The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cooling

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2019, 10:01 AM

POST ID # = 999799
plamen Reputation: 10
Default How to power 6 fans on ASUS Prime Z390-P?

Dear community,

I am at the very biggining of PC building, so my question may be "rookie", but I tried to find the needed information and ... here I am. So my question is:

I`m on a road to buy a Corsair CRYSTAL 460X RGB Case (the white version) and combine it with ASUS Prime Z390-P LGA1151 .

What I understand is that the box`s fans are controlled by the 6port RGB LED hub, which can be connected to the box`s buttons in order to change the color or other settings.

What I dont understand is how to power the three included SP120 RGB fans or even if I decided to add 1/2/3 more to it - how to power the whole 6 fans, because the MoBo has only 2 dedicated chassis Fan connectors.

I red about "Corsair Link Commander mini" or "Corsair Commander PRO" but what I cannot understand is will this hardware also give power to the fans or is just an advanced hub (like the one that comes in the box package).

Any help and information in order to understand how the things should be done is highly appreciated.

Old 04-01-2019, 12:19 PM
Johnny_B500's PC Specs

POST ID # = 999813
Johnny_B500 Reputation: 15

The Z390-P has 4 x configurable fan headers according to the manual (see attached). If I were you, take a look at the Corsair hardware guide linked below. It would also be beneficial if you filled in your system spec info on your profile so we could know if 2 of those fans are on an AIO cooler for example.

Zorry's Corsair Hardware Guide
http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Z390-P.jpg (121.9 KB, 19 views)

Old 04-01-2019, 12:28 PM

POST ID # = 999814
plamen Reputation: 10

Since one of the available entries is for CPU fan, only 3 are free. I want to connect 6 additional fans, I prefer the SP120 RGB fans since if decide to buy the box, will have 3 of it in it. I think that this model is not AIO.

What I dont understand is how to power the the whole - is there any type of external fan controller to which I can connect all 6 and power them over SATA for example?

Old 04-01-2019, 01:07 PM
Johnny_B500's PC Specs

POST ID # = 999819
Johnny_B500 Reputation: 15

Your best best would be to use the CoPro like in the image below. That way, the CoPro would provide power to your fans (has 6 fan headers) and also provide fan speed control via iCUE. The hub is needed to provide RGB light control. All the info you need is provided in the Hardware Guide link previously provided.

Last edited by Johnny_B500; 04-01-2019 at 01:10 PM.