Corsair Community

PSA: HWinfo64 crashes commander pro/iCue

Mussels

Finally found out why my fan speeds have been weird as well as my older AIO running off my CoPro - as soon as HWinfo64 is opened **Even if you select the option to ignore corsair sensors** the commander pro crashes.

The fan control and sensor readings break on the Commander pro - the performance tab disappears and the voltage/temp/RPM sensors vanish.

Edit for clarity: *THIS PERSISTS BETWEEN REBOOTS*

To reproduce:

1. Have a commander pro, open iCue on CoPro tab

2. Open HWinfo64

3. 'Performance' tab vanishes, CoPro freezes locking fan speeds where they are (not fun if you have a zero RPM at idle like i do)

4. CoPro does NOT come back online without a full power down of the system - even a restart doesn't recover it. I have to remove the power cord for 5s after shutdown.

This may be why some people are seeing items disappearing from iCue - external programs are freezing some parts of the background processes

Screenshot of CoPro in Icue 3.18.77, note the lack of perfomance tab and the weird voltage/temp readings

p1kalmig2k224.jpg

After a reboot AND reset of corsair service:

p1kalmig2k200.jpg

Edited by Mussels

To make it clear: the corsair integration WAS DISABLED in hwinfo

The problem here is that the crashed out hardware persists beyond reboots, which can explain why a lot of users here have missing performance tabs and outright vanishing hardware

This isn’t a new thing and has been going on since the 4.9 versions of Link. The best advice is not to run multiple monitoring programs. There is always going to be overlap and the reason for CUE and other program interactions is discussed at heat length in many other threads. If you need to run AIDA, kill the iCUE application and services before launching.

The problem is the Corsair Commander Pro and your Corsair AIO cooler are listed separately in HWInfo now. I don't remember this being the case before, but my build has been down for quite some time getting it rebuilt (several months - I know, I'm lazy). After getting everything set back up and updated, I ran into exactly the same issue. Thinking it was a problem with the Commander Pro, I tried force updating the firmware, which would fix it until HWInfo was opened again. Really drove me nuts at first. I knew I had Corsair disabled in HWInfo, but when I went to look again and double check, the cooler (H150i Pro, think it's called Corsair CLC) was still disabled but the Commander Pro was not. I don't remember the Commander Pro showing up in HWInfo before, but it sure is now. Right click on the Commander Pro in HWInfo (can't remember the specific name, but it was right above the Corsair CLC and had sensors for fan speeds, voltages, etc) and disable monitoring. Reboot the computer, and now you should be able to open both iCUE and HWInfo without the Commander Pro going all wonky.

Alternatively, you could just leave the AIO and Commander Pro enabled in HWInfo, close HWInfo, get everything set up in iCUE, which saves it to the hardware (make sure to edit the hardware profiles for lighting if you want that too), then close iCUE and just use HWInfo for monitoring, which would also allow you to import the sensors from HWInfo into MSI Afterburner/Rivatuner so you can monitor the sensors in game if you like.

I'm at work now, but when I get home, I'll see if I can get you a screenshot of what I'm talking about if you haven't already fixed it by then.

*EDITED FOR SUPER OCD CONDITION*

Edited by c00lkatz

• 8 months later...
Alternatively, you could just leave the AIO and Commander Pro enabled in HWInfo, close HWInfo, get everything set up in iCUE, which saves it to the hardware (make sure to edit the hardware profiles for lighting if you want that too), then close iCUE and just use HWInfo for monitoring, which would also allow you to import the sensors from HWInfo into MSI Afterburner/Rivatuner so you can monitor the sensors in game if you like.

I'm at work now, but when I get home, I'll see if I can get you a screenshot of what I'm talking about if you haven't already fixed it by then.

*EDITED FOR SUPER OCD CONDITION*

Sorry to wake this thread up.

I know that iCue is mandatory if the Commander Pro fan speeds have to be controlled based on CPU temperature.

What if fan speeds have to be controlled by Commander Pro temperature sensors?

How about setting up the fan speed curve based on Commander Pro temperature sensors and then shutting down the iCue services. Then will that allow the fan speed to be automatically handled by Commander Pro hardware while HWiNFO show the fan speeds?

I'm still contemplating to buy the Commander Pro or not because of this one issue with iCue conficting with other hardware monitoring utilities.

I know that iCue is mandatory if the Commander Pro fan speeds have to be controlled based on CPU temperature.

How about setting up the fan speed curve based on Commander Pro temperature sensors and then shutting down the iCue services. Then will that allow the fan speed to be automatically handled by Commander Pro hardware while HWiNFO show the fan speeds?

I'm still contemplating to buy the Commander Pro or not because of this one issue with iCue conficting with other hardware monitoring utilities.

Look, i love my CoPro - but this issue hasn't been resolved yet. Ignored and swept under the rug by corsair support directly and via this forum, and yet it still reliably crashes out.

Since the CP gets its readings via the service or process that crashes, it remains at a fixed static fan speed until you manually restart it all - it cant read sensors or change fan RPM.

HWinfo is the only software that does this crash, i've been totally fine with every other monitoring program out there... pity HWinfo is one of the best

The Commander will continue to run its fans from its native temp sensors with or without the software running. So if you prefer to use AIDA, HWiNFO, whatever, you just need to not run iCUE in background. The Commander is very easy to set up for this. Most other Corsair devices also have hardware settings you can save to use when the software is not running. Some users are able to successfully use both programs by disabling the monitoring of all Corsair devices in HWiNFO. However, I don't see a lot of reason to run two simultaneously. If you need the more detailed monitoring info, use the other program and don't run iCUE at the same time.

The Commander will continue to run its fans from its native temp sensors with or without the software running. So if you prefer to use AIDA, HWiNFO, whatever, you just need to not run iCUE in background. The Commander is very easy to set up for this. Most other Corsair devices also have hardware settings you can save to use when the software is not running. Some users are able to successfully use both programs by disabling the monitoring of all Corsair devices in HWiNFO. However, I don't see a lot of reason to run two simultaneously. If you need the more detailed monitoring info, use the other program and don't run iCUE at the same time.

Thank you very much. Glad to hear that the temperature sensor based fan curve can be stored in commander pro for autonomous fan speed handling.

This isn’t a new thing and has been going on since the 4.9 versions of Link. The best advice is not to run multiple monitoring programs. There is always going to be overlap and the reason for CUE and other program interactions is discussed at heat length in many other threads. If you need to run AIDA, kill the iCUE application and services before launching.

That's nto a solution, that's a poor workaround. I can't use a custom fan curve on my H80i V2, as it seems to be reliant on software. Also, I have RGB set to do things based on temps, that can't seem to be applied in HW. Also, the patterns running my LED strip can' be applied in HW.

I also use a custom fan curve on my GPU using Afterburner, as well as an overclock.

Here I need to run both iCue and Afterburner. iCue barely seems to work properly regardless of running Afterburner or not, though, since monitoring breaks every half hour or so regardless.

Edited by hearnia_2k

That's nto a solution, that's a poor workaround. I can't use a custom fan curve on my H80i V2, as it seems to be reliant on software. Also, I have RGB set to do things based on temps, that can't seem to be applied in HW. Also, the patterns running my LED strip can' be applied in HW.

I also use a custom fan curve on my GPU using Afterburner, as well as an overclock.

Here I need to run both iCue and Afterburner. iCue barely seems to work properly regardless of running Afterburner or not, though, since monitoring breaks every half hour or so regardless.

I am not responsible for re-writing the software or changing the way the world works. The thread is about how to keep the software programs from crashing, giving back garbage values, or losing control. As stated, the best advice is not to run them at same time if you don't need to. If you do, exclude Corsair hardware from the monitoring so they aren't polling the same device over and over. No one said anything about Afterburner. We are all using that.

I am not responsible for re-writing the software or changing the way the world works. The thread is about how to keep the software programs from crashing, giving back garbage values, or losing control. As stated, the best advice is not to run them at same time if you don't need to. If you do, exclude Corsair hardware from the monitoring so they aren't polling the same device over and over. No one said anything about Afterburner. We are all using that.

excluding the corsair hardware from HWinfo doesnt work for the commander pro, it still crashes and remains crashed until you restart the service.

That worked/works for some of the AIO's, but not the copro

I also have zero issues with afterburner

For the Commander, make sure you exclude all of its data. That includes fans, voltage, and temp sensors. The other problem could be that any interaction between the programs will lock up another part -- it's not device specific. So reading the H115i kills the Commander. When you load a fresh install of HWiNFO, it should give you a warning about Corsair (and Asus) conflict problems. Choosing to ignore it should get them all. Otherwise you'll have to manually exclude each Corsair section.

For the Commander, make sure you exclude all of its data. That includes fans, voltage, and temp sensors. The other problem could be that any interaction between the programs will lock up another part -- it's not device specific. So reading the H115i kills the Commander. When you load a fresh install of HWiNFO, it should give you a warning about Corsair (and Asus) conflict problems. Choosing to ignore it should get them all. Otherwise you'll have to manually exclude each Corsair section.

This is what i got told every single time this was brought up, and it doesnt work. The automatic exclusion fails, and manually excluding them changes nothing either.

Maybe it doesn't break for everyone, but i've had it go bad on a few systems before giving up on the two working for me.

I wish this was true for me, i have the same issue however i don't have HWinfo64 running in the background and my CoPro still dies every so often.... I am currently stuck with corsair support :( .

@c-attack - do i need to uninstall it?, im wondering if there are other services from HWInfo64 thats still running.

My loop had a leak because the fans didn't spin up whilst i was gaming, luckily i caught on when i randomly checked my case! :eek::eek::eek:

Are you using the “standard” version of HWiNFO? You need to use the “portable” version that retracts its driver when you exit. That might explain why this is being problematic. They should be side by side on the download page.

I wish this was true for me, i have the same issue however i don't have HWinfo64 running in the background and my CoPro still dies every so often.... I am currently stuck with corsair support :( .

@c-attack - do i need to uninstall it?, im wondering if there are other services from HWInfo64 thats still running.

My loop had a leak because the fans didn't spin up whilst i was gaming, luckily i caught on when i randomly checked my case! :eek::eek::eek:

And ... let's be clear. This isn't Corsair's issue. It's HWInfo's. They - for some reason - insist on accessing the Corsair hardware knowing that the devices only support single access. Now, they reverse engineered that interface because it's not documented (for a reason). So ... in other words ... they really shouldn't be doing it. And it certainly shouldn't be the default behavior and require you to opt-out. It's rude, at best.

Disabling "Corsair Link/Asetek" support and using the portable version of HWInfo (without loading the driver) does work. I use HWInfo all the time without issue. But you must jump through the hoops due to HWInfo knowingly causing the issue. Because they do know about this and refuse to change it.

My point about afterburner was just that very often the response when people talk about this tool or that tool for monitoring temps/fans, etc, is that Corsair officially say you can't use any other monitoring software while running iCue, which is utter nonsense - if they mentioned that on packaging, and pre-sales I bet a lot of people would choose alternatives.

For what it's worth, I've never had a problem using HWinfo, but I only have an H80iV2, and Lighting Node Pro. I also have an M65 mouse I use on rare occassions.

For what it's worth, I've never had a problem using HWinfo, but I only have an H80iV2, and Lighting Node Pro. I also have an M65 mouse I use on rare occassions.

You'll get conflicts with the H80iV2 as well ... just not as frequently as iCUE doesn't access the cooler as often.

The coolers with the dynamic lighting are a bigger issue as iCUE is constantly accessing the cooler. It's when both apps try to access the device at the same time that things fail.

And ... let's be clear. This isn't Corsair's issue. It's HWInfo's. They - for some reason - insist on accessing the Corsair hardware knowing that the devices only support single access. Now, they reverse engineered that interface because it's not documented (for a reason). So ... in other words ... they really shouldn't be doing it. And it certainly shouldn't be the default behavior and require you to opt-out. It's rude, at best.

Disabling "Corsair Link/Asetek" support and using the portable version of HWInfo (without loading the driver) does work. I use HWInfo all the time without issue. But you must jump through the hoops due to HWInfo knowingly causing the issue. Because they do know about this and refuse to change it.

Thanks for the reply, I've uninstalled HWinfo64 completely and my iCUE is still crashing, Corsair support has told me to uninstall all CPU-Z/GPU-Z/HWinfo64/Core Temp etc but so far the crashes are still happening :confused::confused:

I wish i don't have to worry about this lol

I've got the logs that seem to show errors just before the crash, but support has ignored these....Dev Biker do you know who i can contact?

Cheers for your time!

My issue has finally been resolved with the latest iCue and HWinfo64, unsure of exactly what worked but when updating i tested on another system and followed these steps succesfully

Latest installed or portable HWinfo, iCue 3.28.70/75

Open HWinfo settings BEFORE opening the sensors, under safety make sure the corsair/asetek button is unticked

b7fzp5tm1q.jpg

Uninstall Icue, reboot system, install new iCue, reboot.

From then on things have worked for me, something about the way these two interact must corrupt something, somewhere and leave it corrupt... i've had it happen on two systems with various clean win10 installs, so something must have a chance of corrupting with these two softwares running and remaning despite updates to the software.

Look: i have voltage and RPM readings in the CoPro! Woo!

dss92c31ap523.jpg

Edited by Mussels

My issue has finally been resolved with the latest iCue and HWinfo64, unsure of exactly what worked but when updating i tested on another system and followed these steps succesfully

Latest installed or portable HWinfo, iCue 3.28.70/75

Open HWinfo settings BEFORE opening the sensors, under safety make sure the corsair/asetek button is unticked

b7fzp5tm1q.jpg

Uninstall Icue, reboot system, install new iCue, reboot.

From then on things have worked for me, something about the way these two interact must corrupt something, somewhere and leave it corrupt... i've had it happen on two systems with various clean win10 installs, so something must have a chance of corrupting with these two softwares running and remaning despite updates to the software.

Look: i have voltage and RPM readings in the CoPro! Woo!

dss92c31ap523.jpg

congrats man, ill give this a shot, so far my crashes are still constant zzz