Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2019, 01:02 AM
A Mighty CORSAlR™
Glzmo's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1000188
Glzmo Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
I was a little concerned about the error message I got about the device not being detected. I've submitted a ticket to Corsair yesterday but haven't gotten a response yet.

The fans spin to max the second I turn on my computer. My CPU package fluctuates to almost 50 degrees C and that is with no load. I've already plugged in the header into the CPU fan header and I'm not able to control them from the BIOS, but I will go and recheck.
The CPU fan header on Platinum coolers is only there to reports a fake pump speed when it's working (if a speed is reported, the pump is working, if it is 0, the pump is dead) so you can use it on motherboards that require a reported "CPU fan" speed to boot without errors (and is also handy if the pump stops working as it would report 0 RPM and thus the mainboard would throw an error). It doesn't do anything else, there is no control or anything. The reported fake speed has been set to around 4500-5000 RPM since some (older) motherboards won't detect lower speeds on the CPU fan header.

If you want to read fan speeds while the fans are connected to the H115i RGB Platinum, you'll either have to use iCue or the latest version of HWInfo64 (don't run them at the same time, though, it will cause problems with the readings). Or you can connect your fans directly to your mainboard, then the mainboard will be able to control the fans and read out their speed. You should be able to use HWInfo64, CoreTemp etc.. to monitor your CPU temperatures as well, by the way.

As for the error message...if you are running Steam (or some other program that accesses the USB bus similar to how Steam does it searching for controllers) on Windows Startup, turn it off. Steam is one of the programs that likes to trigger iCue crashes with Platinum coolers, which again causes iCue to restart. On startup, iCue always disconnects then reconnects the cooler, which can cause the USB driver to crash completely and then you get the error message you describe. Until the "USB Disconnect" problems with Platinum coolers and iCue are fixed, you are better/safer off using the workaround linked in my signature.

If that doesn't help and you have a regular micro USB to USB-A cable lying around (like from a phone charger, etc.), you can try plugging it into the Cooler and the other end to an USB 3.x port on the outside of the mainboard and see if that helps. If it does, then your (internal) USB 2.0 header might not be able to provide enough bandwith/power for the cooler for whatever reason. Might be a mainboard problem or a driver problem, etc..

If nothing above helps, try a different iCue version. 3.9.93 and later should recognize Platinum coolers. Link, Cue or earlier iCue version will not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair Calico Jack View Post
No it doesn't. It comes with LL fans. So does the H115i cooler. The included fans are NOT ML fans.
While that may be true for the case (in which case Hot Ice needs to naturally set his case fans to LL for lighting to work), he has the H115i RGB Platinum cooler that does indeed come with ML-140 Pro RGB LED fans (albeit the special High-Performance 2100 RPM version...which I guess should be called ML-140 Platinum RGB LED, even though it's usually referred to as Pro).

On a side note, Corsair, it might be a good idea to have more distinctive model names for your coolers and fans instead of being so confusing (as you can see by the quote above, even your staff gets confused by these names and is thus giving out wrong information!)? Instead of having H1xxi RGB Platinum/Pro RGB/regular, can't you just add a letter for the series in front? Like H1115i for the original H115i, H2115i for the H115i Pro RGB, H3115i for the H115i RGB Platinum etc.. I know it's hard to impossible for this to be done retroactively, but you should at least consider it for future models. Same for fans, by the way (it's so confusing that people think the 1200RPM versions of ML-140 Pro RGB LED fans that you can buy separately are the same as the 2100RPM versions that come with the Platinum coolers).
It might be a good idea to re-evaluate the job(s) of the person(s) responsible for coming up with these confusing naming schemes and maybe find a more suitable department for them.

People that aren't "in the know" - which I'd assume is the case for most of your customers - don't realize that what they think is a H115i isn't a H115i or that there are different series/models of them and that the "RGB Platinum", "Pro RGB" or whatever other suffix is also important to distinguish them from each other and that in many cases they are even completely different devices made by different OEMs.

Last edited by Glzmo; 04-04-2019 at 01:50 AM.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:10 PM
Corsair Employee

POST ID # = 1000264
Corsair Calico Jack Reputation: 10

Haha I became confused because I verified against the white h100i https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Catego.../CW-9060041-WW

I can't say much for your other comment, I don't really work in those departments, but I can certainly pass on the feedback. TBC, not being dismissive, just saying I can't personally comment on it.

Regardless, it's a good post @hotice for helping fix your detection issue.
Old 04-04-2019, 03:08 PM

POST ID # = 1000278
-=Hot|Ice=- Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair Calico Jack View Post
No it doesn't. It comes with LL fans. So does the H115i cooler. The included fans are NOT ML fans.
No, the Obsidian 500D SE come with three 120mm ML fans.
Old 04-04-2019, 03:23 PM
CORSAIR Beta Team
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1000280
DevBiker Reputation: 88

According to this: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Catego...tab-tech-specs
it comes with 3x LL120 RGB included.
The H115i Platinum does come with ML.

The cyclomatic complexity for determining which fans come with what product is approaching 200.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Old 04-04-2019, 04:16 PM
Gronar's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1000287
Gronar Reputation: 10

Quote:
No, the Obsidian 500D SE come with three 120mm ML fans.
As Devbiker said above every where I've looked where this case is for sale states it comes with LL fans.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:48 PM

POST ID # = 1000323

Bought mine from Microcenter and it has three ML fans.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:50 PM

POST ID # = 1000324

How can I get my case fans to sit at 800 - 1000 RPM when in quiet mode in iCue? Trying to do this without creating a new profile. Case fans keep going from 1,100 RPM to 1,500 RPM in quiet mode. They're always fluctuating.

Last edited by -=Hot|Ice=-; 04-04-2019 at 11:54 PM.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:27 AM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1000332
c-attack c-attack Reputation: 107

Quote:
How can I get my case fans to sit at 800 - 1000 RPM when in quiet mode in iCue? Trying to do this without creating a new profile. Case fans keep going from 1,100 RPM to 1,500 RPM in quiet mode. They're always fluctuating.
That’s because your cpu temp is constantly fluctuating and it is the control variable for the default curves. This is typical of any cpu from that last 3-4 years. You need to make a new fan profile. Click the little + in the performance tab. Pick something else besides cpu temp as a sensor value (GPU temp might work). Set the curve points to an appropriate range. Click on the new fan curve name to make it highlight yellow. Then click all the fans on the right you want to apply it to. They will ring yellow to let you know that is the curve in use.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:43 AM
Gronar's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1000372
Gronar Reputation: 10

Quote:
Bought mine from Microcenter and it has three ML fans.
This one? https://www.microcenter.com/product/...r-case---black

That comes with LL fans. Also if that is the case you can't mix LL fans with ML fans on a single commander pro.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:51 PM

POST ID # = 1000409

Well, Amazon sent me a new pump and that fixed the fans going to max. Pump was dead.

Everything else has been resolved with help from Corsair Support. My final question here is, how hard should the pump be working? It currently spins at 2,048 RPM in quiet mode and stays there.

Last edited by -=Hot|Ice=-; 04-05-2019 at 12:53 PM.
Old 04-05-2019, 06:31 PM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1000449
c-attack c-attack Reputation: 107

On the Platinum coolers, it really doesn't matter. The quiet speed at 2000 rpm has enough pressure to keep a constant flow and good temps. The coolant circuit is short and relatively low restriction, so there isn't a lot of gain with higher pumps speeds. You can test this for yourself and it's possible a 2700X might be 1-2C cooler at the highest speed, but that may not be a good trade for noise at idle or micro-managing the pump.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:32 PM

POST ID # = 1000462

I just wanted to say thank you to you all. You've all been very, very helpful and very patient. Thank you so much to you and Corsair Support. Looks like my Ryzen 3000 series rig will be a Corsair rig. Thank you c-attack for your wealth of info.

I appreciate all of you.