Corsair Community

H100i each day my CPU temp is hotter !

dihelson

Hello, folks,

This is my firs post here on forum.

I use a Corsair H100i ( Not the v2 version ) for 5 years now. My machine uses an intel i7 2600k overclocked to 4.6Ghz ( 16Gb RAM ) and I use it basically for Adobe Premiere rendering. It is a very good computer, considering the age and speed.

In the last weeks I noticed my CPU temperatures way above the normal. It began with adobe premiere rendering giving windows BSOD, which never did earlier. I checked temperatures, and noticed that while rendering, it went to over 96 degrees celsius. This is odd, because some weeks ago it used to be around 60 to 70 degrees, even overclocked.

I disabled overclock and temperatures went down a bit, but over time, it keeps raising again and again. Now, even in stock clock, ( 3.4 Ghz ), and using only 5% of CPU load, I get around 70 degrees celsius. I checked Corsair Link software, and the pump is around 2200rpm and fans around 2000rpm. I tried the performance mode, but no improvement on temperatures. I don´t know what´s going on, because just now, for instance, I read 57 degrees on the H100i ( Link ) and 72 degrees at the CPU. What´s happening ? Looks like H100i is cold in relation to the CPU, as the heat is not transfering completely to the H100i, is that right ? The air flowing above the PC is not very hot, as it used to be. I don´t know what´s going on. Is my H100i dying ? Over the last month I didn´t notice any strange noise on the pump, but today I noticed for some minutes, then it went normal. No noise.

In the case of changing the water cooler, what cooler do you suggest ? If it is the case, I intend to purchase one with a very robust construction for long lasting. I don´t intend to change cooler from time to time. I know 5 years is a good time, that´s why I choosed corsair.

I was just seeing the new H100i V2 and H115i Pro. H115 looks nice, but I don´t know about performance, looks like it runs fans on 1200rpm, which is somewhat low, and I intend to soon purchase a new Intel i9 9900k running at 4.8 to 5Ghz, but here on my country, these Corsair coolers are VERY expensive, and I don´t intend to purchase the H150. Would the H115 Pro work fine for a good overclock on i9 9900k ?

Thanks any help in advance

I think your H100i is at its end. Typically, you should not see coolant temperature (H100i Temp) go past 40C, except when in a very warm room environment. 57C is way out of bounds. The coolant and cpu temp typically are only in unison when at a resting idle with power saving features reducing the Vcore. That coolant temperature is a measure of how much heat is in the system and 57C that means something is wrong and it can’t get rid of it. It could be mechanical and the pump is just spinning but not moving fluid. However, more common is the fluid is blocked from efficently getting to the radiator. If you put your hand on the exhaust side, the air should be 57C as well. That would be uncomfortably hot on your skin. Most likely the air is going to feel cold. That is the telling indicator something has gone wrong.

The H115i Pro is plenty of cooler for the 9900K. The difference between a 280mm radiator and a 360mm (H150i) dwindles as fan speed increases. As for the fans themselves, you most likely will not need more than the 1100 rpm you get on the stock fans. As it happens, I ran this premise through my own system yesterday with a 2080 Ti connected to a 280x27mm radiator. I was really trying to keep the coolant temp as low as possible and on a tight rein. I ran through my various fans, including the 1200 rpm ML140-RGB/Quiet, Noctua A14 industrial 2000, and ML140 Pro 2000 rpm. The ML fans are indentical in construction, except the lights and max speed. As such they have identical performance at the 1100 rpm radiator restricted max. This amounts to a +10C coolant change on the 315W GPU that was running hard. Increasing the speed to 1500 rpm saved me 1C. 1850 rpm (max on radiator) saved me 1.5C. 2000 rpm is intolerable if you’re in the room and frankly I can’t handle 1500 either. The surprise to me was my A14i were worse than the ML by 2C at 1100 rpm and louder. At 1500 rpm, it was only even with the ML Pro at 1200. Now all of this is with 300-315W. A 9900K will at worst a 100W less meaning the difference between 1100 and 1500 rpm is likely to be 1C or less. You will be fine with the ML-Quiet and the 9900K will always be limited at the cpu itself.

I do not recommend the H100i v2 for you.

I think your H100i is at its end. Typically, you should not see coolant temperature (H100i Temp) go past 40C, except when in a very warm room environment. 57C is way out of bounds. The coolant and cpu temp

The H115i Pro is plenty of cooler for the 9900K. The difference between a 280mm radiator and a 360mm (H150i) dwindles as fan speed increases.

c-attack, thank you so much for this precious information. You´re probably right, there´s some mechanical problem with my H100i, and it´s getting worse and worse. I noticed the difference from yesterday. Looks like I´ll have some hours more to shutdown, and from where I live, it will take many days to arrive a new water cooler. Probably, I´ll have to use another computer, or the intel original air cooler until the new one arrives. Thanks for the information about H115i and the 280mm radiator.

Could you tell me if H115i comes already with a small quantity of thermal paste, and if I should let it, or should I remove and use something "better" like "artic silver" or any other thermal compound in order to improve contact and heat transfer to the cooler ? Is an expensive and somewhat by here "rare" thermal paste necessary, or can we use the original one with excellent results ?

Thank you so much !

No, you can use the pre-applied thermal paste and it will be hard to tell the difference between it and anything else. I typically use it the first time and then only replace it later on when I need to take out the cooler or time goes by. I don't think AS would be an improvement regardless. There are some newer compounds that might let you scrape out 1C less, but usually at an inflated price.

Archived