The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Power Supplies

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-24-2009, 12:33 PM
dusty2all's PC Specs

POST ID # = 405706
dusty2all Reputation: 10
Default Well, it was good while it lasted!

OK. I had an earlier post here a couple weeks ago and it had a happy ending. The power supply was working, the fans were on, I could install XP, everything seemed to be fine, with the exception that my other front panel buttons were not working.

I was having a problem with XP installing on the proper partition and it was suggested by someone on a another forum that there was a simple registry fix for this. That didn't work very well, then it was suggested that since I have two hard drives, I could swap the locations of the SATA cables on my motherboard. I did that, then I made a noble effort to get the connector for the reset button in the proper place, taking great pains not to affect the connector to the on / off button. Big mistake. That was about a week ago.

This computer has not started since. No fans. Nothing. At one point, a couple days ago and for an unknown reason, I got a blue light when I was moving some of the front panel connectors around. I don't think there is any problem with the power supply but I don't have any way of knowing that with absolute certainty.

I got some help from some folks on the technical support forum for my motherboard manufacturer and have set up all the front panel connectors according to what has worked for other owners of this motherboard and it still won't start. I am at my wit's end here. I don't know what I could have done that undid my working system. There are no loose screws in the case and the motherboard is properly fastened to the proper stays. What else could be preventing this from working the way it is supposed to?

What I am being told on the other forum is to pull out my motherboard and see if it will post away from the case. I have one of those cases with the power supply on the bottom and the cables routed behind the motherboard and up and over the top to connect to the 20 pin and 4 pin. What that means is that we are talking about major surgery on this system just for troubleshooting purposes and I am not willing to do that yet because this system used to work.

I hope someone here has been through this scenario. If you have, please give me some idea what to try next. Thanks!

Old 06-24-2009, 02:20 PM
..AlLkNoWinG..
..AlLkNoWinG..'s PC Specs

POST ID # = 405719
..AlLkNoWinG.. Reputation: 10

You can try to see if the PSU works on its own! Visit the link provided which should let you know if you PSU is working without the motherboard or not.
PSU Test

Old 06-24-2009, 04:19 PM
dusty2all's PC Specs

POST ID # = 405743

Quote:
Originally Posted by ..AlLkNoWinG.. View Post
You can try to see if the PSU works on its own! Visit the link provided which should let you know if you PSU is working without the motherboard or not.
PSU Test
I am a little unsure of "shorting the two pins." What I did was straighten out a paper clip, then bend it in half and put one end in the 3rd one on the right and one in the 4th. Now this is facing the motherboard with the memory and the CPU on the left. If that is correct, there is no sign of life with the computer plugged in and trying both positions (on / off) on the back of the power supply.

It is hard to tell from the graphic, though, which way the motherboard is facing when the proper pins are indicated. Can anyone clear that up for me?

Old 06-24-2009, 05:06 PM
Banned

POST ID # = 405753
Yellowbeard Reputation: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty2all View Post
I am a little unsure of "shorting the two pins." What I did was straighten out a paper clip, then bend it in half and put one end in the 3rd one on the right and one in the 4th. Now this is facing the motherboard with the memory and the CPU on the left. If that is correct, there is no sign of life with the computer plugged in and trying both positions (on / off) on the back of the power supply.

It is hard to tell from the graphic, though, which way the motherboard is facing when the proper pins are indicated. Can anyone clear that up for me?
Please look at the pictures I attached in that thread and be certain that you are putting the paperclip into the correct holes. And, do you have any sort of devices connected to the PSU to give it a load?

Old 06-24-2009, 05:09 PM
LiquidNinja
Synthohol's PC Specs

POST ID # = 405754
Synthohol Synthohol Reputation: 103
Send a message via AIM to Synthohol Send a message via Yahoo to Synthohol

the green wire and any black wire will do.
i go by the color, the green should be next to the latch clip on the connector.

the 24 pin connector is a bit wider but still uses a green wire for psu on IIRC

System Specs as of 6/17/10

Old 06-24-2009, 06:43 PM
dusty2all's PC Specs

POST ID # = 405762

Hello! Thank you for chiming in, as well as the testing tutorial you provided.
Quote:
Originally Posted by specmike View Post
Please look at the pictures I attached in that thread and be certain that you are putting the paperclip into the correct holes. And, do you have any sort of devices connected to the PSU to give it a load?
Yes, as you recommended, I have the fans connected. I wasn't thinking. When I connected the paper clip in the 3rd and 4th holes in the cable connector, I got the fans running. So I think the power supply is fine, which is what I suspected all along.

So...I reconnected everything and nothing happened when I hit the on / off switch, but the computer came to life when I hit the reset switch. Blue light and all. What a welcome sight. I still don't know why this suddenly decided to work. I did the same thing earlier today and it did not. At any rate, I am back in business again. I hope I won't have to bother anyone else in this forum for the foreseeable future. My thanks to all who contributed to my sanity on this thread.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:50 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 405763
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

Thanks for the update, let us know if you have any more problems!

Old 06-25-2009, 12:27 AM
Banned

POST ID # = 405781
Yellowbeard Reputation: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty2all View Post
So...I reconnected everything and nothing happened when I hit the on / off switch, but the computer came to life when I hit the reset switch. Blue light and all. What a welcome sight. I still don't know why this suddenly decided to work. I did the same thing earlier today and it did not. .
Gremlins!

Glad to hear you got it working.