The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cooling

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2017, 12:36 AM

POST ID # = 919536
clarke Reputation: 10
Question HD120 RGB Hub Died?

I have had a 3 pack of the HD120 RGB fans for about 8 months and have been using them with the default controller. About a month ago the fans light patter would seem to reset to its "cycle through everything" pattern after having been set to a specific pattern. Today though, I am unable to get them to illuminate at all. I checked all the wires and saw no damage and tried different power ports for the hub, etc. I am assuming now that the hub died for some reason after 7 months of flawless performance.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Old 09-11-2017, 02:05 PM
Banned
Corsair Blake's PC Specs

POST ID # = 919702
Corsair Blake Reputation: 14

Head on over to our support site and fill out an RMA for the HD120 6-port fan hub and controller. They'll help you out with the appropriate resolution for this issue.

Old 09-14-2017, 05:04 PM
Doer of Things and Stuff
Charixfox's PC Specs

POST ID # = 920080
Charixfox Reputation: 19

That sounds like the controller died, so yes, RMA for the hub and controller portion unless you want to build your own controller like I did.

Old 09-18-2017, 05:56 PM

POST ID # = 920493
Osiris1382 Reputation: 10

dont know if this is the appropriate thread for this but I was needing some help with my 5 hd120's. I have the wires that are supposed to go to the hub hooked up fine but do the other 5 wires need to go to "ch fan" headers on my mobo to move? Reason I'm asking is because I have 5 fans and only 3 "ch fan" headers on my mobo. The fans move when I have them hooked up directly to the mobo but I'm still short 2 "ch fan" headers to get all them moving. Am I missing something? I have an Asus m5A99x mobo and a thermaltake g21 case if that helps.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:26 PM
Doer of Things and Stuff
Charixfox's PC Specs

POST ID # = 920495
Charixfox Reputation: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris1382 View Post
dont know if this is the appropriate thread for this but I was needing some help with my 5 hd120's. I have the wires that are supposed to go to the hub hooked up fine but do the other 5 wires need to go to "ch fan" headers on my mobo to move? Reason I'm asking is because I have 5 fans and only 3 "ch fan" headers on my mobo. The fans move when I have them hooked up directly to the mobo but I'm still short 2 "ch fan" headers to get all them moving. Am I missing something? I have an Asus m5A99x mobo and a thermaltake g21 case if that helps.
Would have been better to start a new thread actually, since this is technically thread hijacking. ;)

For the LEDs, the hub is used. For the fan airflow, you can -technically- use any free fan headers on the motherboard that can do PWM, but most motherboards will not have enough, so at that point you should get two-way splitters if you have enough PWM headers (at least three) or (more optimally) a passive PWM hub, or a fan controller like a Corsair Commander Pro.

Two-way splitters will give both fans the "same speed" but only read the speed off one of them. However it will also put higher strain on the motherboard's power supply capability. They are often the least expensive option as well.

A PWM hub is medium in price though it can be inexpensive if a lot of splitters are involved and it will take external power so as to not stress the motherboard, and can handle many, many more fans as a result, however it runs all of them at the same speed and only senses the speed of one of them.

A fan controller knows the speed of every fan and controls them all individually. It requires a USB connection to the motherboard and its own power connection, as well as software to run. It's the most granular control, but also the most expensive.

Tags
hd120, hd120 rgb, hub, rgb