Corsair Community

Corsair AX1200i Problems? Computer Shutting off once a day

siphex

I should note that when I link the AX1200i to its factory default profile, the fan effectively stops moving. With the new custom profile it seems that the fan is always moving which is what I want!

I think the suggestion that the fan stopping is causing some sort of overheating or something is probably it.

Godspeed.

I should note that when I link the AX1200i to its factory default profile, the fan effectively stops moving. With the new custom profile it seems that the fan is always moving which is what I want!

I think the suggestion that the fan stopping is causing some sort of overheating or something is probably it.

No, this PSU like most every recent version has a zero-fan mode at low power and temperature levels. The thresholds are different for different models. It is a combination of PSU temp and/or watts in use. It's not suppose to run at lower levels, but it's fine if you choose to. I do as well for reasons not related to the PSU.

However, be aware the AX1200i has a bug where you will revert back to the default fan curve after putting the PC into S3 sleep and then waking it. iCUE may show you as being on your custom fan profile, but a quick physical check will show the fan not spinning. It has reverted to the default profile. There is nothing you can do in iCUE to resolve this. It requires a disconnect of the USB connection somewhere along the AX1200i path. I use sleep mode a lot and was not about to open up the case every time for this. I ran an internal 9 pin to USB connection to the rear I/O panel so I can quickly reset the PSU when needed. It will also self correct on restart. If you don't use sleep, then this will not occur.

I came here wondering what had caused my profile to reset, and you had already answered the question! Thank you! S3 sleep has been disabled.

It had turned out this time though that my PSU (or iCUE) was causing BSOD's in some fashion instead of doing the "turning off and won't turn back on" act.

• 1 month later...

Although I am reading tech forums regularly and especially if there is a hardware problem I encounter, I don't usually write my thoughts or experiences. However this time Corsair made me really angry.

To cut the long story sort, by December of 2019 I decided to build a new PC based on AMD ryzen 9 3950X with Asus Croshair formula VIII x570 32 GB Trident Z neo 3600 CL 16 kit, Corsair Obsidian 1000D case and custom made EK waterblocks solution for cooling. All the pieces were very carefully selected and I am really happy from the performance of the system which is way above my expectations regarding its performance, silence and appearance due to RGB :biggrin:

One problem I have it comes from the obsidian 1000D embedded Commander pro which is denying to work with the internal USB connector of my M/B properly From what I have learned there is some miss compatibility of the internal A GL525G chip which controls the internal USB connectors and the Commander pro. A workaround used to fix the problem by running an external USB cable inside the chassis. The internal usb header works perfectly well with anything else connected to it. Only commander pro has problem and although initially works at random times it drops the connection. I am pretty sure it some design flaw of the commander pro and not the motherboard itself.

Anyway, with that said system is fine as mentioned and then I though it would be good time to replace my aging Enermax 1000DXII psu. An amazingly good psu of 1000w power working night and day for more than 10 years without giving me slightest problem ever. For the sake of long term performance and aesthetics I decided to replace it and use it in my secondary PC build. And that is the point where all starting messing up.

After many hours of reading and digging reviews in order to find the proper psu replacement I found that all major (not to say 100%) reviewing sites recommended Corsair AX1200i. I was aware that this was good PSU since its release but I thought that 9 years have past and there might be something else good out there but not. Still the reference PSU is this one and anything else compared to it is inferior. So I 've ordered one and after 20 days I got it. Pretty happy with all except the PSU was shutting off my system randomly without real load on it. The problem was happening constantly : every time the system turned on, it was 100% sure that it will shut and no adjustment through Icue helped either. So I decided to pull it off my system and test it on the bench using the "paper clip" method since the self test worked fine. And yes the PSU did exactly the same, worked for few minutes and then red light appears and shuts off. As a result I returned the psu to the retailer and after 10 days of debate and arguments with them I 've got a refund since their replacement was the same model but with an opened seal and thus I dined it.

Yesterday afternoon I went to another retailer and got my hands on a brand new PSU again AX1200i sealed and all. Luckily enough for me, since it was late night, I decided to make the installation next morning but I opened the packaging and the psu was fine. So yes, I put it on the mains plug, connected to it, pressed and self test button and nothing, zero no light no fan speed not

a thing. Checked the plug and was fine.... recheck the psu and nothing.

So yes, here we are with 2x AX1200i "exceptionally and phenomenal" and reference model PSUs broken AND Dead On Arrival. Of course I red all the available comments of people using this model in the past and there is a lot 100% justified negativity, but I was like " is not going to happen to me..." . Looks like though the problem with these PSU and especially CORSAIR PSU dpt is so big that is almost certain that you will face it sooner or later.

It is pity cause I was aiming for this PSU for so long now as a result of the good reviews and all. It is pity because I was kind of "corsair funboy"... I like their products, fans and cases and K/Bs I am using them so to speak. However, something is really wrong with their products or their quality control methods.

I have had problems with the original non rgb K95 K/B with lights burning out really fast in 3 k/b replacements I 've got (4 in total) till I got the RGB model as a replacement which still works fine. However what happened to me with the PSU was beyond my imagination.

So guys I know people here come to whine after their purchase and not before, but if it is to buy a new PSU and to put it in a nice manner, think twice if it is Corsair especially the digital series (AXi).

Edited by sfdmark

• 8 months later...

I have been having trouble recently with my AX1200i as well with the same symptoms as those described above (random shutdowns/restarts).

My PC is pretty ancient and although I am running Windows 10, it's only running the 1909 build. I noticed that looking in device manager, the USBXp driver was reporting a problem and in both Corsair Link and iCue the power supply had stopped showing up at all.

After reinstalling the OS (eventually the random restarts corrupted the installation so was force to reinstall) I was still getting random restarts and the USBXp driver was still showing issues. To fix this I've simply unplugged the power supply from the USB port and it has gone back to being rock solid for the last couple of days (touch wood). This makes me think that it's not a hardware issue but instead a software issue with either iCue/Corsair Link/USBXp Driver/Windows 10 on my particular build.

So in short, if you are still having issues with random restarts, unplug the power supply from the USB port and see if that fixes the issue.

Same exact problem with my AX1200i. After two weeks of usage PSU started to cut the power randomly. Sometimes once a day, sometimes three times a day. It even happened while I was changing settings in BIOS. I was lucky enough to order a replacement in my local store. Now my concern is will it happen again since it seems that this problem is very common with AX series

Same problem with the AX1000. Random shutdowns forcing of course reboots due to loss of power. Some are during load but other are when the supply is lightly loaded (250w). You pay premium for Corsair supply and it performs like some Chinese $50 supply. Sounds like a design issue and we should be getting refunds. Demand it if you RMA and let us know what happens.

• Corsair Employee
Same problem with the AX1000. Random shutdowns forcing of course reboots due to loss of power. Some are during load but other are when the supply is lightly loaded (250w). You pay premium for Corsair supply and it performs like some Chinese $50 supply. Sounds like a design issue and we should be getting refunds. Demand it if you RMA and let us know what happens.

That doesn't make sense. You realize that an AX1000 is a completely different PSU than AX1200i and isn't even made by the same OEM.

If you want help with your PSU, I suggest starting a new thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, same here with my AX1200i. Random shutdowns with the red light and not dependant on the load, it happens in idle, while gaming and during high load scenarios (around 1000W 12V power). Temperatures are fine and I get this problem with and without the USB connected. I already RMAd my power supply, the brand new exchange unit had this issue just after 2 weeks again. I made sure that it is not my power and PC, all voltages seem too be fine on the PSU. I hope Corsair finally can fix this issue, it's annoying and should not be present on a premium PSU line.

I'm going to RMA again tomorrow.