Corsair Community

Pump Header or CPU_FAN header for AIO?

09subie

Hey Guys,

I recently just built my first gaming PC and I have a question regarding the AIO and setting it up. Initially I installed the H100i V2 and plugged it into the CPU_FAN header on the motherboard. Everything turned on without any errors and my temps were good both idle and under load. However I did notice that in corsair link my fan RPM was 0% (even though it was spinning) and the pump RPM seemed a bit low. To fix this I had to disable the Q-Fan completely in the BIOS (which seemed a little odd to me, not that comfortable changing things in the BIOS).

Doing more research online I read that you can set up the AIO two different ways:

1.) Plug it into the AIO Pump header doing it this way will give you a CPU_FAN error since nothing is plugged in that header. I'd need to ignore the CPU_FAN in BIOS to stop that error if I went this route.

2.) Plug into CPU_FAN header but you need to go into BIOS and "Disable" Q-Fan (so it gets the static 12V to the pump).

As of right now I'm doing #2 and have disabled Q-Fan in the BIOS. My pump RPM is where it should be and the fan RPM is registering in corsair link. I guess my question is which way is everyone selecting when installing an AIO? Also is the way I have it set up the correct/most optimal way? Just trying to figure out the pro's and con's of each. (i've called corsair and asus and heard two different answers).

Also below is my build list in case that will help anyone in answering my question.

PC Specs:

I7 7000K

Corsair H100i V2

ASUS ROG Formula IX Motherboard

ASUS ROG STRIX 1080 TI

Corsair Vengeance 16G 3200 RAM

Corsair 850 Watt Power Supply

Corsair 760T Case

Samsung 512 SSD

2TB Barracuda HD

LG Blue Ray Player

Thanks,

Luke

I connected pump to cpu fan and set to full speed in bios. I have the pump fans plugged into the y splitter. I am getting max pump speed and my fan rpm is now stuck at 2700 and loud as heck. I have tried changing the speed in the link software but getting no where. I am not sure whats going on but I def cant take it this loud.

So you have it plugged into the same header as me. The only difference is you set your fans to MAX and I disabled Q-Fan....(although I think disabling Q-fan is the same thing as max. I could be wrong though).

For me I can select quiet, balanced and performance or custom. I also select the fan curve to go off of the h100i V2 water temp. So in quiet mode while gaming the h100i V2 water temp usually peaks at 32.5c and the fans are at 1200 rpm..

Try uninstalling the Corsair Link and re install again I hope that fixes your issue.

Going back to my original question if anyone else has any insight that would be great! This is my first time building a PC and I want to make sure I have it set up correctly.

Thanks!

Effectively, it does not matter whether you use CPU Fan, AIO (W_PUMP), or any other CHA_FAN header for the H100i v2. The only requirement is that header needs to be set to "Full Speed" in Q-fan, which is E-Z BIOS speak for Disabled in the advanced BIOS. You can also click PWM to make sure it is providing 12v at all times.

Within the minutia, there are some reasons to favor one header of the other.

1) CPU FAN has limited other purposes if you do not use it for the H100i v2 lead. Its fan control is locked to CPU temp, it is restricted with shorter fan delays, and it cannot be controlled in the same way as the other headers. CPU and its mirror OPT were designed for a traditional air tower with two fans. OPT will always run the same speed and CPU Fan and is not controllable on Asus boards. Putting something like your rear or top standard case fans on this will cause those fans to race about like crazy. Additionally, the CPU warning you disabled will give you a major clue if the pump has stopped or something else has gone wrong with the H100i v2.

2) AIO or W_Pump header - It's just a standard CHA fan preset to run at 12v maximum with a cool new marketing tag. On some boards it can be reconfigured back into a CHA header. On others, it cannot. The answer to that may affect your decision on which header to use and if you are short headers for your case fans. By default, anything connected to it will run at 100%. This is the header to use if you decide you want motherboard control of your radiator fans (for whatever reason). H100i v2 to AIO header. Two radiator fans to CPU/OPT individually. Never run the pump on CPU and the fans on OPT or vice versa.

3) In theory, you can set a CHA header to Full Speed and do this as well, but that would likely be wasteful on most boards. Some people still do it because of header location and wiring.

None of these affect the cooler's operation or LINK, but do matter for the remainder of your case fan management.

So I finally hooked up my pump to the AIO header and one of my radiator fans to the cpu header and left the other one in the y splitter coming out of the pump. Things finally seem to be working in Corsair Link. I can control the profiles and the pump is working at 100% The only thing that's happening now is link just randomly starting showing me having 9 fans lol. I got no clue.

IMG_8040.JPG.a54b3043c95668ded3a34416dba67186.JPG

Archived