The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cases

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2019, 03:03 AM

POST ID # = 996439
skoolz Reputation: 10
Default 500d rgb has weird rubber spatter on front glass

So there were some weird black spots on the front glass panel on my new 500d. I was able to scrape the raised "bubble" portion of these spots off the glass with my fingernail, but it left a lighter spot that is STILL visible when LEDs are lit.

I rubbed some alcohol on it but it didn't help. I want to try acetone to see if that will dissolve the remaining, supposed residue.

My question about that is, does anyone know how "smoked" tempered glass is made? Is this just a layer of tint on the outside or is it actually the glass that's smoked all the way through?

I ask because I don't want to ruin the glass any further by inadvertently removing the outer layer of the panel with acetone. Also, maybe it will lead to some clues as to where the hell these black drops came from.

Thoughts?

Old 03-05-2019, 03:29 AM
CORSAIR Beta Team
Zotty's PC Specs

POST ID # = 996440
Zotty Reputation: 52

if it was like this new out of the box I would be contacting support buddy... open a ticket, give as much info as possible including Photos

Old 03-05-2019, 10:57 AM

POST ID # = 996468

Well, it was there ootb, but it was virtually impossible to notice until I hooked everything up and plugged in the case and the front LEDs came on. Therefore, I would prefer to just fix the problem myself first, if possible, instead of RMAing the case or something and having to disassemble everything.

Anybody know any details about "smoked" tempered glass and if it would be safe to at least try acetone on it? I THINK it's just like normal tempered glass, just some process makes it darker/tinted rather than having a layer of tint over it. Therefore, I initially suspect the glass can withstand most chemicals like normal glass.

Old 03-05-2019, 11:29 AM

POST ID # = 996475

Also, it would be nice to know if they use some chemical to produce the effect on the outer layer which may have caused the rubbery clumps to begin with. That would indicate that the spots remaining COULD be permanent.

Old 03-05-2019, 12:13 PM
Johnny_B500's PC Specs

POST ID # = 996485
Johnny_B500 Reputation: 15

Not to hijack a 500d thread but I have somewhat of the same kind of issue, although with my 570x Mirror glass. After completing the build (and with the case lights on) I noticed a few tiny white specs that seem to be either on the exterior of the glass or possibly inside the actual glass structure (glass was completely babied whilst doing the build and only handled with nitrile powder free gloves). Like skoolz, it would be interesting to know how the different styles of glass are manufactured as alcohol certainly isn't moving it.

As far as opening a ticket, the thought of pulling everything apart to potentially RMA the case after spending hours on cable management simply isn't happening.

Old 03-06-2019, 01:04 PM

POST ID # = 996625

So, I have an update.

I kind of said 'f' it and tried acetone. Didn't really help.

So, I went back to rubbing alcohol, dipped q-tips into it, and just scrubbed the spots first with the wet side for a while and then the dry side last. IT CAME OFF! All the spots did.

It took quite a bit of time and elbow grease (thank you Corsair for your careless manufacturing processes, ugh), but ultimately I am happy with the clarity of my front glass panel now.

Old 03-06-2019, 02:46 PM
Johnny_B500's PC Specs

POST ID # = 996638
Johnny_B500 Reputation: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoolz View Post
So, I have an update.

I kind of said 'f' it and tried acetone. Didn't really help.

So, I went back to rubbing alcohol, dipped q-tips into it, and just scrubbed the spots first with the wet side for a while and then the dry side last. IT CAME OFF! All the spots did.

It took quite a bit of time and elbow grease (thank you Corsair for your careless manufacturing processes, ugh), but ultimately I am happy with the clarity of my front glass panel now.

Awesome. Glad you got it resolved!