Corsair Community

I wish Corsair would make cases with more premium materials

oRAirwolf

Disclaimer: My desktop is housed in a 750D w/ a high airflow panel and my NAS is housed in a C70 Vengeance. I like Corsair cases.

Back in 2007 I purchased a Zalman GT1000 case. The entire exterior of the case was made of 4-5mm thick machined aluminum panels. The panels were all solid and had a heft to them. All of the fasteners holding the case together were socket cap hex head screws. It weighed a lot and it was 100% premium. It was $500 and worth every last penny. I would still use it, but it doesn't have USB 3.0 ports, no radiator mounts, uses 92mm fans, and doesn't support long graphics cards. Zalman never released an updated version and just makes a bunch of plastic monstrosities now.

Ever since then, I have been disappointed with the build quality of cases. Die punched and bent steel just feels flimsy. Molded plastic front bezels are chintzy. Plastic sticker veneers peel off and catch lint. On my 750D, I had the plastic sticker veneer surrounding the 750D's front IO ports peel off when removing a USB drive. When I wipe off the front of the case with a microfiber towel, pieces of lint get caught by the edges and the veneer stickers. I do really like the full metal front bezel of the C70, but I prefer a full tower for my desktop, so I use the 750D. The C70 also just feels flimsy when you take off the side panels. I love the army green color, the cool buttons, and the carry handles. It's just not big enough for me.

What I really yearn for is a case that is built like the Zalman GT1000 with thick machined aluminum panels, but in a full tower and updated with the latest design philosophies like cable routing, SSD and radiator mounts, dust filters, etc. The IN WIN 909 gets close with it's thick aluminum frame and tempered glass sides, but the it just misses the mark for me.

I hope Corsair can step it up and make something like this. I would happily pay a hefty price for this.

" I would happily pay a hefty price for this"

The problem is whether sufficient people would agree with you to make it viable. I'm not sure that they would, but I could be wrong (it's happened before, 2002 if I remember correctly). On a personal note, I'm glad that my 900D isn't built in the way you describe, firstly I couldn't afford it and secondly I couldn't lift it.

It's nice to see someone who cares about quality though.

I wouldn't pay $500 for the case he described. That's the price of a new video card that's better than a Titan X, which hopefully comes out this month and I want one.

Having said that, if Corsair were to come out with a cheaper version of the Cross Desk (desk you can build 2 computers in with a glass top) and nicer looking than the Lian Li computer desk case, I'd be all over it.

oRairwolf,

We try to make all of our cases with the best materials possible out in the market. That being said, we would also have to keep our high end cases budget friendly and not outrageous.

There is an appeal for every market, someday we would be able to do a super case (carbon fiber ) =P

"someday we would be able to do a super case (carbon fiber )"

Now that is a case I would seriously think about buying. If I could afford it and, of course, con, sorry persuae, my wife that I really needed yet another case. I had to promise to sell my other 3 cases (750D, 730T and a non Corsair Level 10 GT) all of which are still sitting in my spare room.

• 5 months later...
oRairwolf,

We try to make all of our cases with the best materials possible out in the market. That being said, we would also have to keep our high end cases budget friendly and not outrageous.

There is an appeal for every market, someday we would be able to do a super case (carbon fiber ) =P

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I just wanted to say that if you made a premium carbon fiber case, I would definitely buy it :)

• 3 weeks later...

I had an aluminum case before, metal was thicker to keep the same strength as steel, it was still heavy even with aluminum instead of the heavier steel.

If you really want a super-high end (IE. outrageous) case, Mountain mods seems to have a place in that market. I for one like my 900D case, but considered them as well as an option for mega-customizable cases.

Archived