Corsair Community

AMD 2700x and H100i Temp discrepancy

Subsonicman

I'm having some issues with my pc and could do with some advice. It started having some issues with BSODs and bad disc sectors - long story short, it led to replacing the CPU and motherboard as well as the system SSD.

It's still having fairly big issues though - after a certain amount of time, sometimes minutes, sometimes a few hours and sometimes a couple of days, sometimes under load, sometimes idling, it will suddenly shut off power to the monitors and peripherals, while the system appears to still run, and the only way to power down the system is by cutting the power at the mains. One suspect is the GPU - and I'm testing that, but in the process of troubleshooting this, I've discovered that there is a big discrepancy between the CPU temperature reported by the motherboard (Asus ROG Strix x470F Gaming) and CorsairLink.

The two monitoring apps that come with the motherboard and the CPU are both reporting that the temperature is running between 30°C/86°F and occasionally spiking to 50°C/122°F under very heavy load, but quickly dropping again.

CorsairLink, on the other hand, is reporting that Package temp is regularly 80-90°C/176-194°F approx with a maximum peak of 101°C/213.8°F. At the same time, however, the coolant temperature is reported as around 30°C/86°F.

I've seen elsewhere that there's often a 20°C reporting error that is intentional with the x series, but even if that's the case, clearly, this is far greater than that. While I know there should be a temperature differential between the coolant and the CPU, this also seems excessive as well.

Any ideas?

Bios is flashed to the latest firmware available from Asus. All fans are working (and are brand new, in fact) and are oriented correctly to exhaust the heat properly. The heatsink has been checked for proper application of thermal paste (not too much, not too little, spread evenly, no blank spots etc). The high temp reported by CorsairLink is always like that, it isn't spiking up just before the system crashes. It may be some kind of phantom reporting issue, and nothing to do with the crashes, or a real issue and still unrelated, but I'm just trying to exclude everything.

I’ll take a flier and guess because you have an AMD 2700X. This seems to happen every time AMD first release a new CPU series and there are several other threads complaining of the erroneous temp reading. Is there any reason not to believe the motherboard or AMD’s values? Often, those are the only ones that are effective. If you are running them all at the same time, that may have some consequence as well. Link/iCUE fo not handle competition well. The coolant value should be accurate and Link is the only program polling it. The other readings seem reasonable, although voltage/frequency dependent.

I’m afraid the larger issue is more vexing. My first thoughts go to the power supply, particularly if you are getting a hard shut down straight to an off state. Unfortunately PSU problems can be hard to diagnose and often involve obtaining a second power supply.

I’ll take a flier and guess because you have an AMD 2700X. This seems to happen every time AMD first release a new CPU series and there are several other threads complaining of the erroneous temp reading. Is there any reason not to believe the motherboard or AMD’s values? Often, those are the only ones that are effective. If you are running them all at the same time, that may have some consequence as well. Link/iCUE fo not handle competition well. The coolant value should be accurate and Link is the only program polling it. The other readings seem reasonable, although voltage/frequency dependent.

I’m afraid the larger issue is more vexing. My first thoughts go to the power supply, particularly if you are getting a hard shut down straight to an off state. Unfortunately PSU problems can be hard to diagnose and often involve obtaining a second power supply.

Thanks for that. I'm hoping that's all it is too - I can't imagine it's the other way around. I guess I just wanted confirmation that this is an erroneous read from CorsairLink rather than a bigger issue.

And yes, we did wonder about the PSU too. I guess we'll just have to work through each item in turn and try them out one by one.

Thanks for your reply.

I am having the same issue, there must be something AMD did to change the temp reading and it may require an offset. The latest versions of HDInfo display correctly as does Ryzen Master.

Sorry you're seeing some weird things going on too, but I'm glad to see that its not just me, if you know what I mean! It's weird and annoying, that's for sure.

Archived