Corsair Community

Corsair Commander Pro Shorted

Hello, It's my first post and I need your help.

One of my fans was not spinning so I decided to check the voltage.

Unluckly I shorted the GND and 5 V (probably) The voltmeter showed 12V on this line, and it cracked for a milisecond. It was on the 5th PWM fan pin. And all went dead, the fans stopped spinning, ICUE connection lost, then nothing really happen.

Anybody knows what could have happened? Any scheme ? Is my commander pro dead?

Wish You Best

Darkus

the PWM header is Ground / +12v / speed readout / PWM control

So you probably shorted the 12V to ground. probably blew a fuse somewhere in the commander..

Thats what I thought but I cant find any fuse, any body better in electronics might help I mean some Scheme about the device or what I need to replace.

often they don't blow in pieces, they will look normal.

It should be a small SMD fuse anyway.

If you look at the post from treck87 where he repaired his Commander Pro, there's a few photos of the PCB. The fuses should be close to the SATA cables so they look to be the components labelled F2, F4 etc..

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=174721&page=3

You could test them see if you have continuity.

(Keep in mind there's no schematic around obviously, it's not a public design, and we don't know what the current rating is for these fuses. Also there may be more than fuses that let the magic smoke escape.

If you are not too confident in troubleshooting the card or soldering that size components, i wouldn't recommend you do it yourself. There's a real risk to fry other components if you test the repair on your PC and accidentally shorted something.

Better lose a 75$ controller than a 200$ motherboard trying to repair it ^^'

TL:DR try it at your own risk)

often they don't blow in pieces, they will look normal.

It should be a small SMD fuse anyway.

If you look at the post from treck87 where he repaired his Commander Pro, there's a few photos of the PCB. The fuses should be close to the SATA cables so they look to be the components labelled F2, F4 etc..

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=174721&page=3

You could test them see if you have continuity.

(Keep in mind there's no schematic around obviously, it's not a public design, and we don't know what the current rating is for these fuses. Also there may be more than fuses that let the magic smoke escape.

If you are not too confident in troubleshooting the card or soldering that size components, i wouldn't recommend you do it yourself. There's a real risk to fry other components if you test the repair on your PC and accidentally shorted something.

Better lose a 75$ controller than a 200$ motherboard trying to repair it ^^'

TL:DR try it at your own risk)

Thanks a lot, checked all fuses from F2 to F6 and they have continuity. But i cant find the F1 .

• 8 months later...