Corsair Community

SP120, AF120 & AF140 zero RPM

Obii

Are my new fans faulty? All 6 of them? 2 x SP120 hi-perf PWM (4 pin), 2 x AF120 (3 pin) and 2 x AF140 (3 pin), none of them have an RPM detected in bios or thermal radar in AI Suite, using an ASUS Sabertooth 990FX mo'bo, every other fan I own is running properly but my 6 corsairs just throw up nothing no matter what header I use although they do spin. I don't think my mo'bo is at fault as I have issues with no other fans but it's curious as the fans were purchased at 2 different stores so what's the chances they're all faulty? Is it just a compatibility issue and Corsair fans don't play with ASUS mo'bos?

Can you test them on another MB to be sure but I have not seen a problem like this with our fans? And are the running at speed just not showing any RPM or are they not running at all?

unfortunately this is a new rebuild as my old Q2D system died so i have no other mo'bo to test them on.

the fans all spin up and do vary in speed with temps or if i set them manually within thermal radar or my analogue fan controller, it's just the RPM always shows zero in thermal radar/bios so the SP120 that i've put on my CPU heatsink throws up CPU fan error on boot so i've had to ignore it in bios as i know it is working just has no speed signal.

i have just tested the standard corsair case fans (3 pin 120mm) that came with my C70 and they are detected properly by the motherboard, this in conjunction with the other thread i've read on these forums where the user had the same issue and still had the issue after RMA leads me to believe the fans are at fault, this is curious though as there aren't any other complaints of this issue, so has something changed in the product recently as other people in older threads have recordable RPM, maybe something has been altered with revisions?

i also have the same problem as the op. my motherboard is the asus m5a99x evo and when i connected the sp120 pwm fan to my cpu fan header the cpu fan error would come on boot. The cpu fan header would get reading but it would go from 0 to some 5,6 or 7 digit number in a random order. for now i have disabled monitoring for the cpu fan but im gonna go with another brand if i dont get any solution to this problem.

I am for 100% sure the fans are at fault. I tested 2 SP120 fans on three different mainboards as can be seen in the other thread, all gave the same problem and all worked after connecting my adapter.

I tried opening up the fan but its glued in such a way it gets damaged irreparably.

It seems the resistance R2 is the wrong value, unfortunately when opening one fan up I complete destroyed one component which is R2 so I cannot read the value nor measure it, ahhhh.

However R2 is the only thing connected between the RPM output of IC2 (APX9262) and the RPM pin on the cable so unless the AXP9692 IC's are bad it must be an incorrect value of R2.

Corsair must have produced thousands of bad fans now, the question is will they admit it and will they get me a working fan for letting them know of the problem.

• Corsair Employee
Please try and test them on another MB to be sure but you can request an RMA and we can replace the fans and please post the case number as I would like to test the fans you return personally.

• 2 weeks later...
I am for 100% sure the fans are at fault. I tested 2 SP120 fans on three different mainboards as can be seen in the other thread, all gave the same problem and all worked after connecting my adapter.

I tried opening up the fan but its glued in such a way it gets damaged irreparably.

It seems the resistance R2 is the wrong value, unfortunately when opening one fan up I complete destroyed one component which is R2 so I cannot read the value nor measure it, ahhhh.

However R2 is the only thing connected between the RPM output of IC2 (APX9262) and the RPM pin on the cable so unless the AXP9692 IC's are bad it must be an incorrect value of R2.

Corsair must have produced thousands of bad fans now, the question is will they admit it and will they get me a working fan for letting them know of the problem.

Well that clears up that problem. i sent my corsair sp120 pwm back to newegg for a refund last week and im gonna just go with another brand. Im surprised that corsair let this slip under the radar.

Well that clears up that problem. i sent my corsair sp120 pwm back to newegg for a refund last week and im gonna just go with another brand. Im surprised that corsair let this slip under the radar.

Thats why they asked you to return them directly to Corsair. IF there is a problem somewhere they would be able to identify it and make changes.

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem. Was there a resolution here?

I have 4 SP120 PWM High Perf fans and none of them report RPM on my EVGA X79 Dark's CPU fan header, although they do seem to report RPM on the other non-PWM headers.

The SP120L fans that came with my H100i cooler report RPM status on the CPU fan header as expected.

Has Corsair made any discoveries recently as to what might be causing this problem?

• 2 weeks later...

same problem just posted in this thread http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119379 whats the deal?

"i just received the Corsair Air Series SP120 (CO-9050014-WW) 120mm PWM High Performance Edition High Static Pressure Fan (Twin Pack) from newegg to use push/pull on my corsair h55 aio im also receiving 0 rpms from each fan i was using a y splitter and thought that could be the problem so i attached the h55 power supply directly to molex/psu and tested each fan connecter to the cpu fan and cpu opt header mixing and matching and no rpms are listed i plugged the h55 back in the cpu fan and its getting the rpms reported. i can adjust the speed of these 2 fans but not see rpms. also using sabertooth 990fx r2.0 board. "

• 9 months later...
Same problem here,

I have one Sabertooth 990FX 2.0 and 4 SP120 Performance reading 0 RPM...

Any solution available or we just need to RMA them?

Hi,

i have this motherboard too, and this problem with 2 sp120 pwm..

Did you try to change the fan header? maybe on the chassis fan 2/3/4?

Hi,

i have this motherboard too, and this problem with 2 sp120 pwm..

Did you try to change the fan header? maybe on the chassis fan 2/3/4?

Yes, I have already tried all motherboard headers, and they are not reporting at all. Btw, I have a Corsair H60 Installed, and the corsair radiator oem fan reports as intended, as well as several Enermax I had installed.

I have opened a Support ticket last week, but nobody has replied me yet, I suppose I will return them to Amazon and buy another brand... :mad: Very disappointed with this product

• 1 month later...

Just built my Sabertooth PC and same issue. I have a Corsair case that came with one 140 and one 120 fan and both work from any header. The two AF140s I bought, however, are displaying this fault. This is clearly an issue with the fans as even Corsair fans work fine on this mobo and show RPM, just not the AF140s.

When Corsair responded to your ticket, what was their proposed solution? Is there a bios setting or a simple mod to fix them? Could it just be poor QC at the factory, and they're getting wired wrongly? If so, I shall take them back to Maplins where I bought them and insist they get their soldering kit out and fix then. I need to know for sure that it is sloppy build quality causing this though and not a design issue. Can anyone confirm?

I am not sending them off to Corsair and disabling my PC for months (these are both my out takes) so it's that or I give up on Corsair and look for better.

Archived