Corsair Community

CMW32GX4M2Z3200C16 vs CMW32GX4M2C3200C16

Mooan

Hi.

I currently have got CMW32GX4M2C3200C16 which I bought in October 2018. It's working fine on my Asus x470 pro with Ryzen 7 2700X.

I want to buy another 32GB, but I noticed there is a Ryzen optimized version now (CMW32GX4M2Z3200C16), with a bit different timings (?)

Which one would be smarter to buy, to not cause compatibility issues, but get the best possible performance?

Hi.

I currently have got CMW32GX4M2C3200C16 which I bought in October 2018. It's working fine on my Asus x470 pro with Ryzen 7 2700X.

I want to buy another 32GB, but I noticed there is a Ryzen optimized version now (CMW32GX4M2Z3200C16), with a bit different timings (?)

Which one would be smarter to buy, to not cause compatibility issues, but get the best possible performance?

Generally it is not recommended to mix two different ram kits since you may have compatibility issues. If you are going to mix them then it's important to ensure both model and version number of the ram kits match, however this may be difficult to do if you are not picking it off the shelf where you can actually inspect the packaging.

If you do fully populate your ram be aware you may need to reduce your frequency as you increase the load on the memory controller.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your reply.

I bought the second "CMW32GX4M2C3200C16", unfortunately it didn't want to work on 3200Mhz, or even lower ~2600Mhz.

Memtest photo:

https://i.imgur.com/FCkLuIK.jpg

I noticed that my old version is 4.31, while the new one was 4.32.

I refunded the new kit, as it was not worth to lose performance by increasing times / lowering Mhz.

Instead, I managed to run my current RAM at lower timings (3200 14 14 14 14 30).

The other thing I noticed - this motherboard has gray and black slots. It seems to work much worse in the black once. For example, when I only started PC with RAM in black slots, it rebooted 5 times and booted in fail-safe mode, so I could disable the XMP profile. At the next attempt, when I re-enabled and set 3200 XMP - it rebooted correctly and memtest passed. Maybe the black one is not the primary slot, that's why it works worse? Otherwise a defective motherboard... but I don't have time nor power to RMA it :(

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you for your reply.

I bought the second "CMW32GX4M2C3200C16", unfortunately it didn't want to work on 3200Mhz, or even lower ~2600Mhz.

Memtest photo:

https://i.imgur.com/FCkLuIK.jpg

I noticed that my old version is 4.31, while the new one was 4.32.

I refunded the new kit, as it was not worth to lose performance by increasing times / lowering Mhz.

Instead, I managed to run my current RAM at lower timings (3200 14 14 14 14 30).

The other thing I noticed - this motherboard has gray and black slots. It seems to work much worse in the black once. For example, when I only started PC with RAM in black slots, it rebooted 5 times and booted in fail-safe mode, so I could disable the XMP profile. At the next attempt, when I re-enabled and set 3200 XMP - it rebooted correctly and memtest passed. Maybe the black one is not the primary slot, that's why it works worse? Otherwise a defective motherboard... but I don't have time nor power to RMA it :(

As far as I know you are supposed to fill your primary slots first. You would need to check our motherboard manual to be sure but A2+B2 is typically the primary from what I have seen so far.