The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Power Supplies

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-01-2019, 11:06 AM
TheTiesThatBind TheTiesThatBind is offline
Registered User
TheTiesThatBind's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Greece
Posts: 104
POST ID # = 992169
TheTiesThatBind Reputation: 10
Default Installing RM750X the right way?

Hello there,

I just bought a RM750X PSU and I came across a YT video review claiming that this specific PSU should be installed with the fan upside and only that way! The reason behind this as they claim is because of the semi-passive mode where the fan won’t spin under light to mid load. They say that if the psu is installed with the fan facing down the hot air will get trapped at the psu internals. The fan will eventually start spinning at some point removing the hot air but there will be an unnecessary stress put on psu because the fan will start spinning at a specific temperature.

Is this true? Do I actually have to place the psu with the fan facing upside? Well my case has a shroud which is mesh (NZXT H700)

Looking forward to an official response over this one!
Kind regards
Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 02-02-2019, 12:43 PM
Ektelion's Avatar
Ektelion Ektelion is offline
Registered User
Ektelion's PC Specs
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 78
POST ID # = 992328
Ektelion Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTiesThatBind View Post
Hello there,

I just bought a RM750X PSU and I came across a YT video review claiming that this specific PSU should be installed with the fan upside and only that way! The reason behind this as they claim is because of the semi-passive mode where the fan won’t spin under light to mid load. They say that if the psu is installed with the fan facing down the hot air will get trapped at the psu internals. The fan will eventually start spinning at some point removing the hot air but there will be an unnecessary stress put on psu because the fan will start spinning at a specific temperature.

Is this true? Do I actually have to place the psu with the fan facing upside? Well my case has a shroud which is mesh (NZXT H700)

Looking forward to an official response over this one!
Kind regards
I use the same exact PSU and the fan is pulling fresh air from the bottom of the case.
I assume that's the optimal way to use it or else its pulling air directly from inside of the case which is hot air and that doesn't sound good solution to me.

Just think about it

Gpu is on top of your Psu its pulling Air from the bottom, if your Psu is pulling the air from the inside of the case you're kinda ruinning the airflow of your GPU aswell that way.
Reply With Quote


  #3  
Old 02-02-2019, 01:31 PM
DevBiker's Avatar
DevBiker DevBiker is offline
CORSAIR Beta Team
DevBiker's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 7,517
POST ID # = 992336
DevBiker Reputation: 88
Default

The PSU should be installed in such a way that the fan has access to cool air. I'm not sure the context of the YT review but if the fan is blocked off, that's a bad thing, And some cases would block off the PSU if it's not "upside down".
But this holds tru for any PSU ... semi-passive or not.
__________________
Please click "Edit System Specs" and fill out your system info.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Reply With Quote


  #4  
Old 02-02-2019, 02:32 PM
TheTiesThatBind TheTiesThatBind is offline
Registered User
TheTiesThatBind's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Greece
Posts: 104
POST ID # = 992343
TheTiesThatBind Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevBiker View Post
The PSU should be installed in such a way that the fan has access to cool air. I'm not sure the context of the YT review but if the fan is blocked off, that's a bad thing, And some cases would block off the PSU if it's not "upside down".
But this holds tru for any PSU ... semi-passive or not.
Thanks Dev! That's how I installed it anyway. Got one more question, hopefully you can answer it for me. Is it better to use two independent PCI-e cables instead of one? I mean those that RM750x ships with both end to x2 6+2 PCIe connectors. Shall I use just one and plug both on my GPU or is it better to use both PCI-e cables and connect my GPU?

I use the EVGA GeForce 1080 FTW2 which requires 2 8pin connectors either way.

Kind regards
Reply With Quote


  #5  
Old 02-02-2019, 03:08 PM
DevBiker's Avatar
DevBiker DevBiker is offline
CORSAIR Beta Team
DevBiker's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Republic of Texas
Posts: 7,517
POST ID # = 992349
DevBiker Reputation: 88
Default

I'm not sure how much that matters. Each PCIe cable is designed for the full load of both connectors. You might have a little more stability if they were separate but I doubt it.
__________________
Please click "Edit System Specs" and fill out your system info.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #6  
Old 02-02-2019, 03:34 PM
TheTiesThatBind TheTiesThatBind is offline
Registered User
TheTiesThatBind's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Greece
Posts: 104
POST ID # = 992355
TheTiesThatBind Reputation: 10
Default

Alright thanks, I guess I'm gonna remove the second one then
Reply With Quote


  #7  
Old 02-02-2019, 08:37 PM
Ektelion's Avatar
Ektelion Ektelion is offline
Registered User
Ektelion's PC Specs
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 78
POST ID # = 992387
Ektelion Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTiesThatBind View Post
Alright thanks, I guess I'm gonna remove the second one then
That actually depends on what GPU you are using.

I myself am using 2x seperate 8 pins for my RTX 2080 Ti.

If its just a GTX 1060 or an RTX 2060 you'll be fine with just 1.

It's not *safe* to use a single cable for any component that is using more than 200 watts itself.

If you want more details about this check this post out.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comm...ti_dont_be_me/
Reply With Quote


  #8  
Old 02-02-2019, 08:53 PM
TheTiesThatBind TheTiesThatBind is offline
Registered User
TheTiesThatBind's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Greece
Posts: 104
POST ID # = 992388
TheTiesThatBind Reputation: 10
Default

Oh come on, I just disconnected the second one! Well I use GTX 1080 FTW2, works fine. Once I buy some custom cables, I’ll get 2x PCIe separated
Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.