Corsair Community

GPU Block Supposed to Make Noise?

kayanite

I'm about 99% sure this noise wasn't happening before I installed the 5700 XT GPU block. It's kind of like a cricket at it's lowest and at it's "loudest", kind of sounds like a weed wacker/leaf blower being used a few houses away - yet kinda amplified? I'm not sure if this is normal, because like I've said before, this is my first custom loop. So I'm not sure if I screwed something up or what..

It doesn't make the sound at all while booting up. Only about 30s after Windows has loaded.

It's the loudest when I have any kind of illumination pattern happening with the GPU/CPU/Pump. Any mixture of 1, 2 or all 3 - doesn't matter. Also gets loud if I load up a game with even the lights off.

Kinda revs up a little and pongs back and forth while watching Netflix.

Stays at the quiet level if just browsing and/or having the lights on a static color.

So definitely seems like it's related to the GPU. CPU appears to be running at about same temperatures idle and GPU is definitely running cooler than with the blowers, so I know it's getting cooled. The little wheel inside doesn't seem to be spinning except for when the PC is booting up. It stops spinning shortly before it starts making the noise after Windows boots up. Liquid definitely appears to be moving through it and the rest of the system though.

I didn't hear this noise before I got my 5700 XT and had my old 1070 in there. I believe I had the 1070 in there for a brief period between setting up the water loop and getting the 5700 XT - could be wrong. Either way though, I'm fairly certain it wasn't making the noise prior to this afternoon when I hooked up the GPU block because that first night I had it running after my water leak test, I still had my head in there a lot to make sure stuff was working alright and pretty sure I would have heard this over the 5700 XT in the low settings with my head inside the case.

Sorry for all the questions, know I'll probably get told something along the lines of that's what the forums are for. Just feel dumb and really paranoid that I screwed something up. :eek:

EDIT: Google seems to indicate maybe coil whine? Could that be what I'm experiencing here? Or could something be messed up since it seems to activate if I turn the lights on and/or because the little wheel inside isn't spinning?

Edited by kayanite

I just installed my 5700xt waterblock last night and I'm getting that as well. Pretty sure it's coil whine cause I only noticed it at high load on the gpu. I'm going to mess around with it after work to try to stop it, cause it's raters annoying. Performance of the block seems very good though, temperature is definitely lower.

I just installed my 5700xt waterblock last night and I'm getting that as well. Pretty sure it's coil whine cause I only noticed it at high load on the gpu. I'm going to mess around with it after work to try to stop it, cause it's raters annoying. Performance of the block seems very good though, temperature is definitely lower.

Well, glad I'm not the only one, but sucks that you are too!

And yeah, I almost would prefer the sound of the blower. Even after reading into it and finding it's "common" on higher end cards (I never experienced it until now, so not sure how it's "common") and even on the 5700 XTs and just the blower...still worry that the sound is bad and going to ignite or something.

Saw a YT video of a blower making it and pretty sure after hearing it with the blower and this now, mine wasn't making it before I did this. Gonna have to look into it later and see and will be sure to post back if I find a fix. Hope you do the same! And thanks for posting that you're experiencing it too! Between that and that YT video, I'm a little less concerned. And already kinda learning how to tune it out.

Edited by kayanite

Unfortunately this can be a common experience when switching to full water cooling. Obviously it is the GPU circuit board and not the block making the noise, but now without those lovely GPU fans to make their own noise, you hear the stuff underneath.

Sadly that's the case, yes.

Also, once the card is warmed up (e.g. during gaming session) the coil whine will subside.

Coil whine is actually mechanical vibration of the coil inside the housing. Besides current flow inducing vibration at high VRM frequency there's also the way these are designed. The manufacturer needs to account for different thermal expansion properties of the inductor coil parts (housing, coil, etc) to prevent premature fatigue of the material. This is why these coil are normally a bit loose. Once they're heated up to the operating temperature (as they absorb heat from PCBA) the gap will get smaller.

• 5 months later...