Corsair Community

ML120 Fans, Icue, Lighting Hub Pro and Weirdness

Corellon

So I've tried many things but can't seem to make sense of how to fix it, but suspect I know what's going on. Putting it out to the community to see if someone can shed some light on it (Pun intended?)

I have 3 ML120 Pro RGB Fans in my computer, recently purchased.

Each fan is plugged into a specific port (More on this latter) on the RGB Hub, and the hub is plugged into a lighting node pro (Channel 2 as Channel 1 has 4x Light strips connected).

Light strips work correctly, 3 fans are configured in the ICue software on channel 2 but I can only get 2 of the 3 to work.

Fan "1" works if plugged into the RGB Hub port 1, 2 or 3

Fan "2" only works if plugged into RGB Hub port 2 (Even if other fans are on Ports 1 and 3)

Fan "3" does not work if plugged into any port (I have tired setting ICue to 6 fans and tried all 6 ports but only have 3 fans so can't test with all previous ports populated (if that makes a difference)

What I suspect is that since the fans are Addressable RGB and the hub "daisy chains" each device each LED receives an address, for some reason I suspect 2 fans ("2" and "3") are stuck on a certain address (Hence why "2" only works on port 2).

I have tried restarting the service, reinstalling the software, changing all the cables around, moving the fans to channel 1, only using the fans, using Corsair Link instead of Icue, etc but still can't get the 3rd fan to light (or fan "2" to use a port other then 2) power cycling, rebooting, unplugging everything doesn't work either.

Thanks in advance for the assistance,

You are correct that they are daisy chained. But each LED does not get an address. Instead, the control data for each LED is "pushed" onto the control wire. Each LED then "pops" off the first 24 bits (R/G/B) and passes the rest down the chain.

It sounds like you have at least one, maybe two, fans not behaving properly. To validate the fans, you need to be absolutely methodical.

Put a fan in port 1. Does it light? If yes, then put it in port 2. Put another fan in port 1. Does it light? Does fan 2 light? If yes to both, then it's good.

Keep repeating through the fans. Finally, take the first fan, put it on port 1 and then another fan (that works) on port 2.

That's how you validate that the fans work - it has to light up and the next on in the chain also has to light up.

It sounds like you have at least one, maybe two, fans not behaving properly. To validate the fans, you need to be absolutely methodical.

Put a fan in port 1. Does it light? If yes, then put it in port 2. Put another fan in port 1. Does it light? Does fan 2 light? If yes to both, then it's good.

Keep repeating through the fans. Finally, take the first fan, put it on port 1 and then another fan (that works) on port 2.

That's how you validate that the fans work - it has to light up and the next on in the chain also has to light up.

Thanks DevBiker, that confuses me even further now:

I have done the above methodical testing:

"Fan 1" works in ports 1, 2 and 3 (Even if nothing is in ports 1 or 2, or any of the other fans are in ports 1 and 2)

"Fan 2" Works in port 2 only, and only if "Fan 1" is in port 1"

"Fan 3" Doesn't work in any ports.

I can understand why "Fan 3" doesn't work if it's defective, but I'm confused that "Fan 2" only works in port 2, is there any reason it shouldn't be working in port 1?

Edited by Corellon
Confusers is not a real word lol

It doesn't make sense - based on how the fans and the hub operate - that a fan would work in any port other than port 1 if there are no other fans. It also makes no sense that a fan would only work in port 2 and not in port 1.

When you say that the fan work "even if nothing is in ports 1 or 2" ... are you hot-swapping the fans? Is this set to a static color or some kind of pattern? Ideally, you'd want it to be sending a pattern, not static lighting.

I use the "Rainbow" Pattern for the fans, in the first test where it was working in any port I as using "Instant Lighting 'red'" which might explain why it worked when plugged into 2 without anything else plugged in (but the other 2 fans wouldn't work in ports 1 or 3)

Since then I've tired both Hot and Cold swapping using the rainbow pattern and "Fan 2" will only ever work in port 2, "Fan 1" will work in any of the ports (with the other fans plugged in, but sometimes while hot swapping it will still work all alone) and "Fan 3" will not work regardless of port