Corsair Community

black screen with gpu water block

Nissehult

i have custom water cooling and everything works fine except my gpu, i have checked every cable and opened the block 2-3 times to see what is the problem and everything looks fine still i getting no connection to my screens, first i started up my pc after the gpu block was installed i got 90-95c so something is very wrong, the gpu is a asus geforce rtx 2080 strix.

gpu block is Hydro X XG7 2080 strix.

the loop is reservoir > gpu > cpu > radiator > radiator > reservoir

i have no bubbles in gpu or cpu block, thermal paste and pads is correct

any tips or help should be great

Edited by Nissehult

• Corsair Employee

Hi!

Can you please share a few pictures of your whole system and a few detailed pictures of the GPU with installed XG7 water block so we can check.

How is the flow status, can you confirm that the flow indicator in the XG7 water block is spinning?

https://imgur.com/a/jIeM97b pictures

the flow indicator is spinning but i need a new commander pro beacuse the port for reservoir on commander port have stop working didnt show up on ICUE and the commander pro got a short circuit so i need to change it and the flow status is great until commander pro died

and i did f*cked up the screws on the backside plate so a few of them are rounded beacuse i had opened the block 2-3 times

Make sure you use a proper fitting screw driver as that will reduce the chances of rounding out the screws. When you removed the block was the paste covering the whole die and did the thermal pads have indents from the memory and mosfets? Does clamping block and rear mounting screw location nearest die with fingers reduce temps at all?

https://imgur.com/a/jIeM97b pictures

the flow indicator is spinning but i need a new commander pro beacuse the port for reservoir on commander port have stop working didnt show up on ICUE and the commander pro got a short circuit so i need to change it and the flow status is great until commander pro died

and i did f*cked up the screws on the backside plate so a few of them are rounded beacuse i had opened the block 2-3 times

Try setting the port for the reservoir to 4-pin/PWM rather than "Auto" (the default).

Make sure you use a proper fitting screw driver as that will reduce the chances of rounding out the screws. When you removed the block was the paste covering the whole die and did the thermal pads have indents from the memory and mosfets? Does clamping block and rear mounting screw location nearest die with fingers reduce temps at all?

ye the paste was covering the gpu and the thermal pads was at place, i saw marks in the pads.

i dont know, i mounted the block as it should be.

Try setting the port for the reservoir to 4-pin/PWM rather than "Auto" (the default).

i changed it to 4pin and the temperature didnt go down.

when i started wow i had the lowest settings the temperature was getting from 40-95 on 10sec.

fgdfg.thumb.png.823eaa6e2cf2363d17b1cbfdecf895c8.png

i changed it to 4pin and the temperature didnt go down.

when i started wow i had the lowest settings the temperature was getting from 40-95 on 10sec.

Did you have any temp issues before you installed the block?

My clamping suggestion was to see if the temps drop if block is not making full contact with the die.

Did you have any temp issues before you installed the block?

My clamping suggestion was to see if the temps drop if block is not making full contact with the die.

before i had water cooling on cpu and it worked fine was between 28-35c and the gpu had original air cooling and it was on 50-60c

now i cant see it beacuse i cant open the block beacuse of rounded screws

• Corsair Employee

Thank you for the pictures.

We can conclude that the cooling system works (apart from the issue with Commander PRO) so we can focus on GPU water block.

When you checked for the imprint of thermal compound and thermal pads. Was there a nice even layer of thermal compound on the whole GPU?

According to the images, fit of the block doesn't look perfect.

I would suggest to try and remove the GPU water block. You might be able to unscrew the rounded screws with sharp philips head screwdriver.

Then take a few pictures of the graphics card (focus on GPU and memory ICs) and bottom side of the GPU water block and send them to our support so they can make a thorough check and advise on further actions. They will also be able to provide replacement screws.

Please PM me your ticket number and I'll update the ticket with pictures you already provided.

• Corsair Employee

M3 screw extractor should work with screw head used with our XG7 water blocks.

Head of the screw is already destroyed. Once removed please dispose of destroyed screws. Our tech support will be able to provide a set of replacement screws.

• Corsair Employee

Ohh, unfortunate!

Make sure to apply a new layer of thermal compound and use new screws. If you will not be able to purchase new screws somewhere local give us a ping at your support ticket. We will be able to help you out.

You will need M2.5x5mm screws.