Corsair Community

Corsair AX1200i dead after 2 days of use

Pyro55555

hi guys, i built my new pc on tuesday (11/08/20) and everything was working fine. when i went to turn my pc on on friday (14/08/20) nothing happened. the psu maked a clicking sound when powered on and then nothing happens other than the rgb lights connected via the motherboard turn on. the system works fine with my old thermaltake psu after testing that.

I have performed the self test with all cables disconnected and the PSU makes the same clicking noise and nothing happens, fan does not spin, and the LED does not turn on.

MuNF9yw.jpg

i tried the PSU in my old system to confirm it wasnt my new system. connecting it to an Asus SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK S motherboard i also could not power the system on. however it did light up the Standby Power LED on that board. i assume both boards are getting some kind of power as the RGB headers are powered on the new and this light is active on the old system.

oovKtXs.jpg

does anyone know if there is any issue that would cause this? is there any specific testing i can try to better diagnose this? or should i return it on warranty.

Edited by Pyro55555

• Corsair Employee

The RGB on the first motherboard and the standby LED on the second motherboard light up because all ATX PSUs have a separate always on +5V standby rail.

If the PSU doesn't work even with just the 24-pin installed, pressing the test button, then the PSU is dead and you need to contact Corsair for an RMA.

Ok, thanks for the infirmation. Its the first time i will have to RMA sonething. So i wanted to make sure that it was dead. Do i contact corsair directly or the supplier i bought it from as they have a returns for warranty on their website also.

• Corsair Employee
Ok, thanks for the infirmation. Its the first time i will have to RMA sonething. So i wanted to make sure that it was dead. Do i contact corsair directly or the supplier i bought it from as they have a returns for warranty on their website also.

Whatever is easier. You said you just got it two days ago, so I imagine just take it back to whoever you bought it from.

Curious... What country are you in and what's the first four digits of your serial number (that's the manufacture date)?

Im in australia. I bought it online so the retailer is interstate so it isnt that much easier. Serial number is 1911958001004360121 im guessing that means it was manufactured in 2011. I must have gotten really old stock then Edited by Pyro55555

• Corsair Employee
Im in australia. I bought it online so the retailer is interstate so it isnt that much easier. Serial number is 1911958001004360121 im guessing that means it was manufactured in 2011. I must have gotten really old stock then

Oh. You didn't buy it from a dealer in Australia? Well, if you RMA with Corsair, it'll need to ship to Taiwan.

And 1911 is not old. That means 11th week of 2019.

But that's what I was trying to figure out. If the PSU had been sitting in someone's hot warehouse for a long time or something.

• Corsair Employee
i did buy it from a dealer in australia but they are based in a different state so its not like i can just drive down to the store

Oh.... Ok. I wasn't sure what you meant. Well.. inside Oz is still better than Taiwan. *shrug*

Hi all, jumping in here with an experiment if you are keen. I have a RM1000. Much older model, but I can see similar issues. Try disconnecting the pcmb and all other components to the PSU. Then jump the PSU under no load, but obviously connected to AC (pin 3-4). Reconnect pcmb and 8-pin (and whatever is needed for post). Ten bucks says you gonna hear a click on jump and then it will have power thru-put. This is the case with mine, it will then work fine until power is reset/lost. On shutdown the same click is heard, seems to be some sort of protection circuit. You will then have to "jump start" it again.

i wont be able to test that unfortunatly as i RMA'd it a few hours ago. thanks for the advice anyway! hopefully it will get sorted quickly and i wont have to wait weeks. i got the pc powered by my old Thermaltake 750 evo atm, doesnt have enough connections for verything so i got a few HDDs powered down. iv had to move the 1000D soo many times this week building the pc that i dont think i need to go to the gym for the rest of the year.