The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Solid State Drives (SSD)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-16-2011, 06:31 PM
Oddballs's PC Specs

POST ID # = 528046
Oddballs Reputation: 10

the issues are with the drives not people setups. I have tried every chipset and these problems happen on all of then. And I am using a Brand new AX1200 psu with brand new cables even RMA'd and got a replacement direct from Corsair and guess what its even worse than the first one.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:41 PM
Pete the Geek's PC Specs

POST ID # = 528053
Pete the Geek Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendruis View Post
I hope my research has been helpful. Please I would appreciate comments on your thoughts and the results of your individual testing. Did adjusting PCH voltage work for you?
Would an accessory SATA controller card resolve the issue in an affected system?

Old 09-16-2011, 08:05 PM
Oddballs's PC Specs

POST ID # = 528057

The problem is the SSD its self, as so many people with different setups are all having the same problem and the RMA new one was brand new with the 1.3 firmware and that become unbootable after 2 weeks it was even worse. if go back to the c300 or the inferno ssds i have no problem or mechanical all my problems do not happen so its the drive if it wasn't I would have the same problems with the other drives.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:22 AM
Burningskies's PC Specs

POST ID # = 528105
Burningskies Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowbeard View Post
No, it isn't. Our internal testing how shown on some boards that you do in fact get some stabily improvements in "some" cases from adjusting this voltage. We've even shown some performance increases with it.

Please don't try to deter others from useful troubleshooting when you are uninformed.
How are things going with a firmware upgrade yellowbeard?
I'm asking cause that you are correct that these solutions fix some people's problems (or at least improve their experiences), BUT there are many people who still expect a permanent solution.

Old 09-17-2011, 03:17 AM
philharmonik's PC Specs

POST ID # = 528117
philharmonik Reputation: 10
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burningskies View Post
How are things going with a firmware upgrade yellowbeard?
I'm asking cause that you are correct that these solutions fix some people's problems (or at least improve their experiences), BUT there are many people who still expect a permanent solution.
I agree...the ones still having problems, even after jumping through all the troubleshooting hoops, are anxiously awaiting a PERMANENT fix. Its really a big letdown when your system runs fine 24/7 for almost a month and out of nowhere the SSD just decides to drop offline, and wont show up in BIOS until you power down completely, then start back up.

Its been 3 months since the original "recall" of these Force Series 3 drives, and only 1 FW update that really doesnt solve anything. Im really starting to doubt that we will see a new FW at all. I can understand that SOME people are having luck with 1.3 fw, but I seriously doubt the issues are completely gone. Give it time, the problems will show up again, just like it did for me. Like I said above..my SSD was working flawlessly after 1.3 FW. I left my PC on 24/7 and had no issues until tonight. So I WAS one of the lucky ones, until now. Im finished jumping through the troubleshooting hoops, hoping my SSD doesnt crap out on me. We(consumers), shouldn't have to try all these things just to get a drive to work. It should work right out of the box. Plain and simple.

If Corsair/Sandforce are still scratching their heads about this, then maybe they should just do another recall so we can all get our money back. If the companies involved can't even figure out whats wrong with their own product, then just say so and stop wasting all of our time. Its not our job to be your R&D team. I've been following these forums since the recall.Even when my system was working, just to see how things are going. And I keep seeing the same crap over and over. And don't tell me that some people are happy and the FW solved all their problems. Saying that to me is like saying...well...I guess your just SOL! THE PROBLEM IS THE FREAKIN' DRIVE! ADMIT IT!! Go back to the drawing board and fix this thing! Its a really bad *** drive......when it works! UGH..I dont even know what to say anymore...everything is just repeated over and over. Im tired of being the patient customer, holding on to dear life on this drive in hopes of a permanent fix,or new firmware. I got better things to do with my life than come on here, hoping to see a new fix for something that OBVIOUSLY shouldn't have been released in the first place.

Old 09-17-2011, 04:29 AM
Burningskies's PC Specs

POST ID # = 528124
Burningskies Reputation: 10

Ι've tried all the solutions mentioned and I indeed managed to achieve a significant drop at the BSOD's, freezes frequency. Other users are luckier than me, others aren't.

Regardless of that it is really frustrating for me to still see my system hang or/and reboot for no reason needing a cold reset to recover.

The reason that I frequently remind the need of a permanent solution here is because I have the impression (through their employees' participation here) that corsair does not work on a permanent solution. I don't see anyone talking about a working firmware fix at progress but I constantly see people from corsair proposing the same workarounds (which don't work for everybody) hoping that users will be lucky enough to see an improvement.

I will be content for now with my current system state if someone assures me that the permanent solution is in progress (updating info about the stage of these works). This doesn't happen though and as a result I don't have a clue if there is anything in progress at all.

Old 09-17-2011, 05:50 AM
Oddballs's PC Specs

POST ID # = 528135

Well said Philharmonik. And as screwing around with settings just to get a drop in BSOD's when there should be none at all this is a situation that is clearly not good enough!

Old 09-17-2011, 11:58 AM
oatmeal's PC Specs

POST ID # = 528212
oatmeal Reputation: 10

I've noticed am improvement as well with this fix. Although I only went up to 1.10 for the PCH. It was previously set to auto which was 1.05.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:06 PM
Brendruis's PC Specs

POST ID # = 528300
Brendruis Reputation: 10

Yes it's true there is improvement with this. unfortunately, my "testing period" with newegg is over and I am returning this thing. It has been fun to experiment and see the speeds and try different things.. but this thing is far too unreliable. even after PCH fix I have had BSOD and unresponsiveness..

This is the OP signing out... good luck everyone and try PCH voltage if you want to keep the drive... I hope corsair resolve this

Old 09-17-2011, 09:44 PM
Iormangund's PC Specs

POST ID # = 528304
Iormangund Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
I've noticed am improvement as well with this fix. Although I only went up to 1.10 for the PCH. It was previously set to auto which was 1.05.
You might wan't to forgo that and go the full 1.15, I went to 1.10 initially and although I got a few days more of stability, BSOD still occured. So far after another increase, no issues *fingers crossed*

Old 09-17-2011, 10:30 PM
parsec's PC Specs

POST ID # = 528309
parsec Reputation: 10

FWIW, I have the same P67 board as Yellowbeard, and use three non-Corsair SSDs with it, of two manufactures, two SATA 6Gb/s, and a SATA 3Gb/s SSD. All do not use a Sandforce controller. I've used a Corsair HX750 PS in that PC, as well as a Ss X-660. PCH voltage is Auto.

I have zero BSOD issues. Honestly, zero, and that is not bragging, just reality. The Sandforce controllers and firmware have had a long history of issues like this, unfortunately. There is an interesting article on Sandforce based SSDs on Xbitlabs web site, as well as some other interesting information regarding the NAND chips in these drives, well worth reading.

Although performing changes like tweaking the PCH voltage may seem random and without much basis, don't forget these users are rather desperate trying to get these things working. I understand, and this change is free and won't hurt anything, so why not try it. Who knew that enabling Hot Plug or disabling LPM would fix BSOD issues with other SSDs? But they do, so why not, go for it, and good luck!

Old 09-18-2011, 04:04 PM
khalme's PC Specs

POST ID # = 528492
khalme Reputation: 10

Raising the PCH voltage from 1.05V to 1.10V and 1.15V did not help me at all. I get BSOD's (usually F4) with each of the three aforementioned values. Typically it takes somewhere around 2-6 days of constant uptime before the Force GT drops and a BSOD appears. I did not notice any significant difference in stability between the different PCH voltages.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:12 PM
Emperor_Jordan's PC Specs

POST ID # = 528501
Emperor_Jordan Reputation: 10

I have to agree with what people are saying right now. The drive has a serious reliability issue. After about 3 weeks of being stable except for the odd freeze once a week it was good. Now my sysem is bricked and completely unusable thanks to this ssd. I can't boot, it won't find the drive or anything. Tested with many different ssds and even some Hdds and they work fine.

Clearly there is an inherent problem here and I hope it gets resolved. As a very busy student right now, I don't have time to spend the required 12 hours every day troubleshooting this thing. Very disapointing, it's fast when it works. Terrible when it doesn't.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:07 AM
Banwell's PC Specs

POST ID # = 528869
Banwell Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowbeard View Post
No, it isn't. Our internal testing how shown on some boards that you do in fact get some stabily improvements in "some" cases from adjusting this voltage. We've even shown some performance increases with it.

Please don't try to deter others from useful troubleshooting when you are uninformed.
A cursory check online shows maybe some relevence to B3 Cougar problem with these kinds of sympthoms/solution. Where is your source for this fix?

If you've done internal testing why is this not a stickied corsair intructions to follow? You yourself in this very post have said you dont need to do this.

I have said do something like this is irrelevant and misleading. It seems to me that doing something without proper references/source will do much more harm than trying something which has no credible source.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:42 AM

POST ID # = 528876
Toasted Toasted Reputation: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banwell View Post
A cursory check online shows maybe some relevence to B3 Cougar problem with these kinds of sympthoms/solution. Where is your source for this fix?

If you've done internal testing why is this not a stickied corsair intructions to follow? You yourself in this very post have said you dont need to do this.

I have said do something like this is irrelevant and misleading. It seems to me that doing something without proper references/source will do much more harm than trying something which has no credible source.
What he means by Internal Testing is that the Engineers over at Corsair labs has tried and tested adjusting the voltage and it has been proven to improve some kind of stability. This was then a suggestion by them. I have seen YellowBeard post it in one of the Force3 Threads.

There is currently no instruction about it because it was a suggestion and some people reported the voltage adjustment did not help improve stability and performance.

here is that thread
http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=96333

Last edited by Toasted; 09-20-2011 at 06:51 AM.