Corsair Community

Running LED strips from Fan Hub?

relentlesstech

I just had my new CLNP burn up on me yesterday, so now I have two of my main LED strips out of commission - Is it possible to run the strips from the Fan Hub, and if so, which wires do I need to connect?

Fan Hub plug >-------(4 wire)---|-------->LED strip (3 wire)

[uPDATED]

I 'think' I have it figured out, but will wait for confirmation before I do any actual wiring - I am assuming the 'arrow' on the plug means it is the +5v, and the two middle wires are data (Not sure which is in or out), and last one is the ground - Am I correct?

Edited by relentlesstech
I think I figured the wiring out

Dude ... it's a customer forum with volunteers answering stuff on their own time. And your question, in particular, isn't common knowledge. Chill out. Just because of your follow-up, I've half a mind to just ignore you. But ... I spend my own time here to help out so that's what I'll do.

The triangle marks pin 1. This is +5V. Pin 2 is Data Return (from fan). Pin 3 is Data Out (to fan), Pin 4 is Ground.

If it's the last thing on the hub, you only need Pin 3 connected to Pin 2 for the strip. If it's not, you need to jump Pin 2 and Pin 3 to duplicate the signal to the next device in the line.

You can run up to 12 strips from a fan hub using this kind of adapter - 6 on each port. Don't put any more than 120 LEDs on a single fan hub.

This, by the way, is information that I've posted several other times, so a search would find it for you. So you wouldn't have to wait 24 hours.

And, for the record, that was more than "2 damned seconds".

• Confused 1

I apologize for being so short, and thank you for replying - I'm not normally impatient in the least bit, but between my new LNP burning up on me, and several other issues with this build, I was beyond frustrated and just wanted to get the build done - Once again, I appreciate you deciding to answer me, despite how I came across!

On a related note, I did search the forum before posting, but did not find any matches ...

One more quick question:

The LNP that burned up on me was plugged into my Commander Pro, and now the two USB ports on the CP stopped working (However, everything else still works) - Most likely due to the LNP causing a surge?

I had channel 1 on the LNP hooked into my front fans Hub (5x LL120), and the LNP plugged into one of the USB ports on the CP - iCue was only recognizing my CP and the LNP I have for rear fans, not the one I got with my LL kit - After checking all the connections several times it was finally recognized in iCue, but when I changed the lighting iCue froze up, and the new LNP started smoking - Once I shut down, removed the fried LNP, and restarted, my other LNP (Plugged into CP USB port) was no longer recognized, but plugged into mobo header it works just fine - The only thing that changed was the LNP shorting out, so I was assuming that was what caused the CP USBs to stop working - Everything else that was plugged into other hubs, etc still work (Even the fans that were plugged into the fried LNP)

Fried LNP:

https://forum.corsair.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=37356&d=1579693270

Wow. That might have done it.

It looks like a short or miswire. Was the cable to the PSU original to the PSU? We only typically see this when a "foreign PSU cable" is used.

To answer your other question - you've have to contact Corsair support. It's likely that your quickest option is an exchange at the vendor. But that would mean the entire kit. I'm not sure if Corsair support can just send an LNP but you can ask.

The cable came with the PSU - I also had my main SDD plugged into the same cable, yet it was not affected at all (I replaced the cable with another new one that came with the PSU) - It seemed that whatever the issue is was only affecting the LNP ...

I have two other spare LNPs that came with other fans that I never used, so I'm not really worried about RMAing it anymore, especially with the CP USBs not working, I'd have to get a hub to run anything else. I tried running one of my strips from the fan hub, but for some reason it didn't work, however, I did figure out that I could make a splitter for the channel to run two separate strips without them being chained together, so at least I learned something new today LOL