Corsair Community

SP120 RGB fan control issue

Jaaniic

Hi guys,

I recently finished a build using Corsair's case 460X RGB. It looks gorgeous, by the way. I've attached a pic.

The issue - I can't control the fan speed using BIOS (tried Speedfan as well). There are no changes in speed even if I put them at 0%, or 100%. It still shows ~1600rpm after I save & restart, and there are no changes in loudness, from what my ear can tell. I am using my mobo's feature Fan-tastic tuning, which allows each mobo's fan hub to be controlled separately.

The case comes with 3 SP120's fit inside + the RGB controller. I purchased an additional SP120 to fit as exhaust of the case.

To be able to give power to all of the 4 fans, I bought a fan hub that fits 4 PWM fans. The hub is connected to my motherboards chassis fan connector (4-pin).

I am out of options at this point. The fans are quite loud. Can someone steer me in the right direction or tell me what am I doing wrong?

IMG_7690.thumb.JPG.70d94715a9fca94aeab30d3780990124.JPG

Hmmm...that seems strange, judging that the SP's have 4 pin connectors, you would assume that they are PWM.

They are not connected by a PWM controller. It is just a splitter (hub). It is the deepcool fan hub - very simple. Do you think that it restricts voltage control possibility?

I will first have to check if my mobo has the voltage control for the hub they are connected to. I hope it does, but it is a low-end mobo.

I would consider the commander pro, but only as the last resort. I don't want to fill my case with more and more wires. It is pretty packed as it is with all the rgb control features :biggrin:

PS. It is sad that the rgb control unit can't be the power controller + power module for the fans all in one. 1 sata power cable should be able to handle that :biggrin:

The 4-pin connectors on the SP-RGB fans are for the RGB control only. The fan controller connectors are 3-pin.

As for the deepcool fan hub ... I've no idea if that's a PWM or a DC control hub. However, on thing that you really need to be cautious about with an unpowered fan hub is the current draw.

Yes, you are correct about the SP's being 3-pin. :o:

Regarding the hub - it has a 4-pin out connector to mobo, so I am not familiar whether it will restrict the voltage control possibility, if there is one available on my mobo.

Regarding the current draw - the fans are rated at 0.3 A (3.6 W), but the LEDs are powered separately and from the PSU (via the fan LED hub). In practice, each fan consumed a max operation current draw of 0.137 A (1.64 W), so I should be fine there. Total draw for me is potentially a little bit over half of 1 channels possibilities 0.548 A (6.56 W).

I will see what I can do in BIOS when I am back home from work.

Conclusion is that my motherboard does not support voltage control (Asrock B250M-HDV). So, I will have to think a little about whether I can live with the noise or invest into some control unit. Thanks for the help.

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner buddy.. my RL job gets hectic at times. but I see you was in the very capable hands of DevBiker.

as I said in my first post ;) .. Commander Pro is the answer to your needs. not the cheapest option but certainly the best.. by miles and well worth the consideration.. good luck on your quest dude

Conclusion is that my motherboard does not support voltage control (Asrock B250M-HDV). So, I will have to think a little about whether I can live with the noise or invest into some control unit. Thanks for the help.

That's actually quite surprising. Usually you can set a fan header to DC or PWM in the BIOS. This is the first time that I've heard of a motherboard that only supports PWM.

As Zotty pointed out, the Commander Pro is an option here. It does support DC mode for the fan headers.

That's actually quite surprising. Usually you can set a fan header to DC or PWM in the BIOS. This is the first time that I've heard of a motherboard that only supports PWM.

Well, I am the winner there - this is the one :D: I am still guilty myself as I wanted to cheap out on the mobo. I'll be smarter with my next build/upgrade though.

Archived