Corsair Community

h115i difference in pipe temperatures

Random02

Hello

I'm really confused. I have 9700k that is running at 4.8ghz @ 1.25v.

I've been having problems with temps hitting around 94 degrees in cinebench. I've reseated the water block. The thermal paste is spreading nicely. Ambient is around 26 degrees. Coolant does rise to about 36-38 degrees. the corsair software says the pump is working at 3000rpm.

So I know my temp under load is really bad. I'm not sure what the cause is. I felt the temps of the two water pipes with my hand. Is it normal for one pipe to be a lot hotter than the other one?

I've seen different answers on forms so now I'm not sure

Edited by Random02
spelling

No, the most coolant temp drop you could ever get in one pass through the radiator is about 2C. That is on the border of imperceptible to touch. If you put your fingers close to the block you may feel some transmitted heat, but it is not the coolant per se. Normally a clear tube temp differential is a big warning sign. However, you coolant idle temp and rise are on spec. If you had a blockage creating that situation, I would expect a much higher coolant temperature, idle and load.

We have seen this problem on this cooler before, so it is certainly not impossible and this could be a very early stage. One of the things to keep an eye on is your coolant to CPU temperature differential. At given voltage, this value should be the same all the time. You can see this whenever you initiate a stress test. Your CPU temp is steady at 30C, you start the test, instant 75C than it slowly climbs over several minutes. Your full voltage load is +45C. Even when the cooler fails, that value holds, but it is the coolant that get really warm and 50C +45C = trouble. If the CPU temps hits 94C with the coolant at 30C, it suggests there may be another issue. Also keep an eye on actual load Vcore as reported by iCUE or any other software. If you have a lot of things on Auto in the BIOS, it will not stay where you expect, particularly on Asus boards.

Also of note, cooler flow problems are present at idle and load. Sitting at the desktop doing nothing, the coolant will keep creeping up. After any kind of load, coolant temps are too high and seem to never come down. A working cooler will drop 5-6C off the peak in 1-3 minutes and the last 1-2 thereafter. Your temps do sound a bit high, but there are a lot of possible causes, not all of them terminal.

Take a look at your actual vCore as well, not just what you set in the BIOS. Other settings (especially Load Line Calibration) can shoot you to higher voltage than you set in the BIOS. What does something like ... say ... HWInfo say is your max vCore?

So, the vcore does stay stable at 1.25v in cpuZ I set it manually. The coolent temp at idle is now 42 degrees. So i think it was early on failure. that now turned in to propper failure. Instant 100 degrees under load . 48 on idle. Damn

Contact Corsair Tech Support through the ticket system link in the menu above. You'll need to upload the purchase receipt to establish the warranty period. It does appear to be a blockage or other flow problem. Focus on the high idle coolant temp or any idle temperature creep you see. Also include the strong temperature feel difference between the hoses. Those are clear indicators.

In the interim, put on any back up air cooler if you have one. If not, another option is go pick a new water cooler you'd would like and install it now. Save the new replacement H115i as a back up. I used to always keep a back up little air tower, but these days case restrictions or more often my RAM height would prevent me from ever installing one. Now its a back up AIO that I can bolt on in 10 minutes instead of 4 hours with little wrenches and stripping the case down so I can get inside. As a last resort, give the tubes a little back with the back end of a screw driver, a soft tap on the pump shell, or tilt the case a little bit back and forth. Other users have reported some temporary relief. It's just luck if it works, but it might help get you through a few more days. The debris or material causing the blockage is still there and what's in that loop stays. It will reoccur and you still need to replace it.