Corsair Community

Commander Pro or Motherboard's Connectors

Infiltrator

I have a H150i Pro, an Obsidian 500D SE case that or course comes with the Commander Pro and RGB lighting hub. I've connected the 3 LL140 RGB to the H150i Pro's fan headers, and the same fans RGB connectors to the RGB lighting hub. My question is: should I connector the other 3 exhaust fans and the thermal sensors to the Commander Pro or connect them to the motherboard? As I understand it iCue can detect the motherboard's fan and temp sensors, so what's the advantages/disadvantages of plugging in the thermal sensors and exhaust fans to the Commander Pro? Does it just make cable management more tidier?

Is that 3 LL120s on the H150i? The 140mm fans would look funny hanging off the sides of the radiator, but otherwise it would be the same set-up.

You should connect your other fans to the Commander Pro fan headers. You need to run iCUE for the cooler and for lighting. No reason to dump fan control off to the BIOS and then you cannot access it from the desktop. iCUE will allow you to make adjustments as you go. Also, if you are trying to balance the fans, you have a lots more control variable choices in the Commander Pro menu than your BIOS.

There is no disadvantage to plugging in the 10K thermistors to the C-Pro. You can use them for data collections curiosity or as a very efficient means of control. You can use a sensor as an exhaust air temp reading to get an exact value and/or you might also run one to the exhaust side of the H150i. That will mimic coolant temperature from the H150i (aka H150i Temp). The real value in the sensor is they are native to the Commander Pro's internal firmware and thus work for control even when not running iCUE. That includes boot and restart phases. So while you could set your fans to a curve based on GPU temp, when the software is not running, they will max out. With a temp probe as the sensor source, the fans will follow directions at all times. Obviously the air temp range for the rear exhaust is going to be different than the operating range of the GPU diode sensor we normally associate with GPU temp. You will have to figure that part out, but it is probably worth the effort.

Is that 3 LL120s on the H150i? The 140mm fans would look funny hanging off the sides of the radiator, but otherwise it would be the same set-up.

You should connect your other fans to the Commander Pro fan headers. You need to run iCUE for the cooler and for lighting. No reason to dump fan control off to the BIOS and then you cannot access it from the desktop. iCUE will allow you to make adjustments as you go. Also, if you are trying to balance the fans, you have a lots more control variable choices in the Commander Pro menu than your BIOS.

There is no disadvantage to plugging in the 10K thermistors to the C-Pro. You can use them for data collections curiosity or as a very efficient means of control. You can use a sensor as an exhaust air temp reading to get an exact value and/or you might also run one to the exhaust side of the H150i. That will mimic coolant temperature from the H150i (aka H150i Temp). The real value in the sensor is they are native to the Commander Pro's internal firmware and thus work for control even when not running iCUE. That includes boot and restart phases. So while you could set your fans to a curve based on GPU temp, when the software is not running, they will max out. With a temp probe as the sensor source, the fans will follow directions at all times. Obviously the air temp range for the rear exhaust is going to be different than the operating range of the GPU diode sensor we normally associate with GPU temp. You will have to figure that part out, but it is probably worth the effort.

Yes, I meant LL120 RGB. Thank you for the reply and explanation. I've had the fan an temp sensors plugged into the board for 6 months now, but having read your reply I'll definitely plug them into the Commander Pro now. What's made me rethink the configuration is I'm having to replace one of the LL120 RGB fans as it stopped spinning. I raised an RMA today so hopefully Corsair will send my out a replacement. That was one of the radiator fans that was connected to the H150i Pro. In all the time I've owned PCs I've never had a fan die on me before. Maybe I've just been lucky up to now.

Hmm... motor or bearing failure is not common for any of RGB fans. Lighting issues are more common, but hopefully that is the end of your bad luck. Any 10K thermistor should work on Commander Pro so the wires running to the MB case used or pull another one from the box.

The temp probe will appear in the iCUE sensor drop down menu as Commander Pro Temp (#1-4). It will also pop-up on the C-Pro device page and the dashboard.

My only issue is the H150i fans that I swapped out for the LL120 RGBs have short cables so they won't reach the Commander Pro. I'll either have to swap then for some LL120s or use some extension cables. I'm not too fussed out RGB at the top and rear exhausts because the tower's shelved in an office cabinet.