Corsair Community

Below are some links to some combos from Newegg I am considering to upgrade a home office/gaming system. Current setup is an i7 2600k with poorly matched 4 sticks of 32 gb dd3 running on an asrock z68, boot drive is a SATA 3 ssd, video card 1080 TI from Asus. Games run fine, generally only play in 1080p and if i do DSR or plug into the tv and play at 4k it is usually not a problem, but speed never hurt anybody and I'll probably upgrade to a 4k monitor when they get more reasonably priced.

The situation is not dire (in fact i am just as happy to wait weeks or months but combos seem pretty reasonable and i have takers for my leftovers), but I do notice a difference between home and office PC and then when I have to "take work home"...its a super disincentive to stop procrastinating when the computer at work is faster...

Anyways, that system is a I7 7700 (non K) running on 16 gb of well matched DDR4 (not sure of the clock) on a decent mobo (MSI i believe), and a 2TB U.2 nVME as boot drive. That said, the boot drive being nvme u.2 x4 is really the kicker-difference, but the differential between a 7700 and a 2600, even overclocked is about 40% and probably more given whatever stuff goes on in the background with low level stuff.

Also the DDR4 vs DDR3 is probably just about that much faster.

If I go with any of these below, its a big jump forward, trying to keep it under $1k, ideally closer to $700? and over the years i always seem to regret cheaping out on the mobo :). I'll probably buy a u.2 replacement for boot drive in the near future. As i understand it, the modern 7700k replacement is only marginally better in certain categories. I intend to include a corsair H100I V2 water cooler in the mix, but again, may defer that purchase for a few weeks as i may be able to use the fan heatsink i have now in the interim. Very happy with current case and my extra overkill corsair power supply, peripherals (and optical :meme:) etc. Currently have a Coolermaster Hafx at home on wheels but I have been sort of lusting after that all glass 570...

Combo.3484737

Combo.3706523

Combo.3381889

Combo.3466728

TIA advice welcome! Don't want to pull the trigger on a bad deal...

Relocated from memory forum, my bad...

I'd go with the i7 8700K combo just because its the latest CPU. i7 7700k/Z270 is a dead pathway, no chance of anything coming out for it in the future. The new CPUs, you atleast have a chance of being able to upgrade it down the line.

Combo.3706529

Thank you, that was sound advice. I actually just pulled the trigger on the above combo instead. Stayed in my price range and I can see about switching to water cooling in the future, or upgrading/expanding my ram or waiting for a future processor release.

you da man. now comes the terrible part, of waiting for it to arrive... :(

Combo.3706529

Thank you, that was sound advice. I actually just pulled the trigger on the above combo instead. Stayed in my price range and I can see about switching to water cooling in the future, or upgrading/expanding my ram or waiting for a future processor release.

you da man. now comes the terrible part, of waiting for it to arrive... :(

Haha, I hear ya. More parts to build have arrived, so back to working on the fans, LED strips and making sure I connect everything properly. Happy building!

So I put it in but I had to use my old heat sink fan because i got out of work late...boo. I'll be grabbing a decent one at a retail outlet, may even jump for a 100v2...it is in stock near me at OkBuy

Right now im running risky with no thermal paste with the doors off, so i gotta make a move one way or another.

The sad old board but was just too long in the tooth

Needs More RGB

That will also give me the opportunity to clean up the cables and get a black Sata replacement. So sad looking at those two sticks...its just plain wrong.

Sada Situation

Unwrapping a Gear Grip looks scandalous no?

Also, I'm loving some things about this mobo, like the bios so far has a nice UEFI and seemed to transition beautifully, i plugged everything in the first time, clean boot, nothing happened...no cmos resets. I'm not sure in my 3 decades of PCing that has ever happened to me before.

That said, I am not in love with the limited rear USBs. At least they are USB threes. Technically i could plug all my devices in as the K 95 supposedly does not mind dangling if the one is in a USB3, but...that's not what I had in mind. I think I'd rather use the polaris USB with a short unravel on the Scimitar.

Having a front panel USB 3 without rear cable re routing is a serious benefit! Guess that's what six years before upgrades buys you. System seems darn snappy too.

I am going to have to buy a commander pro tomorrow as well as I definitely can't plug in all my case fans or at least not in any respectable fashion...Mobo has some weird choices for where to put chassis fan plugs. Also, it is technically ATX compatible, but there's a scary amount of give on the side furthest forward on this board. I put my fingers underneath it plugging in the dimms the power and even the header stuff. Its like 3 inches to the nearest stand off screw all the way down the board...

Archived