Corsair Community

AF II mod

coltonneil

OK So I wanted the Airflow II(red version) but apparently it isn't sold unless its part of a kit, this is a problem because I have Dominator Platinum RAM which does not come bundled. To fix this problem I bought the blue version and then I....wait for it.....peeled off the stickers :) So now I have a bare Airflow II with no red or blue and It looks "ok" but I had an idea to paint some of it red to fit the color scheme of my system better. I only have one problem, I have never modded so I am not sure how best to do this. So I am posting in the hopes that someone here can either give me advice or point me in the right direction to get it. Ok so I want to paint the fans (just the fan blades not the entire enclosure) red as well as the channel that runs along the side of the AF II. I have three pictures the first is the AF II disassembled the second two are what I want to do, keep in mind I did the second two in paint in like 3 minutes and I am not a professional picture editor so go easy on me.

2012-07-02_15-19-54_751.thumb.jpg.82725a2b5d8379536caa878560f7eff3.jpg

1349455384_Redchannel.thumb.jpg.ee67c776f58515517d6457a13bee0e5c.jpg

814134600_RedFans.thumb.jpg.7efb7bc64832d46cee2024fd20925b24.jpg

Any help would be appreciated, how to paint them, how to make it look professional, how not to do it, how to make sure the paint doesn't jack up the fans, or if its not even possible just let me know. Thanks everyone

• Corsair Employee

You might try something like this to trace the outline you want to paint, just takes a steady hand with an exact o knife.

Kustom Shop Self-Adhesive Tracing / Masking Film

Basically take an image if the Logo or what you want to paint and cut out the temple and stick on the side of the cooler to mask it off then paint it.

It is not as easy as it sounds but with a little time and Patience you can get pretty creative and maybe even come up with some one of a kind logos

Awesome thanks I think your response was in record time.So just get a stencil basically and cut it out with an exact o knife lay it on an paint it. Would you recommend spray paint or paint brush? also any idea on the fans

• Corsair Employee

Well you can use either one, but just some food for thought.

Model car paint is not that much different than like Nail polish and comes in a bunch of exotic colors so its really what you want to get but remember preparing the surface you want to paint will be key to the paint sticking properly. Invest in some MEK Paint thinner available at most Hobie stores and be careful when using it because it is extremely flammable and will make you goofy in an UN-ventilated room. However Most Auto Parts stores have a decent selection of good quality spray on paint that will work but its really up to you. If you spray it on you will likely get a smoother finish. But you can get more creative with a Brush if you have an Artist trapped inside; ;-)

Lol I don't think there's an artist in there I checked, ok so I will do some Googleing and find out how to prep the surface so the paint lays evenly and sticks. The thing that I am having the most problems with it how to get the fan blades out of the enclosure without damaging them and then being able to put them back on once they are painted, any ideas?

Archived