Corsair Community

H80i letting cpu reach temps of 90-100° while pump sits at 30

fourthcolin

After about one cycle of prime95, chip skyrockets its temp. In genersl the h80i pump never seems to increase its temp alomg woth the cpu, only ranging from about 28degrees to 30, while the cpu goes from 30- 100.

I feel vibrations through the tubing, and the top seems mounted tightly with no wiggle room.

Tried rearranging fan connectors as was listed herehttps://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/h80i-letting-the-cpu-reach-95-degrees-c-panic.2183736/, but no luck.

Running a modest 4.4 OC @40 offset voltage on an i5 8600k. In general the chip ran hot though. Voltage sitting at 1.29-1.32 tops.

The H80i and all other coolers work by dumping heat transferred from the CPU some place else. However, the heat still originates under the CPU at the socket where voltage is applied. All of us are limited by this and the CPU will get too hot with too much voltage/load no matter how large the cooler on the other end.

That said, your coolant to CPU differentia at +60-70C is quite large. Sometimes this is because of not quite perfect contact between cold plate and CPU. However, it also is caused by too much voltage and odd program loads. I use 1.31v to run my 8700K at 5.1 GHz. This seems a bit much for 4.4 GHz. If you are using Auto voltage and running Prime 95 in standard form, you are going to overheat every time no matter what you strap to the CPU.

Can you clarify what Vcore you set in the BIOS? Try running CPU-Z, bench tab, stress test. It is much milder and it is linear. It is also non-AVX so it should remove that aspect as well. AVX + Auto voltage usually leads to crazy results. We've seen MB put out as much as 1.45v to compensate for that and that is guaranteed 100C right there.