The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Keyboards and Mice

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 51 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 06-25-2015, 02:21 PM
CORSAIR Beta Team
terabyte's PC Specs

POST ID # = 786680
terabyte Reputation: 73

With USB 3 one port is enough for the current needed, plugging both cords into USB 3.0 might cause errors since it receives much more current than it needs (double). Personally I would prefer to have 1 free USB port I can use for other things too.

That said it really depends on the motherboard, on the chipset it uses (asmedia, etc) and so on. Some motherboards work with either 3.0 or 2.0, others only 3.0 and others again only 2.0. Since you already know it works with only 1 3.0 port I would just use that and be done with it.

I understand where you're coming from since I'm kinda OCD myself but it's not worth the trouble if you ask me. If you still want to give it a try you'd have to check any USB ports related options in your BIOS. And also take a look at the devices list in windows.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:42 AM
maap's PC Specs

POST ID # = 787120
maap Reputation: 10

Yeah, got it plugged in to single usb 3, bundled the 2nd connector to look neat. No Device manager errors on usb3, but with usb2, comes up with unknown device. Think that second plug confuses the mobo. Kinda figured both in usb 3 might be too much.
USB space not an issue with this mobo though, 10 usb 3 plus 2 usb 2 on rear for total of 12, plus 2 usb 3.1. thru exp card. 4 usb3 on front plus 3 usb2.
USB overload. Only got a couple of usb 3 devices...lol

Thanks for reply
Sound Blaster ZxR / Logitech Z-5500 5.1 / SeaSonic X-1250 Power Supply / Win 10 Pro x64 (1709)

Last edited by maap; 06-28-2015 at 11:46 AM.

Old 06-28-2015, 03:10 PM
crazybear's PC Specs

POST ID # = 787145
crazybear Reputation: 10

Any evidence as to which connector one would likely use if using only one USB 3.0 port? While I'm sure I can [and will] try, I'd be interested to know what others have found.

Old 06-28-2015, 06:07 PM
Bearded Corsair Employee

POST ID # = 787161
Technobeard Reputation: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybear View Post
Any evidence as to which connector one would likely use if using only one USB 3.0 port? While I'm sure I can [and will] try, I'd be interested to know what others have found.
The OP covers this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowbeard View Post
Connecting via USB 3.0

Use one connector (the one with the keyboard icon) when connecting via USB 3.0

Old 07-06-2015, 01:16 PM

POST ID # = 788286
jago_ff Reputation: 10

Connecting via USB 3.0

Use one connector (the one with the keyboard icon) when connecting via USB 3.0

Connecting via USB 2.0

Use both connectors when using USB 2.0. Important Note: Plug in the connector with the two arrows icon first, and the connector with the keyboard icon second.

-----

This is correct?

Old 07-06-2015, 03:13 PM
CORSAIR Beta Team
terabyte's PC Specs

POST ID # = 788297

Yes, that's correct.

Old 08-06-2015, 03:54 AM

POST ID # = 793944
misshu Reputation: 10

Hi, I have a strange problem on windows 10, when i use both usb from my k95 rgb on a 2 usb 2.0 that usb with arrows is not recornized by windows and every 5 seconds windows telling me that with a iritating sound .... (the keyboard works fine even if the windows cant recirnize the usb)
When connecting to a usb 3.0 i dont have this problem becouse i dont need the other cable

Old 08-06-2015, 08:25 AM
CORSAIR Beta Team
terabyte's PC Specs

POST ID # = 794004

If the keyboard works just fine with only 1 USB 3.0 port then go ahead and use that.

Old 09-06-2015, 04:12 AM
theking4's PC Specs

POST ID # = 805268
theking4 Reputation: 10

OK @ so im not the only one with the UNKNOWN DEVICE ERROR 43! because that also only happens in USB 2.0
with Mobo g1.sniper.b5 from gigabyte.

so what im understanding that its just doesnt work in usb 2.0? also im a person that want to use 2.0 ports. but in this case i have to use 3.0? or is there a workaround for it?

Old 10-11-2015, 11:25 PM
Heavensblood's PC Specs

POST ID # = 813571
Heavensblood Reputation: 10

Just got my Corsair Strafe RGB and I have a question regarding its USB Connection Requirement.

I plugged in one connector with the keyboard icon in a USB 3.0 port as stated.
Keyboard worked like normal, but when I tried to plug in my Cloud 2 Headset to the USB passthrough on the Keyboard I cant seem to get my PC to recognize my headset device since the Instructions said to plug in only one connector when using USB 3.0

I tried plugging in the second connector to another USB 3.0 (since I'm currently out of USB 2.0 ports) and my headset got recognized by my PC and works great now.

So I wanted to know if my keyboard can stay connected to two USB 3.0 ports... is this safe?

I freed up two USB 2.0 ports temporarily for my keyboard and settled in using these right now.

I'm really looking forward to know if its safe to use two USB 3.0 ports for this?

Last edited by Heavensblood; 10-12-2015 at 01:54 AM.

Old 10-12-2015, 05:36 AM
CORSAIR Beta Team

POST ID # = 813588
Inheritance Reputation: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavensblood View Post
Just got my Corsair Strafe RGB and I have a question regarding its USB Connection Requirement.

Keyboard worked like normal, but when I tried to plug in my Cloud 2 Headset to the USB passthrough on the Keyboard I cant seem to get my PC to recognize my headset device since the Instructions said to plug in only one connector when using USB 3.0

I tried plugging in the second connector to another USB 3.0 (since I'm currently out of USB 2.0 ports) and my headset got recognized by my PC and works great now.

So I wanted to know if my keyboard can stay connected to two USB 3.0 ports... is this safe?

I freed up two USB 2.0 ports temporarily for my keyboard and settled in using these right now.

I'm really looking forward to know if its safe to use two USB 3.0 ports for this?
Its fine to use two USB 3.0 ports. nothing bad will happen. Its best if you plug both of them in to the 3.0 ports but it really doesnt matter.
Corsair USER Forums is NOT Corsair Tech Support

Old 10-12-2015, 11:05 AM
CORSAIR Beta Team
terabyte's PC Specs

POST ID # = 813614

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavensblood View Post

The Strafe RGB has only 1 USB connector for the lights and the other one is for the USB passthrough, unlike the K65/70/95 RGB that do NOT have a passthrough but require instead 2 USB connectors for the lights alone.

So yes, you need to plug in both for the headset to work.

Old 10-13-2015, 02:02 AM
Heavensblood's PC Specs

POST ID # = 813759
Heavensblood Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zheren159 View Post
Its fine to use two USB 3.0 ports. nothing bad will happen. Its best if you plug both of them in to the 3.0 ports but it really doesnt matter.
Thank you so much. I finally got every port where they should be. Apologies for being so paranoid about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terabyte View Post
The Strafe RGB has only 1 USB connector for the lights and the other one is for the USB passthrough, unlike the K65/70/95 RGB that do NOT have a passthrough but require instead 2 USB connectors for the lights alone.

So yes, you need to plug in both for the headset to work.
Thank you for clearing this part up!

Been trying to find usb pass through information it in the included 1 page folded leaflet quickstart guide, the software quickstart guide / software manual, and the FAQ's section that didnt have this information about the USB pass through, or there lack of usb pass through capability and made everything more confusing) Apologies It's my first Corsair peripheral.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:56 AM
CORSAIR Beta Team
terabyte's PC Specs

POST ID # = 813788

No worries, you're welcome

Old 11-15-2015, 06:53 AM
007.SirBond's PC Specs

POST ID # = 820099
007.SirBond Reputation: 10

I literally reinstalled my AHCI controller and USB ports several times, wondering why windows kept saying one of my USB ports was failing. It turns out, plugging both cables of my K95 in USB 3.0 Ports was causing the problem and now I learn that you only need one cable for a 3.0 Port. WHY IS THIS NOT INCLUDED IN THE MANUAL? Also is this confirmed by Corsair? Yellowbeard is a employee of Corsair?