The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Keyboards and Mice

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 25 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-05-2011, 05:47 PM
papalazaru's PC Specs

POST ID # = 532677
papalazaru Reputation: 10

That wouldn't bother me.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:22 PM

POST ID # = 532719
user000 Reputation: 10
Angry

I have cancelled my order on this garbage.

110$ + taxes for a non 100% full mechanical keyboard?

Like another guy said on this forum, if you had any common sense you would have used black mechanical cherry switches to increase resistance, not cheap out with rubber/dome/membrane. Especially on the ESC key ?????????????????????????????????

Old 10-06-2011, 10:23 AM
JustinHEMI's PC Specs

POST ID # = 532803
JustinHEMI Reputation: 10

Wow. Really? Rage much?

Old 10-06-2011, 07:51 PM
ApokalipseMeow's PC Specs

POST ID # = 532980
ApokalipseMeow Reputation: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
Wow. Really? Rage much?
I think I'm not alone in saying that I really wanted somebody to make a good mechanical keyboard that has backlighting, proper media keys, and a volume wheel - not volume buttons, and not an FN key that turns some F keys into media keys.
20KRO is fine, though if it came as a USB-PS/2 hybrid that would be even better (PS/2 for FNKRO, USB for the media keys, unless they also work over PS/2?)

When I saw the K90, I thought it was exactly what I wanted, until I learned that not all the keys are mechanical.
Call it OCD, but I think it is a deal breaker. I don't think it's too much to ask from a keyboard even if it requires an increased cost. I'd gladly pay $200 for what I'd consider the perfect keyboard and not look back.

Right now I use autohotkey to adjust volume using ctrl + alt + mousewheel, and various other combinations for pause/next/previous/mute, and they work OK in combination with my current backlit mechanical keyboard (which has FNKRO using PS/2)

Last edited by ApokalipseMeow; 10-06-2011 at 08:03 PM.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:21 PM
Obscurus
persentio's PC Specs

POST ID # = 533013
persentio Reputation: 10

Quote:
Because of the lightness and sensitivity of the Cherry Reds (which is fantastic for gaming, and much better than people think for typing) we wanted a different switch pressure for some of the other keys – especially the macro keys – so you don’t actuate them if your hand brushes over them. So we decided to use the Cherry MX key switches on all the keys except the top row (Escape through F12 plus PrntScn/Scrl Lock/Pause) and for the “six pack” (ins/Home/Page up/dn, Del, End) where we have tuned a silicon dome keyswitch strip with a slightly firmer spring rate and more damping – thought the electrical response (1ms) is the same. These keys are not used for double taps or movement keys, so we preferred a firmer, less twitchy feel on these non-typing keys. These are keys you want to hit once, and need to nail solidly every time.

On the K90, we also used a separate silicon dome keyswitch matrix for the macro “G” keys because it allows us to put these keys on a lower plane than the main typing keys – again, so you can find them by feel, and so you don’t hit them accidentally (Logitech’s G15/G510 users have complained about hitting G1 when they really wanted “Escape” – which can have dire consequences!). These keys have a fully programmable repeat rate/multiple in the macro software, so you won’t be using these for double-taps or triple-taps anyway.

This is the type of design innovation you get when gaming enthusiasts engineer a keyboard from scratch - without the restriction of using a mass-produced office keyboard as a starting point.
I have no doubt in my mind that this is indeed an innovation in its own right, and that the hybrid keys might definitely work for some people. I can definitely picture the usefulness of having a different feel between a macro key and a regular key.

My concern however, stems from the fact that mech keyboard aficionados who swear never to touch dome keyboards again will be put off just by the fact that the K60/90s are in fact some form of a hybrid between mech and dome; and you could hence be losing a huge potential market there as well as be angering people should they find out it is a hybrid only after they purchase with the assumption they are getting a FULL mech keyboard beforehand.

This is not really to satisfy MY own want of a full mech keyboard; rather I just plead Corsair to be fully transparent about the mix of Dome keys on their mech keyboards.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:27 AM

POST ID # = 533103
Culverin Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApokalipseMeow View Post
I'd gladly pay $200 for what I'd consider the perfect keyboard and not look back.
You said it.

In my mind, the perfect keyboard is...
- a full keyboard, not a 10keyless
- standalone macros (the 18 macro on the K90 seems perfect)
- would feature bright backlighting
- lighting on/off controls
- individually backlight with different colors like the alienware laptop keyboard (let the fans and nerds hack it so we can turn it into an equalizer for when we just want to zone out to music)
- fat volume knob made of metal
- window key lock
- standalone media keys
- solid construction (this includes the wrist guard and adjustable feet. (the machined aluminum sounds PERFECT, I await to see this in person)).
- Fully mechanical goes without saying.

Anyways, long story short, I would pay through the teeth for a keyboard like this.
The closest I've got right now is the K90, I'm hoping it's good enough that I can support Corsair so that for the next generation, they can make my dream keyboard.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:41 PM
fvbounty's PC Specs

POST ID # = 533127
fvbounty Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culverin View Post
You said it.

In my mind, the perfect keyboard is...
- a full keyboard, not a 10keyless
- standalone macros (the 18 macro on the K90 seems perfect)
- would feature bright backlighting
- lighting on/off controls
- individually backlight with different colors like the alienware laptop keyboard (let the fans and nerds hack it so we can turn it into an equalizer for when we just want to zone out to music)
- fat volume knob made of metal
- window key lock
- standalone media keys
- solid construction (this includes the wrist guard and adjustable feet. (the machined aluminum sounds PERFECT, I await to see this in person)).
- Fully mechanical goes without saying.

Anyways, long story short, I would pay through the teeth for a keyboard like this.
The closest I've got right now is the K90, I'm hoping it's good enough that I can support Corsair so that for the next generation, they can make my dream keyboard.
I agree and the Volume knob is really nice, I have that on my keyboard I use right now (MS Sidewinder X6 ) and love it. The K60 would be just what I want with Backlighting and Volume Knob would be perfect!

Old 10-07-2011, 02:12 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 533155
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

fvbounty, Culverin, ApokalipseMeow, and user000
First of all thank you all for taking the time to post your concerns and questions. We do hear you and our Product manager is aware of your comments. There are concerns both ways and not that I do not agree with you all but I think for our first product the K60 and K90 will be a successful product and meet their design goals. As I have stated we know that some people may not like the KB or Mouse we make for whatever reason. And that is their choice. But I would encourage anyone to try one of the key boards when they are available and go from there. Our product manager has explained previously why the design was implemented in this fashion, to help prevent from accidentally hitting one of the F key's. So again thank you all for your comments and we will look forward to seeing some reviews when they are available.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:49 PM
Neutral_Eyes's PC Specs

POST ID # = 533166
Neutral_Eyes Reputation: 10
Send a message via MSN to Neutral_Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by persentio View Post
My concern however, stems from the fact that mech keyboard aficionados who swear never to touch dome keyboards again will be put off just by the fact that the K60/90s are in fact some form of a hybrid between mech and dome; and you could hence be losing a huge potential market there as well as be angering people should they find out it is a hybrid only after they purchase with the assumption they are getting a FULL mech keyboard beforehand.

This is not really to satisfy MY own want of a full mech keyboard; rather I just plead Corsair to be fully transparent about the mix of Dome keys on their mech keyboards.
My guess is that they were okay with not marketing towards the mechanical keyboard aficionados. While they may lose some potential customers by including the rubber domes, they probably figured they'd lose more by using all mechanical switches and probably pricing themselves out of the "enthusiast gamer" market. Aside from Clears, MX Red switches are or were the most expensive and hard to find. They're starting to become more readily available now, but I can see how a full keyboard with those switches and all the other Corsair goodies would get somewhat pricey.

I do agree that they should better inform everyone of what the keyboard actually comes with on their product page. I shouldn't have to go digging in the product support forums or other keyboard forums to learn that not all the switches are mechanical.

Last edited by Neutral_Eyes; 10-07-2011 at 02:51 PM.

Old 10-07-2011, 05:13 PM
JustinHEMI's PC Specs

POST ID # = 533199

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post
fvbounty, Culverin, ApokalipseMeow, and user000
First of all thank you all for taking the time to post your concerns and questions. We do hear you and our Product manager is aware of your comments. There are concerns both ways and not that I do not agree with you all but I think for our first product the K60 and K90 will be a successful product and meet their design goals. As I have stated we know that some people may not like the KB or Mouse we make for whatever reason. And that is their choice. But I would encourage anyone to try one of the key boards when they are available and go from there. Our product manager has explained previously why the design was implemented in this fashion, to help prevent from accidentally hitting one of the F key's. So again thank you all for your comments and we will look forward to seeing some reviews when they are available.
I think one thing you guys are missing is that the product literature does NOT explain this.

Like others have said, one could buy this keyboard thinking it was all mechanical, then be upset later when they find out it isn't.

What we are saying is that the literature needs to be clear about this. The only thing we have is a random tech facebook post and what was posted here.

We are recommending that not only do you consider a future full mechanical keyboard, but that you ensure that it is CLEAR in the product literature that these are hybrids. Right now, one is led to believe that they are getting a fully mechanical keyboard when they are not.

Justin

Old 10-07-2011, 06:11 PM
fvbounty's PC Specs

POST ID # = 533214
fvbounty Reputation: 10

Quote:
I think one thing you guys are missing is that the product literature does NOT explain this.

Like others have said, one could buy this keyboard thinking it was all mechanical, then be upset later when they find out it isn't.

What we are saying is that the literature needs to be clear about this. The only thing we have is a random tech facebook post and what was posted here.

We are recommending that not only do you consider a future full mechanical keyboard, but that you ensure that it is CLEAR in the product literature that these are hybrids. Right now, one is led to believe that they are getting a fully mechanical keyboard when they are not.

Justin
Very well said, I'll probably get the K90 anyways, I like the look and the backlighted keys, its just like you said it would be better do be up front on the box that is a hybrid. I really like all of Corsair products and been buying them for years, I just know what a firestorm this will cause on the web!

Old 10-07-2011, 08:19 PM
JustinHEMI's PC Specs

POST ID # = 533256

Oh yeah, I am getting the K60, but still, this won't go well if people buy without learning beforehand.

Old 10-09-2011, 12:35 AM

POST ID # = 533472
user000 Reputation: 10

Well yeah... initially when I read about this keyboard I got very excited thinking its 100% mechanical, and I put down the $ to order it, and 1.5 weeks later I find out by randomly reading on forums that it's not 100% mechanical (and yes it pissed me off)
But considering my latest experience with the Zibal 60 today (I am really disappointed with that one as well and I have returned it) I will have no choice but to try out the Corsair K60 since every single mechanical KB I have tried so far has some kind of design flaw. The only thing(s) i REALLY like about this K60 is the fact it's got REAL volume control buttons and its very easy to clean between the buttons.

I'm crossing my fingers.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:35 PM
distronic's PC Specs

POST ID # = 533789
distronic Reputation: 10

Quote:

Justin
I have to echo this post. It is a shame that I had to find out through the forums after making my pre-order with Amazon to find out this keyboard is not fully mechanical. I am satisfied with the reasons given, however. Those should also be on the product page. Borderline dishonesty? That is dishonest flat-out to market the product as mechanical and it be 90% mechanical. When reviewers find out about this and it isn't on the product page, in my opinion I don't believe they will give it a positive review on that part. When I get enough funds and I am not liking the keyboard I just bought, then maybe I will try the K60/K90. Until then, I suggest the product page is updated.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:47 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 533793
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

Thanks for your input and we have mentioned this to the Product Manager!