Corsair Community

LL120 + commander pro pwm or dc

Marris09

Hi guys, new to the forum have just moved to pc from console so this maybe a noob question, i have 3 LL120 front fans 1 rear and 2 with h100i all plugged in commander pro, paired with msi z390 in the bios do the fans need to be set at pwm,dc or auto?currently its dc.also in icue which sensors should i be using for the fans and h100i? Thanks guys

If the fans are connected to a Commander Pro, the BIOS settings aren't relevant. But the CoPro should be set to 4-pin - they are PWM fans.

The AIO's fan curves should be set to use the coolant temp. For a discussion of his, see the AIO FAQ linked in my signature.

The CoPro fan curves should, ideally, use one of the temp sensors included in the CoPro. This should be in the warmest part of the case, typically above the GPU.

If the fans are connected to a Commander Pro, the BIOS settings aren't relevant. But the CoPro should be set to 4-pin - they are PWM fans.

The AIO's fan curves should be set to use the coolant temp. For a discussion of his, see the AIO FAQ linked in my signature.

The CoPro fan curves should, ideally, use one of the temp sensors included in the CoPro. This should be in the warmest part of the case, typically above the GPU.

Thankyou so much,so setting it to pwm does smart fan mode need to be enabled?

If all of your fans are on the Commander Pro or the H100i's fan controller, then none of the BIOS settings matter. Those fans will all be controlled in iCUE and the motherboard will not affect them. Totally separate system.

**The one exception is if your "H100i" is a H100i GTX or v2. That specific cooler uses the motherboard for a power on the fan connector. The specific header for the cooler needs to be set at 100%, "disabled", or whatever language MSI uses for a constant 12v. If you have the H100i Pro, H100i Platinum, or any other cooler with a SATA power connection, this does not apply and that connection to the motherboard only reports a pump speed and handles the CPU fan/boot error requirement.

It is usually better to connect the radiator fans directly to the pump's controller. If the software freezes, USB is disconnected, it won't matter and the fans will still do their job from the internal sensor. If you move them to the Commander Pro, that same data has to be passed from cooler to the MB to the Commander Pro. That requires the software be active. You can work around this with a temp sensor taped to the back of the radiator to approximate coolant temp, but that is a fair amount of effort for no gain.