) loosing experience and primarly time.

MSI X79-GD45+

intel i7 4930k

EVGA Titan X

Issue started after installing Icue. After reading this forum i have decided to uninstall icue and go back to cue 2, will report on how that goes.

• Corsair Employee

I really thought this issue has been long resolved after weeks of not seeing any reports on the forums and ticket inquiries. I'll talk to CorsairJames about this and we'll revisit the case and see whats triggering this behavior.

@Majkel0608, Does it only happen when you're gaming? what about when you're running other applications?

I would only run into this issue when playing games. I could run videos on YouTube, Netflix, and spend just about all day on the computer without being able to replicate the issue.

I have not tried the recommened work around since it's not a fix. Trouble shooting this was very time consuming since I could not replicate it on the spot. I had to load a game and play for a while beofre the issue occured.

I really thought this issue has been long resolved after weeks of not seeing any reports on the forums and ticket inquiries. I'll talk to CorsairJames about this and we'll revisit the case and see whats triggering this behavior.

@Majkel0608, Does it only happen when you're gaming? what about when you're running other applications?

Greybeard, yea after looking at when this thread has started i would assume it would have been fixed by now.

At first i thought it was an issue with my graphics card so i decided to stress test it however after 20 minutes i gave up as it was completely stable.

Its difficult to answer your question as it happens completely random. It happens primarily in game (windowed mode). After dying twice decided to look more in depth into it, where i stumbled accross this thread.

Running Cue 2 now so hopefully it doesnt cause any more problems!