The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Solid State Drives (SSD)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-12-2011, 11:04 PM
Brendruis's PC Specs

POST ID # = 527122
Brendruis Reputation: 10
Default 'PCH Voltage: The only thing that works' A testing report

Hey Corsair Forums,

This is purely a record of my somewhat exhaustive testing regarding the Force GT 120GB (and SF-2281 controller driven SSDs in general) in compatibility with P67 series chipsets.

If you are having problems with P67 chipset, please attempt raising PCH voltage in your BIOS. Throughout all of my testing this is the only method that stops the disappearing drive symptom.

My testing began with known working system, optimized defaults P67 motherboard. I first tested using Firmware 1.2 with Intel RST OROM 10.5 from ASUS website. Result was very frequent freezes almost every 10 minutes. The drive exhibits this behavior with Firmware 1.2 until LPM registry fix is applied. This is separate from infamous "sandforce BSOD" problem and this issue may have been resolved with Firmware update 1.3.

The next stage of my testing involved Firmware 1.3, with the same configuration and Intel RST OROM 10.5 with LPM registry fix applied. The result was blue screens approximately every 16-24 hours. I then attempted loading Intel RST OROM 10.6, and the result was the same with BSOD every 16-24 hours and the drive disappears from BIOS. Firmware 1.3 tried with MSAHCI driver and the result is the same. Firmware 1.3 does not resolve the infamous Sandforce BSOD, at least not in any my testing.

Final stage of testing involved BIOS setting adjustment recommended in this forum tried one at a time for log purposes. Using Firmware 1.3, adjusted BIOS setting to Hotplug enabled on Port 0. No effect on issue, BSOD persists every 16-24 hours. Next I adjust PCH chipset voltage to 1.150V. The result is that BSOD no longer occurs on that interval infact not again for 17 straight days. PCH voltage is THE ONLY ADJUSTMENT that works to affect stability on the P67 chipset. Whether or not this is an Intel or Sandforce problem is unknown, but there is clearly a lack of compatibility between the devices at optimized default setting. Sandforce and Intel have claimed they are working in cooperation to solve the problem. UNTIL THEN IF YOU HAVE A P67 CHIPSET THEN RAISING PCH VOLTAGE IS YOUR ONLY SOLUTION (ALONG WITH LPM REG FIX IF YOU USE INTEL RST)

There are still some quirks and such possibly related to compatibility as within those 17 days explorer.exe did crash once while copying a file. I am unsure what to attribute this to other than the aforementioned issues between P67 and Sandforce.

I hope my research has been helpful. Please I would appreciate comments on your thoughts and the results of your individual testing. Did adjusting PCH voltage work for you?

Old 09-13-2011, 02:58 AM

POST ID # = 527160
biatche Reputation: 10

Good to know. Thanks. For me, disabling TRIM is the only thing that stabilized the drive. Would like to hear other feedback first before trying this + reenabling TRIM.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:37 AM
Brendruis's PC Specs

POST ID # = 527167

Quote:
Originally Posted by biatche View Post
Good to know. Thanks. For me, disabling TRIM is the only thing that stabilized the drive. Would like to hear other feedback first before trying this + reenabling TRIM.
Try PCH voltage if you use a similar configuration.. trust me. Disabling TRIM sucks you don't want to do that man

Old 09-13-2011, 03:58 AM

POST ID # = 527176
Toasted Toasted Reputation: 108

This was suggested on the force 3 threads. it worked for some and didn't work for others.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:27 PM
Brendruis's PC Specs

POST ID # = 527286

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasted View Post
This was suggested on the force 3 threads. it worked for some and didn't work for others.
For those with P67/Z68 chipset I strongly suggest trying it. I was actually able to reproduce the issue on a second P67 board today.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:47 PM
Banned

POST ID # = 527302
Yellowbeard Reputation: 46

Oddly enough, I have a P67 Sabertooth system here that has been flawless with every drive I put into it, single Force 3 120s, RAID-0 Force 3 120s, GTs, etc.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:05 PM
Brendruis's PC Specs

POST ID # = 527356

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowbeard View Post
Oddly enough, I have a P67 Sabertooth system here that has been flawless with every drive I put into it, single Force 3 120s, RAID-0 Force 3 120s, GTs, etc.
Hmm interesting.. I read that Anand reproduced the problem on a Z68 board and then he replaced the power supply and the problem disappeared. My PSU is an HX850 and it runs great no issues, but maybe some small fluctuation in power is causing these problems?

Old 09-13-2011, 05:13 PM
Brendruis's PC Specs

POST ID # = 527360

If I have some more time this week I will test it with a different power supply and see..maybe it is some power fluctuation causes all of this with many users. In any case it seems SF-2281 is extremely sensitive to this

Old 09-13-2011, 05:16 PM

POST ID # = 527362

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendruis View Post
Hmm interesting.. I read that Anand reproduced the problem on a Z68 board and then he replaced the power supply and the problem disappeared. My PSU is an HX850 and it runs great no issues, but maybe some small fluctuation in power is causing these problems?
I agree with you it should be either the controller is not getting enough power for operation or the Sata signal dies off when the SSD is on high operation for example booting or installing things on the SSD. But what yellowbeard said interests me, he must have the best motherboard ever!. I'm also wondering if he overclocked it as it can sometimes help with BSODS and crashes.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:47 PM
Banned

POST ID # = 527424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasted View Post
I agree with you it should be either the controller is not getting enough power for operation or the Sata signal dies off when the SSD is on high operation for example booting or installing things on the SSD. But what yellowbeard said interests me, he must have the best motherboard ever!. I'm also wondering if he overclocked it as it can sometimes help with BSODS and crashes.
I've run every SSD I have here at both stock and OCed on a Sabertooth and a Z68 MIVE-Z. GTs single, GTs in RAID-0, Force 3 single, Force 3 RAID-0, etc. Both systems have AX series PSUs.

Old 09-14-2011, 04:21 AM

POST ID # = 527483

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowbeard View Post
I've run every SSD I have here at both stock and OCed on a Sabertooth and a Z68 MIVE-Z. GTs single, GTs in RAID-0, Force 3 single, Force 3 RAID-0, etc. Both systems have AX series PSUs.
I'm not sure but the PSU might also cause the issue. If possible, i would recommend you grab a few old or new PSUS and give them a go. If they do crash then it might be possible that the PSU is also a contributing factor to the SSD crashing.

Example Template
PSU| No BIOS Modifications | Short Cable : CRASH/NO CRASH
PSU| No BIOS Modifications | Long Cable : CRASH/NO CRASH
PSU| Overclock (Frequency,Core Voltage,Etc) | Short Cable : CRASH/NO CRASH
PSU| Overclock (Frequency,Core Voltage,Etc) | Long Cable : CRASH/NO CRASH
PSU| Overclock (DRAM Frequency, etc) | Long Cable : CRASH/NO CRASH
PSU| Overclock (DRAM Frequency, etc) | Short Cable : CRASH/NO CRASH
PSU| Stock, PCH | Short Cable :CRASH/NO CRASH
PSU| Stock, PCH | Long Cable :CRASH/NO CRASH
And so on...

If you understand it, you would know you would need to be extremely patient as this is a long time consuming template. But if you want to reproduce those issues, i would follow this type of template. but guess what.... thats only for the PSU, If you are also going to test the motherboard....

Last edited by Toasted; 09-14-2011 at 05:02 AM.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:10 AM
Brendruis's PC Specs

POST ID # = 527531

I'll give the cable test a run through.. I actually have a 10cm cable lol shouldn't be any issue with length there..

I actually just the other day applied an overclock and the result is no different.. same as stock if I take the PCH voltage down I get the BSOD in about one day.

If there is no difference using a 10cm cable from an 18inch cable then I'm starting to believe it is power related

The PSU requires some more time to test and I don't have the time right now lol have to work on other stuff..

This drive must be a nightmare headache for the end user lol

Old 09-15-2011, 07:19 PM

POST ID # = 527864
biatche Reputation: 10

May I ask the logic behind cables/cable length relation when BSODs occur almost in all cases when idle, rather than load?

Old 09-16-2011, 06:17 PM
Banwell's PC Specs

POST ID # = 528043
Banwell Reputation: 10

Sorry but this is the blind leading the blind. Complete hogwash.

Old 09-16-2011, 06:24 PM
Banned

POST ID # = 528045

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banwell View Post
Sorry but this is the blind leading the blind. Complete hogwash.
No, it isn't. Our internal testing how shown on some boards that you do in fact get some stabily improvements in "some" cases from adjusting this voltage. We've even shown some performance increases with it.

Please don't try to deter others from useful troubleshooting when you are uninformed.